www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat won't pull or plane
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:46 pm 
Guppy

Just got to my Funship 234 and drove it 200+ miles to lake in TN from KY. Everything ran fine when I put it on the hydrohoist a few weeks back. Got it to the lake, and the boat really won't pull or take off fast? I cannot figure out if a propeller problem or something else? Depth gauge not working right either. I wonder if something came loose in the drive or something else happened. Does anyone have any thoughts? I can get the engine up to 4000 rpm, but speed only about 20mph.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 am 
Guppy

spun prop?

Upon inspection..prop looks fine and good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:21 am 
email admin your custom rank

First of all, there are several guys on this forum who have forgotten more about these types of issues than I'll ever know. So at least maybe I can help by giving you a bump.

The first thing I would check would be to verify you have the proper size prop for your boat. Assuming so, then it sounds like something is robbing your engine of power. This could be several things including water in the fuel, bad fuel filter, bad fuel pump, etc. Start with the simple stuff first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:41 pm 

Year, engine, drive?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:21 pm 

Like JDW I'd be looking at the fuel system in this age of E10 gas.... E10 has a shelf life in a boat on the water of about 3-4 weeks, so if your fuel's older than this it can well be a problem. In addition if your boat is pre-2003, then the fuel system is probably unable to cope with ethanol... ethanol also cleans out your fuel tank and all the crap in it and will quickly clog your fuel filter.

So my suggestions - change your gas and change your fuel filter. Try it out. If still not fixed, then next candidate is the fuel pump.. but by the sounds if it my money will be bad gas. :shock:

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:06 pm 
Guppy

Aussie_Horizon_190 wrote:
Like JDW I'd be looking at the fuel system in this age of E10 gas.... E10 has a shelf life in a boat on the water of about 3-4 weeks, so if your fuel's older than this it can well be a problem. In addition if your boat is pre-2003, then the fuel system is probably unable to cope with ethanol... ethanol also cleans out your fuel tank and all the crap in it and will quickly clog your fuel filter.

So my suggestions - change your gas and change your fuel filter. Try it out. If still not fixed, then next candidate is the fuel pump.. but by the sounds if it my money will be bad gas. :shock:

Boat not stuttering...and it starts fine... Fuel is about 3 weeks old. I appreciate the info...spun prop out of the question since prop is new and has worked fine all year. Boat just seems like I'm putting higher rpm out to get slower speed than I'm used to. I cannot figure it out?

I've refueled since getting to new lake in TN and boat still not getting up to speeds I'm accustomed to.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:03 am 
Sting Ray

jcarli00 wrote:
Boat not stuttering...and it starts fine... Fuel is about 3 weeks old. I appreciate the info...spun prop out of the question since prop is new and has worked fine all year. Boat just seems like I'm putting higher rpm out to get slower speed than I'm used to. I cannot figure it out?

I've refueled since getting to new lake in TN and boat still not getting up to speeds I'm accustomed to.

Why do you think the spun prop is out of the question? If you are spinning the prop shaft at whatever speed 4000 rpm is, and the propeller is not spinning that speed, then it would sound to me that the prop hub is spinning, and not the fins...if there is not obvious damage to the prop upon inspection. You mentioned getting her up to 4000 rpms. Does the engine rev there normally, or does it take a while? Does it pull nicely from 0-10 or 15 mphs? Any other unusual characteristics since last running the boat normally?

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 am 

If your gas is questionable, make sure you are using Stabil. In addition, I use a fuel enzyme. Ethanol is a killer.....

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:19 am 

Sounds like a problem my friend had on his boat it was the fuel. He put new fuel in it and changed the fuel water seperater and the problem was fixed. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:38 am 
Sting Ray

jcarli00 wrote:
Just got to my Funship 234 and drove it 200+ miles to lake in TN from KY. Everything ran fine when I put it on the hydrohoist a few weeks back. Got it to the lake, and the boat really won't pull or take off fast? I cannot figure out if a propeller problem or something else? Depth gauge not working right either. I wonder if something came loose in the drive or something else happened. Does anyone have any thoughts? I can get the engine up to 4000 rpm, but speed only about 20mph.

Thinking back on this...When you said you could get the engine up to 4,000 rpm's, do you mean in neutral, or in gear?

Reason I am asking...if you can rev the engine in neutral, but not in gear, then it is most likely a fuel issue.
If I was right in understanding you that you can rev it up to 4,000 while underway, in gear, then I stand that I think it is most likely a spun hub in the prop. (ie: shaft is spinning within the actual rubber hub of the propeller.)

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:31 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Agreed with the spun prop...
I had a busted shift cable. Dealer fixed under warranty, tested on the muffs and sent me on my way. The following weekend (holiday) I launch, putt out past the buoys and gun it. It would almost plane out before faultering. Fuming, I took it back to dealer as they were closing. I missed out on that weekend, and the next business day they called and said my hub (the plastic insert) had disintegrated. I was PO'd only because I had a spare, but didn't bother to try to solve the problem myself.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.