www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:58 am 
Shark

Slow and steady, it's not a race. Keep up the hard work and keep the pics coming!

:)

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:42 am 
Seahorse

Canadiansrt,
Lookin good so far. I had to replace the engine box, it had rot. Mine had fiberglass over the plywood but it stopped short of the bottom edge so it was rotting from the bottom up. Previous owner replaced the rotten step with a pine board that warped badly. Covered the new box inside and out with fiberglass. It will probably outlast the boat but I believe the glass also helped quiet the engine noise. I used formica covered plywood (both sides) for the step. Glued the noise dampening foam back in.Turned out as good as or better than new.
Keep on keepen on.

'90 255 Sundowner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:06 pm 
Shark

Richard Chappel wrote:
Canadiansrt,
Lookin good so far. I had to replace the engine box, it had rot. Mine had fiberglass over the plywood but it stopped short of the bottom edge so it was rotting from the bottom up. Previous owner replaced the rotten step with a pine board that warped badly. Covered the new box inside and out with fiberglass. It will probably outlast the boat but I believe the glass also helped quiet the engine noise. I used formica covered plywood (both sides) for the step. Glued the noise dampening foam back in.Turned out as good as or better than new.
Keep on keepen on.

'90 255 Sundowner

Sounds like a nice doghouse, got any pics of the process or finished product Richard?

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:00 pm 
Clownfish

Seahorse

You have any photos of the before/after? Curious to look at it.

My engine bay will need to be looked at once the motor can be pulled because I see one of the mount frames is bowing so most likely will replace with pressure treated plywood and glassed over as I plan on doing that to the new floor once put in and the engine cover as well. Plus foam to dampen the engine noise

Used to own- mint 1974 amf 235 slickcraft. One greatly missed boat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 am 
Seahorse

I disassembled the original box and replaced it all assembling with wood screws instead of staples. Used the old carpet as a pattern for the new.
Don't forget to use monel staples for the carpet. They won't rust.
If you choose to cover the box entirely with fiberglass you won't need pressure treated or marine plywood.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:38 pm 
Clownfish

That turned out extremely well. Can't wait for mine to turn to that point

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:45 am 
Clownfish

Well the Chicago weather I think finally hit fall temperatures for good. Because we went from a 82 afternoon high to that night dropping to 40's.

So with that being said I cut my losses this yr with the boat progress and will have to recontinue next spring. But I was glad that before the weather turned real cold that I got to wash it and put on a nice wax witch just those two proceses have brought the color back into the paint. I'm real happy with how it is coming along. I have photos of it covered for the yr. wish I could have shown the after wax result but it got to late for me to get any good photos. But from what you can see a nice coat of paint and with a small amount of elbow grease the burgandy has come back from the first photo of me pulling it into my driveway.

I plan on adding any new information over the winter as I will talk to my boat guy to figure out how we can get a running motor back into the boat and figure out how soon we can get it situated for a water test and ride. I'm hoping for any time next yr but that all depends on if the time and funds fall into place.

As I have seen with the 500 some views hope the limited photos have gotten you all some good reads and if anything I done has helped.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab81 ... B55DA7.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:54 am 
Clownfish

Well spring I think is finally here to stay. So with that being said, hopefully I will get back into it this Saturday. Plan on starting with getting the front hatch opened and cleaned sense it was seized in the fall. Then the plan after that is to start tearing more into the cockpit to clean, remove replace any parts that can't be salvaged. I will need to find a buddy who can help me pull the block one of these days so I can get a shop to get it cleaned up so I can start rebuilding it.

So if I have any good progress I will surely add more photos for y'all to glance at. I haven't given up on this. Luckily I still see the diamond in the rough for it. I'm hoping to maybe have it going by fall but we shall see. Want to set a goal so I can keep pushing myself so its not just a shiny driveway ornament. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 pm 
Clownfish

Well lock broke! Go figure but got it opened up be removing the screws. Nice to see ill save a couple $$ because it still has a decent anchor chain and rope.

But the wood under the spot light like everything else was rotting away. So removed the rotted wood and replaced with some left over treated wood that I used for the engine cover. Also cleaned up the wires for the spot light and the safety light to ensure they will be clean and ready once it's time to use them.

The cover has a lite split in it. Not a huge deal for me but did clean the area up and just sealed it to prevent it from getting any worse. I also am going to add a seal sense the original is in need of replacement. I dont have many more photos to show but if my old link does t work any more this new one should.

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/canadi ... boat%20pix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 am 
Clownfish

Well this is now turned into a parts boat. There's things that are going to cost/repair over its worth and money that I really want to throw into this project so it will be torn down broken down and sold for parts so any interest in parts of the boat or engine lmk.

I have a fs thread made up with all the info if you wana go and check it out