www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:42 pm 
Starfish

Just recently purchased a the ESP for my 1999 Sundowner 245. Unfortunately, FW does not include a set of instructions on how to install. There have been several inquiries on this same topic in the past but the links and pictures on those past posts are not working or have been deleted. Going through the hardware FW provided with the ESP, I can pretty much figure out that the 5 large bolts washers and lock nuts go through the ESP into the existing swim platform area on the stern. Understand the holes all need to be sealed with 3M 5200. Also included were 8 SS oval head phillips wood screws--these look like they are used to attach the two SS supports to the transom. There are a number of smaller phillips headed screws and some others with lock nuts. Best I can tell, these would be used to attach the ladder and ladder cover to the new ESP. I noticed that there are two areas under the ESP that appear to be thicker or re-inforced. I assume this is where the tops of the two supports are supposed to rest when the ESP is mounted. Here are my questions, (1) are any screws used to attach the top of the supports to the bottom of the ESP? (2) am I correct that the supports rest on these two areas that appear to be thicker or re-inforced? (3) does anyone have any good pictures of a top mounted ESP that clearly show how the ESP is attached particularly the supports from below. Thanks for any help you can lend.

George

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:47 pm 
Starfish

I managed to get a copy of the instructions for installing an ESP to a 245 Sundowner. However, this is for a later model SD and the ESP mounts below the existing swim platform unlike the model I have. Nonetheless, it does provide some useful info regarding the placement of the supports. This info along with some photos I was able to attend of earlier model SDs will help.
thx

George

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:34 pm 
Starfish

I can post the copy of instructions I have if I can figure out how to post an attachment. I got into the back of the boat the other day and took a look under the existing short swim platform--this is a 1999 SD245. The OEM ESP fits right over this existing platform and attaches with 5 bolts, nuts and washers through the top of the new ESP. Was concerned how much room there is under the engine bay to get access to the bolts but this will not be an issue--plenty of room and line of sight there. The supports attach on either side of the transom with (4) #14 x 1-3/4" PHP stainless steel tapping screws per support. The other end of each support attaches to the underside of the ESP at a re-enforced area on either side with (4) #14x 3/4" PHP screws. I'm still torn between drilling into the transom with an 11/64" drill for the pilot holes per the FW customer service rep and then coating the screws liberally with either 3m 4200 or 5200 or following some of the sage advice elsewhere on the Forum suggesting drilling oversized holes, filling with epoxy and then tapping through the epoxy with the screws to ensure a more watertight seal. Have heard others say this is really overkill and the 4200 or 5200 should suffice. Ideas? :P