www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: power trim not working
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:37 am 
Guppy

I have a 1991 sundowner with a king cobra out drive and 5.8L 351 Ford engine had it out yesterday and everything started out well and everything was working, got into deep water and lowered the outdrive and throttled up but noticed when I tried to plane off that the tilt/trim wasnt working, played around with it and it definitely seems electrical because I dont hear the pump or see my electrical gauge showing any drain. Any idea? Circuit breakers arent tripped. Also tried to bring outdrive up with the release on the pump but couldnt turn the screw is there some secret to that was turning it ccw like maunal said.
Any help appreciated
I got my unit up manually, and checked for power and have power going to switch in throttle lever but none back at plug by 50amp circuit breakers, I had someone engaging switch, just wondering if contacts sealed in plastic on switch are bad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 pm 
Sting Ray

not sure if your contacts are bad but did you try resetting the breaker anyway? that was the problem with mine, it was shorted in the throttle housing and tripped the breaker, hard to visually see if the breaker was tripped

1994 Freedom 170
OMC Cobra (by Volvo Penta) 3.0L

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:51 am 
email admin your custom rank

It could be broken wires in the throttle control, corrosion on the terminals at the relays, or motor, or just corrosion on the battery cables. The trim pump pulls a lot of amps. Start at your battery terminals, make sure the terminal for the large red cable on the starter solenoid and the ground on the engine bell housing are clean and tight. Next check any fuses or circuit breakers in the circuit. Check the trim relay terminals and the ones on the motor itself. Mine just has the old fashioned Ford starter type relays where you can easily see any corrosion, the newer ones use push on terminals that you have to pull apart to see. If you can get a wiring diagram, you can test to see if the trim switch at the throttle control is sending current to the relays; that would rule out the trim switch. If you have current there from trim switch and there is battery voltage at the relays, then its either the relay or the trim motor itself. I think from memory the blue wire is for the the up relay (Blue sky=up) green is down (green grass=down)...
Some years back I was getting a shock from trimming up on my boat, while holding the throttle control and steering wheel (stainless steel) at the same time. The cause was a partly rubbed through wire inside the throttle control handle touching the handle. I guess the steering wheel is grounded somewhere (where the cable attaches to the engine)..lol..so if I had my hands on both and trimmed I completed the ground circuit.....fixed that with liquid electric tape. Now if the throttle handle itself was grounded that would have blown a fuse instead.
Next time I have trouble with it I'm just replacing the old control with new. Can't get the parts for the old OMC controls anymore.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 am 
Sting Ray

Might be unrelated because I've got a 2005 model, but I had a problem with my power trim not working once which turned out to be very simple.

I have a dual battery set up with change over switch. However (unknown to me) the power trim pump is hard-wired to always run off the starboard side (#2) battery. That battery had gone so flat that it wouldn't drive the trim pump and, because I was running on battery #1, I wasn't aware of just how flat #2 was.

Result was that everything else was working fine (off battery #1) but power trim wasn't working at all. After chasing down the problem I felt like a goose when I realised I just had a flat battery!

Not sure why Four Winns hard-wires the Trim pump to one battery?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:57 am 
Guppy

Same issue with my '03 205...Check the connection on top of engine where the elec systems connect.
You have a plugin from onboard elec system to the engine. Mine had worked loose. Take it completely
apart and reconnect. Should do it. 8)