www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:28 pm 
Starfish

Some of you may have seen another thread started by me about buying a 99' 245 sundowner. Well everything looks alright and before I paid I asked them to give it a inspection,so far the engine side of things is good "really nothing out of the ordinary is wrong" However they said they see some dry rot in the bellows and will need replacing. I forget the exact total but it was around a $1,000-$1,200 which included all bellows,seal kit,shift linkage and what ever odds and ends needed to complete the job. Ok,I thought that was a bit high,,had buddies bring their boats t the shop for bellows and it only ran around $700-$800 but these were mercs ,so im not sure if there is a difference and make it cost that much more?

But the problem that hit me the most was that he said,when replacing the bellows they would remove a housing and have to drive out two pins and there is a good chance they could crack that housing while removing the pins,And if they do it will be a extra $800 to replace the housing. Does all this sound right?

I mean the boat was decent,havent bought it yet,I can still run away and only have to pay $270 for the work that was already done. But considering all the work and the price I would pay for the boat I would still be just under blue book and know everything is new back there.

I guess Id just like to know if cracking the housing is a common problem when doing this job,,and does the repair cost sound about right?

***It also includes anodes,drive fluid****

Last edited by ProfitOfDoom on Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:43 pm 
268 Vista

Sure, cracking the housing is possible. Quite unlikely unless they employ shadetree mechanics that eat
tree bark for lunch.
I'd try a different shop, or just walk and get a cuddy with Merc and no VDO gauge cluster.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

ProfitOfDoom wrote:
Some of you may have seen another thread started by me about buying a 99' 245 sundowner. Well everything looks alright and before I paid I asked them to give it a inspection,so far the engine side of things is good "really nothing out of the ordinary is wrong" However they said they see some dry rot in the bellows and will need replacing. I forget the exact total but it was around a $1,000-$1,200 which included all bellows,seal kit,shift linkage and what ever odds and ends needed to complete the job. Ok,I thought that was a bit high,,had buddies bring their boats t the shop for bellows and it only ran around $700-$800 but these were mercs ,so im not sure if there is a difference and make it cost that much more?

But the problem that hit me the most was that he said,when replacing the bellows they would remove a housing and have to drive out two pins and there is a good chance they could crack that housing while removing the pins,And if they do it will be a extra $800 to replace the housing. Does all this sound right?

I mean the boat was decent,havent bought it yet,I can still run away and only have to pay $270 for the work that was already done. But considering all the work and the price I would pay for the boat I would still be just under blue book and know everything is new back there.

I guess Id just like to know if cracking the housing is a common problem when doing this job,,and does the repair cost sound about right?

***It also includes anodes,drive fluid****

The only pin to remove is the rear one; the one that holds the end of the trim cylinder rams to the outdrive the other end does not need removing ). I've never heard of one of them being seized in place. Regarding the shift linkage, if nothing is wrong all that's needed is a stainless split pin; $0.50 in the US ?

Seal kit? If they are replacing all seals, plus anodes and gear oil the quote seems reasonable based on UK prices!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:06 pm 

It sounds like they are referring to the Allen bolts that hold the pivot housing on; while the bellows can be changed with out removing the pivot housing some will remove it to be able to really clean the mounting flange on the gimble housing. I was able to loosen mine a few years ago so on a fresh water boat I wouldn't think they'd be seized up but you never know.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:58 am 
Starfish

Well I thought on it, and im going to go on ahead and have it fixed up. Hopefully it all goes smooth and keep costs Down! Just about everything I need is included but I dont think changing the impeller is. I see it inside the boat on the lower end of the engine. I watched a video and it looked pretty strait forward and didnt require any special tools,Just a few bolts and a cap came off,they pried the old one out and squeezed the new one in. Is it that easy?

I doubt it would add that much to my actual bill :roll: but Im going to have some time with the boat before I dock it,Im thinking I wouldnt mind doing it myself to save a few bucks and get more familiar with the boat as I like to try to work on everything I can and have a pretty good arsenal of tools. I know the next go around of bellows I want to try to tackle myself.

Whats the better move,Just have him to it while he's there,or do it myself?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:53 am 

If you are mechanically inclined then changing the impeller is easy. As you said, its some wrenches and a screwdriver. Be sure to mark the hoses to get them re-installed onto the correct port on the pump. The most difficult part is reaching the pump. I removed the middle seat base and laid on the floor of the boat with my arms sticking down to the pump.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:20 am 

No better way to get to know your boat than by pulling stuff apart.

It's not a complicated task. Further to the notes above, make note of the direction the old impeller spins before you pry it out, and use lots of lube on the new impeller when installing it. If you use up what they provide in the kit, dish soap works well.

We all have cell phones in our pockets, snap a few pics as you pull it apart so you can satisfy yourself that it's goes back together properly.

Congrats on your purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:37 pm 

I agree with the two posts above this one. Do the impeller yourself. It's easy, and you can learn now so you will do it in the future.

I recommend you do the impeller yourself before the other service. That way if you have any issues or questions, you can still have them address it when you bring it in.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:39 pm 

I vote for doing it yourself too. I personally have performed all maintenance on my boat, engine, and drive myself (over the past 4-5 years)- including things like bellows, shift cables, etc. To give you a comparison, the only work I regularly will do on my cars are things like brakes, wipers, bulbs, and other minor items. My thought process is that I don't need to get work done to the boat in 1 evening or 1 weekend in order to get to work! When I perform a new task on the boat, I research, research some more, and then take it slow and steady to make sure I don't screw anything up. Sure there are frustrations and mistakes (like using a non-OEM bellows!) but at the end of the day I know things are right, and I've saved money on labor while maintaining or improving something I really enjoy using. As other mentioned, you'll also understand your boat and systems better, and know when things are not right.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1