www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 am 
email admin your custom rank

Are you sure the outdrive isn't in gear? ; it won't turn over if it is or if the microswitch on the shift lever is bad/ out of adjustment.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:58 am 
Guppy

I have made sure that the gear lever is in neutral and then wiggled it back and forth to make sure that it was locked in the neutral position. The other day I noticed that there was a loose screw that held the gear lever in place and went to tighten it. Could I possibly have messed up or diconnected anything on the backside of the gear lever, and if so is it possible to bypass it to help troubleshoot the issue? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:45 am 

I don't think tightening the screw you mentioned would have done anything to the neutral cut off switch. Of course it can be bypassed, but the danger is of course that once bypassed it becomes permanent despite the best initial intentions!

I would be more tempted to remove the shifter assembly and check for the presence of 12V before and after the switch when in neutral. If the switch proves to be OK, you can then check further "downstream" towards the starter.

Depending on access, it might be easier just to check you are getting +12V at the starter. Not the permanent +12V from the battery, but the +12V that energises the solenoid when the key is in the crank position.

Later engines had a starter relay in a relay/ fusebox on top the engine. I am afraid I don't know if your 1996 engine has one somewhere else ( in the box with breakers on the starboard riser perhaps?). It is probably worthwhile checking the big connector to that box ( the one with the hose clamp on it); they can come loose.

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:20 pm 
Guppy

Graham,
I am still somehow not getting power from the ignition switch back to the starter. Checked battery, starter, starter solenoid which is not on top of my starter and I checked the bendix solenoid which is on top of the starter, all checked out ok. All of the instruments on the dash still have power in the on position, you can even here the fuel pump engage however when you go to turn the key over to the start position you get nothing. The only thing in line with the ignition circuit is the dead man switch and the nuetral safety switch. I believe that it is the nuetral safety switch bc I when i looked up underneath the throttle control lever located on the side I noticed a wire that comes out of the throttle control assembly just hanging there not connected to anything. My question is do you have to completely disassemble the control assembly to get to it and is there a way to bypass it or check it without disassembling it. I have heard horror stories about messing with the assembly. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am 

I only have the installation manual for the later shifter, but the principle would be the same I expect. It indicates the neutral switch has 2 wires attached, both terminating is 1/4" spade connectors ( rather than the boat's harness attaching directly to the switch external connectors); one fed by the wire from the start position on the ignition switch and the other going to the starter circuitry. Easy to bypass this simple make/ break switch I would expect, especially as access to the switch itself doesn't seem necessary (at least on the later ones!).

I can't imagine the shifter would have to be completely dismantled to eventually change the switch, it would need to be removed from the side panel and possibly might have to have one or both of the shift/ throttle cables removed to get better access ( but who knows, it's on a boat after all so maybe logic doesn't play a part in the design !).

Graham