www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 285 sundowner rain water
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:39 am 
Guppy

I just put a new cock pit cover on my boat and I'm still getting water inside when it rains. Also when I lift the engine hatch water pours out from the back seat.
Not sure where its getting in. Maybe those large vents on the side or the small cutouts where the bimini top poles go through the cover.

Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks,

Derrick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:39 pm 
Starfish

Derrick,

I have never had any water come through the large side vents, however when it rains hard I do get some water that runs down the rear bimini pole
on the starboard side which collects where the cooler sits. It is such a small amount that the carpet does not get wet.
I have never had any leaking issues on the back seat.
At the stern does your cover extend down to the swim platform?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sea Gar wrote:
Derrick,

I have never had any water come through the large side vents, however when it rains hard I do get some water that runs down the rear bimini pole
on the starboard side which collects where the cooler sits. It is such a small amount that the carpet does not get wet.
I have never had any leaking issues on the back seat.
At the stern does your cover extend down to the swim platform?

My 1999 225 Sundowner was pretty water tight; never any rain water in the bilge or residual water in the anchor locker.

As for or the 2004 245 Sundowner, both the anchor locker and bilge were always wet. The former was due to Four Winns not locating the 2 drains at the lowest point in the anchor locker. Not really a difficult concept.

The engine compartment on the 1999 boat was always bone dry, as they should be in my opinion. The 2004 leaked in water like mad. It was a really wet place, as it is in my 2009 Vista. The cover over the side vents; seals fitted but they did not seal anything as they were in the wrong place so rain water flowed in easily.

I've given up tracing rainwater leaks into the 2009 278 D4 powered Vista, always water in the anchor locker (again, 2 drains above the lowest point as for the 245; DUH ?) and some in the bilge. It continues to throw up more serious issues to sort out like the latest, a stupid plastic elbow in the raw water inlet circuit that apparently fails on a regular basis so much so that in France they change it every 2 years apparently (as a non recommended service item !), It causes overheating above around 20 mph. It cannot be changed without taking the boat out of the water. Ye gods, why not make it out of aluminium so it's protected by the anodes rather than a cheap polymer that is susceptible to fatigue, or use a high performance polymer ( the same tooling could be used; cost effect would be minimal) ? This 278, whilst still a lovely boat when it's working, has destroyed the pleasure of boating for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:51 pm 
Guppy

The water by the cooler area I understand but the water in the back seat and engine compartment is puzzling.
I'm going to have my wife spray it down while I'm inside and investigate.

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 pm 
Starfish

I am curious as to where it is coming from, Please let me know when you find out.