www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:08 am 
Minnow

Hey fellow boaters I feel that I am getting a whole lot of help from every one's input and I thank you and hope I too will be able to help some one out as I learn with time and trial and error.My question is I want to change my points ignition to a electronic one but it must work with the esa on my boat ( 5.8 1992 omc cobra ) Where can I order this from every thing Ignitor 11 and conversion and what ever else I would need and one that does not need a radio shack circuit built.I hear this would make my shifting smoother and gain up to 25 more horse power.The end of the season last year I noticed my tack all over the place and my shifting was causing sputering and was told it was most likly tied into the ignition.I removed my out drive and detatched shift and throtle cables from engine all move very smooth so I assume my cables are fine.
Thank you so much and happy boating
Jamiesboat :?:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 pm 
email admin your custom rank

It will make it more reliable for sure, better start up, but doubt much hp gain.
You should be able to get a conversion kit at any marine store, very easy to do on that ford engine with distributor in front.

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 am 
email admin your custom rank

Jamiesboat wrote:
The end of the season last year I noticed my tack all over the place and my shifting was causing sputering and was told it was most likly tied into the ignition.I removed my out drive and detatched shift and throtle cables from engine all move very smooth so I assume my cables are fine.
Jamiesboat :?:

If you have one of these on the top of your engine, then you have an Cobra ESA system.

Your sputtering when shifting is likely caused by the Cobra ESA system, which intentionally cuts out some cylinders during shifting so that the dog clutch can engage/disengage easier. It should only do this for less than a second while shifting, however if your cables are stiff, or any part of the shift system is out of adjustment, then the system can get stuck in that mode where it is causing sputtering.

Please search "ESA" for more information.
"Electronic Shift Assist"

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings