www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:54 pm 
Starfish

Just changed the oil and I figure I would give the impeller a change,been at it for a hour and still not further :(
There is only a few inches of room and it doesnt seem to want to budge. Its not bolted in right? I blasted the hell out of it a few times with wd-40 and pb blaster,tried prying it with a screw driver and got some angled needle nose pliers and cant seem to get a good grip. I would appreciate any tips... Thanks!

On the cover is says "johnson pump ab f6b-9 10-24232-1" I assume this is some after market part,These come off any differently,,Still no luck

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:12 am 
email admin your custom rank

1st question is Engine type and location of water pump. I see from your previous posts that you have a VP 5.7gsi.

ProfitOfDoom wrote:
...changing the impeller is. I see it inside the boat on the lower end of the engine.

If you have the type of waterpump that is mounted on the front end of the engine crankshaft, then you do the following to change the impeller:
1. Take a picture before removing anything
2. Remove the two hoses going to the pump
3. Remove the bracket that keeps the pump from rotating (this requires a socket wrench with 6-8" of extension, and I think a 9/16" socket)
4. Remove the three small screws that attach the main waterpump housing to it's back plate (the back plate can stay on the engine).
5. Look at the impeller inside the housing , and note the direction of the vanes.
6. Pull or pry out the impeller from the housing. Insert the new impeller the same direction using the lube that they supply in the kit (or glycerin or dish soap).
7. Replace the housing O-ring with the one that came in the kit (make sure o-ring contact areas are clean)
Reverse directions 1-4 to re-assemble

Once you get the raw water pump apart, there should be NOTHING holding the impeller. If it stayed inside the housing, it should just be friction holding it there, and you can pull it out with needlenose pliers, or pry it out. I have never heard of one getting stuck to the shaft either.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:20 pm 
Starfish

I'm in here now, took off the hoses and just the single bolt that holds the bracket but I'm looking at the 3 bolts in the back, I pulled one of them out and it's about 2" long , I'm not sure but I think if I pull the other two the entire pulley would come off?
Your advice was spot on,took off the three bolts on the flywheel pulley and it came off as one piece. The impeller came out really easy too,I guess I just couldnt get a good grip on it,But anyway it needed replacing,so all my work so far wasnt for nothing!

Im going to my local boat shop tomorrow,to see if they have a replacement,but I seen some online that came with new bearings,How hard is it to replace the bearings in this housing? Need to be pressed in or anything? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The dealer will tell you that the bearing cannot be changed. VP only lists the impeller kit or the entire waterpump in their parts lists.

However... I have just the post for you.
Here is where I rebuilt my raw water pump with a new bearing and seal:
http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12060

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings