www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:37 pm 
Guppy

I have a 1995, 195 sundowner with the fuel injected ford 5.0 engine. After turning off the ignition on a pond (all fresh water bodies of water on Cape Cod are considered Ponds no matter how big) for about a half hour, I couldn't restart the engine. No dash gauges or starter. The battery was fine. After being towed back to the boat launch, getting it on the trailer and home, I started trouble shooting. All fuses were fine that I could locate. I got it fixed, gauges were back and the engine started but I'm not sure what the actual culprit was. I hate it when that happens! I pulled apart the two large molex wire harness connectors under the dash and I think that was what finally fixed the issue although they all were corrosion free and looked fine. The ignition switch and safety switch with the lariat all checked out on my initial checks.

My main question here is:
Looking at my Volvo Penta manual and reading similar issues on this forum, there is suppose to be an "ECA, Trim and dash panel circuit breaker" at the front left side of the engine. When I look at my engine it is identical to the drawing in my service manual but I'll be damned if I can see any push able circuit breaker there. Also there are suppose to be a couple more located on the engine.
It's been raining here for 3 days so I haven't been able to really get into further investigations. Am I missing something here?

Is there anyone on this forum with setup similar to mine that knows where the circuit breakers are on the engine?

Thanks, Don

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome! Always glad to see another Sundowner join up. Now to your prob...

anderdea wrote:
The ignition switch and safety switch with the lariat all checked out on my initial checks.

Sometimes I have to jiggle,wiggle, and turn my key back and forth a few times (not enough to engage the starter tho). A new ignition switch is on my short list.

anderdea wrote:
When I look at my engine it is identical to the drawing in my service manual but I'll be damned if I can see any push able circuit breaker there. Also there are suppose to be a couple more located on the engine.

As you look at the engine, on the left exhaust manifold riser is a panel with 2 (or 3) red breaker buttons. I have the 5.0 Ford same as you, and that's where mine are.

Hope this helps...

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 am 
Guppy

NiagaraChillin,
Thanks for the quick response. I believe that the ignition switch is OK as I removed it from the boat during my initial tests and put it through the ringer using a volt, ohm meter. When it stops raining here at the a Cape (now going on 4 days) I'll take my new cover off the boat and see if I can locate the circuit breakers you mentioned. I think I remember seeing a black box on that side of the engine but I didn't see any red buttons. Do I need to pull a cover off that box to access the buttons?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 am 

anderdea wrote:
I think I remember seeing a black box on that side of the engine but I didn't see any red buttons. Do I need to pull a cover off that box to access the buttons?

Nope, they are "exposed", no panel. However, sometimes the red covers on the buttons wear off or people paint them, or they get coated with grime, so they might not be red anymore. If it ain't raining this afternoon, I'll grab a picture of mine and post it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:42 pm 
Guppy

Well I found one of the reset relays. In the book it says it's the "fuel pump circuit breaker & relay" located on the port side of the engine next to the oil dip stick. I looked pretty close and that was the only one I saw. Also I think I discovered what had caused the original electrical issue. While I was running the engine, I bumped the wiring near the ECA unit on the upper starboard side of the engine and the engine quit. There is a large wire harness connector (big 1.5 inch rubber housing) in that area. It appeared to be Not totally plugged together. I separted the connector, cleaned it and the multi number of large contact pins an plugged it back together. It appears at one time there had been a 2 inch hose clamp holding the connector together that was missing. I installed a new clamp and all seems well.

I would still like to see a photo if you get a chance when your weather is better.

Thanks, Don

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:28 pm 

Here are some pictures of the circuit breakers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:00 am 

fiznuka wrote:
Here are some pictures of the circuit breakers.

Thanks, was raining here last night, couldn't get to it. Well there ya go anderdea, thats exactly what my 5.0 looks like. How bout yours?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am 
Guppy

Thanks, for the pics. Nice clean engine. Mine is the fuel injected version and is totally different than yours. Also it's VERY difficult to get to as I have the captains seat option and pull out bench type seat in the back with a full hinged platform over the engine compartment. All that has to be unscrewed and removed to do anything on the engine. One of the things I want to do as I don't know what kind of shape it's in is to change the raw water impeller. Maybe this Fall. Where do you get parts for you engine. I don't have a clue where I can purchase the impeller, gaskets and large water hoses. My hoses are the originals and should be replaced.

Ford engine:
Model 50FAPHUE
SN T01285685

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 am 

anderdea wrote:
I don't have a clue where I can purchase the impeller, gaskets and large water hoses.

I use Marine Parts Express for impeller kits, heres a link to the parts list for your engine:
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com:8080/empress2/servlet/Impart?level=four&ID=238

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the link.
Was going to post some pictures but not sure how to do it in this forum. I read the Faq but still not clear.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 am 

Try this for pic posting:
http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1877

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm 
Guppy

Well I am going to try to upload some pics. You will be able to see how tight my engine compartment is and the interior layout. Also the first pic shows the location of the only reset button I could find.