www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:09 am 
Guppy

Howdy all
Gus here and I'm a new 2006 5.0L mpi 215 owner :)
I was wondering if there are any issues major/minor with this model
I'm fitting her with trim tabs and making a removable balustrade for the swim deck so it can be used as a social area as well
Will post photos when done :) :) :) :)

Gus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:35 am 
email admin your custom rank

Congrats on the new boat. The 5.0L MPI is a good engine. Which outdrive do you have?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:12 am 
Sting Ray

Hi Gus,

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Good to see another Aussie member. Usual rule around here is it isn't real until you post a photo...

I have the same boat (actually a Dec 2005 build so it's still badged as a 205 - but it's actually the 2006 model).

I'm looking to fit trim tabs to mine too, so look forward to seeing pics of yours when you fit them. I've already got removable posts and bait board on the back of my swim deck which makes a reasonable balustrade and doubles as a shelf for a BabyQ Webber BBQ. This has worked out great for overnight stays etc. Have also added a electric chest fridge and added a folding solar panel that I can hook over the bow rail to make sure I don't flatten the batteries (Particularly useful when staying out over a couple of nights with the fridge/lights running etc).

My wish list still includes a bow sprit and windlass, trim tabs (as mentioned), a four blade prop and a wakeboard tower. However the wife wants a bigger boat and doesn't want to spend the money on this one.

We've had the boat for nearly 4 yrs now and we love it. A very good all round boat.

I wouldn't say they're common problems but problems I've had include:
Fuel pump problem (the Cool Fuel Gen 2 module corrodes around the water fittings which stops the cooling water flow to the fuel pump - the pump heats up and you get vapour lock which exhibits as the engine not starting when engine is hot). New Gen3 pump fitted.
Overheating prob due to blocked water flow thru the transom engine mount - apparently a common Mercruiser prob with a Bravo drive. I've installed a thru hull water pick up to make sure I don't suffer this again.
Wet carpet in cabin due to water coming in from the around the engine hatch, then travelling under the cockpit floor into the cabin.
Water in crankcase oil due to me waiting too long to replace manifolds & risers. They were 10yrs old and suggested rule-of-thumb would be to replace (or at least check) after 6yrs of salt water use. Risers had corroded and water got back into the cylinders and crankcase thru the exhaust manifold (I was very lucky it didn't trash the engine completely).
Trailer springs cracked (both sides) on one axle - replaced all 4 leaf springs.

I've posted all of the above in various threads on this forum. Not trying to alarm you - just passing on info that may/may not help.

The most expensive of all the above has bee the manifold/riser replacements and if I was doing it now I'd replace them with the Hytech stainless steel ones instead...

All in all these issues haven't been too bad and a small price to pay really for the amount of enjoyment we've had (and still have) out on the water.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers - Ric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:31 am 
Guppy

Hi GottWhat sorry for the delay in replying It has a Bravo 1 leg i was thinking of a Bravo 3 leg however on reading up on the difference I've decided on staying with the Bravo leg :) :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 am 
Guppy

Hi Raft61,
Yea found another Aussie :) :) :)
Where did you purchase your "removable posts and bait board on the back of my swim deck which makes a reasonable balustrade and doubles as a shelf for a BabyQ Webber BBQ"
as my supplier wants 4,500.00 just for the Balustrade on it's own

My boat has only ever been in fresh water so the corrosion what be as bad ( bloody fingers crossed lol )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

A1oz wrote:
Hi GottWhat sorry for the delay in replying It has a Bravo 1 leg i was thinking of a Bravo 3 leg however on reading up on the difference I've decided on staying with the Bravo leg :) :)

The Bravo drives are strong, especially compared to the entry-level Alpha drives. You can tell the difference between Bravo 1 & 3 as the Bravo 1 is a single prop and Bravo 3 has twin, counter-rotating props.

Happy boating ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:47 am 
Sting Ray

It was the previous owner who put it on. I think he said he got the rod holder/bait board on posts from Bias (but I've seen similar elsewhere). He got some straight rod holders which he fitted into the swim platform. The posts slot into the rod holders on the swim platform. Drilled some holes through the bottom of the rod holder and post and put a bolt and wing nut so they can be unbolted and removed when not needed (eg skiing).

I'll post some pics, it'll make more sense.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:25 pm 
Guppy

Cheers Ric I'd appreciate it

Gus