www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 1997 205 Sundowner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

So I just got me new boat. Picked it up Saturday and took it out on the river today. Figured I'd post some pic up. Its awsome. It has the 5.7 liter fuel injected motor with the dual props. It is great out of the hole, and has awsome throttle responce. I'm very happy with it. It has 514 hours on it and is spotless. Perfect interior and exterior. Has the camper top w/ the moring cover as well as the whole boat storage cover. All the covers we in the original packaging and are perfect. Someone really took care of this boat.

Tow Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited SOLD
1999 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 SOLD
2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 6.0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:48 am 
Clownfish

Congratulations lindeman23! Great looking boat!

I'm picking up my new 205 tomorrow and can't wait! We're up in Dayton, OH and usually put in at Caesar's Creek. We have not made it onto the river yet but maybe we could hook up this summer sometime. Where in Northern KY are you?

Here are a few picks of our newest:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 pm 

jf210mpd wrote:
Congratulations lindeman23! Great looking boat!

I'm picking up my new 205 tomorrow and can't wait! We're up in Dayton, OH and usually put in at Caesar's Creek. We have not made it onto the river yet but maybe we could hook up this summer sometime. Where in Northern KY are you?

Here are a few picks of our newest:

Its a small world. I found your boat at Lodders marine and when I went to go look at it they told me that it was sold. I must have looked at those pictures 100 times. I guess you were the one that bought it. It looks like a really clean well taken care of boat which was why I wanted to look at it. I was in the process of trying to sell my 96 FW 170 Horizon and didn't sell it soon enough for me to go buy yours. But I guess everything works out for a reason, they wanted a little more than I wanted to spend, but I found my new one and couldn't be happier. I live in Ft. Thomas which is about 5 min from Cincinnati and the river. That would be cool to hook up sometime. I usually put in on the Licking river which dumps into the Ohio right acrost the river from the stadiums and then head up river towards the dam. We end up dropping anchor around New Richmont or by Riverdowns. How is Cesars Creek? I have heard about it before just haven't made the trip up there yet. Congrats on the new boat, you'll have to let me know how it works out for you once you take it out on the water.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:04 am 
Clownfish

lindeman,

We picked up the 205 yesterday and played with it in the driveway all evening. We put up the camper canvas (which had never been used), broke in the cuddy, and tried to figure out where to put all our stuff. We are hoping to get her in the water real soon.

Hope you are enjoying yours. She looks real good in your pictures. Don't worry about the hours. Like the other guys said, if the boat has been well taken care of you shouldn't have any problems. Just continue to take care of her and she'll take care of you.

Maybe you can help another new 205 owner- I can't seem to find where the cockpit table top and v-berth filler boards are supposed to be stored- how is your's set up?

Thanks,
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:18 am 

jf210mpd wrote:
lindeman,

We picked up the 205 yesterday and played with it in the driveway all evening. We put up the camper canvas (which had never been used), broke in the cuddy, and tried to figure out where to put all our stuff. We are hoping to get her in the water real soon.

Hope you are enjoying yours. She looks real good in your pictures. Don't worry about the hours. Like the other guys said, if the boat has been well taken care of you shouldn't have any problems. Just continue to take care of her and she'll take care of you.

Maybe you can help another new 205 owner- I can't seem to find where the cockpit table top and v-berth filler boards are supposed to be stored- how is your's set up?

Thanks,
Joe

The cockpit table in mine stores on the right wall of the cuddy cab. When you open the cuddy door its the wall where the hindges for the door are, on the other side on the steering wheel. Thats where mine is stored, there is a white strap that holds it in place. Now the v-berth filler boards I haven't the slightest clue where those are supposed to be stored. I put mine underneath the cushions in the cuddy. I wish I could find a better place for them but thats the only place I could find that they were out of the way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:03 am 

jf210mpd wrote:

Thanks,
Joe

On my '04 225, we did not find any good spot to store the cockpit table top while we were on the boat. Most of the time we left the table top at home. On my 225, the v-berth filler boards were 4 small boards that tucked away nicely next to the portipotty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:13 am 
Clownfish

I put the filler boards there but will put them under the cuddy cushion instead. The table has no where else good so I will put that on the wall with the white strap. What boggles me is that next to the driver's seat on the floor are two guides (somewhat like the cleats you can put down to keep a cooler from moving around) that I have no idea what they are for. I was guessing the table or filler boards but neither are sized right to fit there. Do you have that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:17 pm 

I had those on my '99 225. Someone mentioned a while back those are for storing the doors to the cuddy, which just lift off the hinges.

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:23 pm 
Sting Ray

Great lookin boat. My table and filler boards store behind the helm with a strap too. The large cabin door stores next to the drivers seat, look for the white plastic tabs on the flor and locking bar on the lower shelf. I removed the head from under the deck and store my extra props in its place.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:20 pm 

Graham R wrote:
I had those on my '99 225. Someone mentioned a while back those are for storing the doors to the cuddy, which just lift off the hinges.

Graham

That is correct.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:29 pm 

Graham R wrote:

Graham

Thats great to know... I was wondering what those little white cleats were for... I thought maybe a fire extinguisher or something...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:52 pm 

Another questions for other Sundowner owners. Mine has a small sink in the cuddy. I know you fill it on the passenger side rear. Does anyone know how big the tank is. Is there a water pump that pressurized the line to the sink? Is there any maintance that is required for the sink? Can you fill the tank and leave the water in there till its emptly??? I'm never had anything like this before so I'm totaly clueless. Thanks NEIL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:35 pm 
Clownfish

Took mine out today for the first time. What a wonderful boat! Only trouble I had was getting it on and off the trailer. We had to put the trailer further in the water than I was use to with my Bayliner. Question: How do you guys unhook/hook the winch strap to the bow eye with these bigger boats? I use to just lean over the front from the bow and do it on my other boat but I can't reach on this one. And with the trailer so far in the water, I would get soaked trying to get to it from the ramp. Any suggestions? Question 2: How do you work the depth finder/alarm? That thing kept beeping constantly driving me crazy! What are your settings?

lindeman,
The previous owner of mine gave me everything including the original owner's manual and FW brochure for '98. I browsed over it and I know it had the specifications and operation for your sink. Just off what I remember, the pump is at the transom port side and I believe the capacity was 7 gallons. I can check and get details for you if no one else knows them off the top of their head.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:55 pm 

jf210mpd wrote:
Took mine out today for the first time. What a wonderful boat! Only trouble I had was getting it on and off the trailer. We had to put the trailer further in the water than I was use to with my Bayliner. Question: How do you guys unhook/hook the winch strap to the bow eye with these bigger boats? I use to just lean over the front from the bow and do it on my other boat but I can't reach on this one. And with the trailer so far in the water, I would get soaked trying to get to it from the ramp. Any suggestions? Question 2: How do you work the depth finder/alarm? That thing kept beeping constantly driving me crazy! What are your settings?

lindeman,
The previous owner of mine gave me everything including the original owner's manual and FW brochure for '98. I browsed over it and I know it had the specifications and operation for your sink. Just off what I remember, the pump is at the transom port side and I believe the capacity was 7 gallons. I can check and get details for you if no one else knows them off the top of their head.

Glad everything went well on your first outing. Just curiouse because you have the 5.0, what was your top speed? Your are right about the unloading and loading thing. I did the same thing. When I'm loading the boat to leave I try not to submerge the trailer as far in the water, as when I'm launching it. I leave the very front of the skids bairly sticking out of the water, which this time kept the tongue out of the water. Launching it I had to step in the water to unhook. I had to stand on the tongue of the trailer and reach down and hook it that way. My arms weren't long enought to lay arcoss the top of the cuddy to reach the hook. I cannot see any other way of doing it. Thankfully the ramp I use isn't very deap so I didn't have to stand in the water to load it. My FW depth finder doesn't work. The previous owner installed a "hummingbird" depth finder next to the throttle. I haven't mastered that yet either, as it beeps when I get below like 5 feet or something. Yes I would appriciate the info on the sink as I have no idea how it works. Thanks NEIL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:21 pm 
Clownfish

lindeman23,

Here is the info I found in the owner's manual regarding the cockpit sink. It does not list the optional cabin sink for the 205 but most items should apply-
Capacity is 7 gallons and holding tank is either port bow storage or below companionway step. The fill says it is port, forward of sink but I think yours is port, transom. It is equipped with an overboard vent. When you fill watch the vent, when the tank is full water will spurt out the vent. Never seal the hose to the deck plate. The tank would become pressurized and could rupture. Products such as Sudbury's Aqua-Fresh and Pettibone's Aquabon are effective for improving water quality and taste. It suggests disinfecting system before each season using the following guidelines: 1. Flush the boat's water system thoroughly with fresh water. Make sure all anti-freeze is removed from the system. 2. The water system should be drained completely. 3. To disinfect the water system, use one gallon of water and 1/4 cup of Clorox or Purex household bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite solution). This is recommended for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. 4. Allow to stand for three hours. If time is a factor, greater concentrations of chlorine solution will be needed to disinfect the water system. 5. Drain the system. 6. Flush the system thoroughly with fresh water. 7. Fill the system with fresh water. The cockpit sinks are equipped with traps, and the water will drain slowly. If the system is not operating properly, have it checked by your authorized Four Winns dealer. The water pump for the cockpit sink is located below the sink and will draw water when the switch is operated. The switch is located next to the faucet. After the tank has been filled, operate the pump switch until water comes out of the faucet. After air has been purged and water flows steadily, turn off the pump. Do not operate the pump with an empty tank as damage could result.

I am not certain if any of this is correct for your setup but it might get you started along the right course.

Joe