www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trim motor/starter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:34 pm 
Tadpole

hello everyone! new to the site and was looking for some help. I have a 2005 funship 214 and need to replace the trim motor and trim relays - starter- and the float switch for the auto bildge. was looking for any input or advice. How difficult/easy? where to find parts at reasonable $$
I was quoted $1500.00 dollars parts and labor and I was thinking about doing it myself.

Post subject: Re: trim motor/starter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I don't have the facts, but these all seem easy if you are somewhat handy with a wrench. All are straight forward, although getting your hands in there to the starter may be challenging. Otherwise, the trim parts should be a few bolts and wires, maybe a hose, and the float switch is just a small box with a few screws and a wire.

$1500 sounds outrageous for what you need.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:17 pm 

Seems expensive; I could probably fly over from the UK and do it for you for the same money, plus have a vacation!

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:24 am 

Well the VP trim motor alone is $400, relays are $20 each maybe, an aftermarket marine starter is $220 and the VP one is over $300, your boat i believe has an auto bilge pump, not a switch, the pump is probably $80. That leaves $750 for labor and fluids, definitely seems a bit excessive. Id be several hundred dollars less than that and we are at $84 an hour.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 am 

Having just done most of these repairs/replacements I would think 4-5 hours labour should do it and that is an amateur like me not somebody who has done it many times.

I say you source all the parts as cheap as you can and attempt the work yourself. Even if it takes you two days... it's more gas or upgrade money in your pocket and you will intimately learn about your boat as you share curse words, scraped knuckles and maybe even the odd deep cut :wink: It won't be easy to reach everything but it's certainly doable.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:36 pm 

I agree with doing this yourself as long as you can gain access, this applies to the starter mostly, the relays are easy to replace and cheap. I'd make sure the trim pump really needs to be replaced as either corroded connections, a bad or sticky relay, or even cut wires inside the throttle control can cause a trim pump not to work. I had a situation where my trim worked fine but I was getting a shock if I trimmed down and had my hands on both the throttle control and the metal destroyer wheel on my boat...I took the throttle control apart and sealed up the bare spot on the down wire and then glued the grommet that holds all the trim wires in place and no more shock!
Finally if you have to disconnect trim lines use a proper flare wrench, they are like brake line fittings and a regular open end wrench can round off the flats on the fitting...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:15 pm 

I would think removing the engine cover altogether would help you gain some access to the trim pump/motor.

The bilge pump float switch should be a piece of cake if it is a separate switch, or just replace the entire unit with an integrated pump/switch. Either way, pretty easy access on the FS214.

Not sure on the starter - I'd have to take a look at mine to see how it is positioned.

As other have said, I'd try to do the work myself to save some $$. If you get stuck or just too pissed of to finish it up, it should cost you any more for them to complete the work....