www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OMC 5.7L project begins
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:05 am 
Shark

Last night I began the teardown of the top half of my 5.7L. It's amazing what three rednecks, a bunch of tools, and two hours can accomplish. The entire top half of the motor is in pieces, LOTS of pieces! :shock:

Here is a before shot:

I began this project because we overheated on our last trip of the year last season and I found water in the engine oil. I assumed the problem was a blown headgasket. We found no visible evidence of that after the heads came off last night. We did find an excessive amount of permatex gasket material in places it should not have been. Someone had applied it along the sides of the intake and even around the ports to the point of restricting the size of two of the ports.

Here is a shot of the portside riser:
I was really impressed with how clean the risers and manifolds were. I was expecting the worst.

http://www.oscomotors.com for aftermarket exhaust parts.

more to come...

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

Last edited by Rhojo on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:21 am 
Shark

Well, as you can probably imagine, this project has become more and more involved since I began the teardown. I've fired the two other rednecks previously mentioned above. I don't want to trash my own brother-in-law so I won't bother you all with the careless errors made during the teardown :roll: . I took the heads and intake manifold to the machine shop to get them cleaned and tested. All three parts came back trued up and no cracks. A valve job on the heads was already done recently. Good news! All three parts have been painted and reinstalled. Reinstalling the pushrods and rocker arms turned out to be a little tricky as it was my first time doing it in a V8 and my first time with hydralic lifters but it's complete now and all 8 cyclinders have good compression. I've got some new pics but I haven't put them on Photobucket yet. I'll do that soon.

I did find out that my alternator was only putting out about 11 volts so that has been replaced with a new USCG approved Motorola alternator and it has been installed. I've also found out that my starter was bad. It's binding up and shorting out. It won't turn the motor fast enough to crank it up. I had 12-13 volts at the batteries and the same at the starter but it just wouldn't crank up. I even jumper cabeled in a thrid battery and it still wouldn't crank. I've ordered an OE replacement starter and I should have it in a couple of days. Upon closer inspection of the orig. starter I found a "Made in Argentina" label. Yuck. I've put new plugs and wires on it. The distributor has already been replaced. I ordered new riser and exhaust manifold gaskets from Osco and installed them on the freshly painted risers and manifolds. I also had the Rochester 4bbl carburetor rebuilt by a professional and I have reinstalled it. I replaced the oil filter and water/fuel filter with new ones. I had already ordered two sets of new belts, so I'm good to go there. I've replaced the water pump pulley, crankshaft plate and pulley, and the thermostat housing with used but "like new" parts from a 1989 5.7L.

I've accumulated several OE part numbers for my '88 5.7L OMC that I will be adding to this post at some point soon. Just in case there is anyone else out there searching for the parts I had to find.

A pic of the new crank pulley, water pump pulley, and the thermo housing.

A pic of the reassembled motor. The bad news is that it's siezed up in this shot! I wasn't able to get it started after reassembly. Something in the bottom end has gone away and we're going to have to pull the motor. Although dissapointed, I'm somewhat relieved. The boat has 730+ hours on the meter and rebuilding the top end only caused something else to fail. It's time for the motor and drive to come out and get throughly checked out and repaired by a pro. No more shade tree mechanics insight as to what could be wrong. So we are trying to get this done in time for next season so we can enjoy the boat!

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

Last edited by Rhojo on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:34 pm 
Seahorse

Just a question, did you find how the water is getting into the oil or are you still looking?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:52 am 
Shark

DocG wrote:
Just a question, did you find how the water is getting into the oil or are you still looking?

Nope, haven't found the source. I'm assuming it was water in the oil, although I did find the oil level to be a couple of quarts too full. When we overheated last season I shut the motor off when we made it to the dock and checked the oil. It looked like a chocolate milkshake and the oil level was way up the dipstick. I know that being too full with oil the motor will work the oil up into a frothy mess so maybe it was just frothy oil I saw on the dipstick? We'll see what it looks like after I get the starter in and crank her up later this week. I haven't started her up since the overheating.

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:25 am 
email admin your custom rank

Unless you had been running it all along, with two quarts extra oil, there is no reason it would suddenly be that full, except for water intrusion. And, the milkshake is certainly due to water.

It's fruustrating to take it apart and see no specific evidence of water leakage.

Good luck!

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

Last edited by M3eater on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:33 am 
Shark

Any chance you have a cracked block?

Previous Boat:
97 278 Vista - Buoy Howdy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:00 pm 
Shark

Buoy Howdy wrote:
Any chance you have a cracked block?

A possibility, yes. I haven't pulled the motor out of the boat yet. I was trying to avoid that this season, but since the season is pretty much over now I may be doing it soon. After I get the starter replaced later this week and if I can get it started and after I get the timing and dwell angle set I plan on running it to the lake for a test. Depending on the results of checking the oil while she is floating and after it has run the motor may be coming out. I had planned to pull the drive this off season. I have an OMC pro standing-by ready to service the drive and teach me a thing or three about the Cobra drive.

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 am 
Shark

Added a couple of pics and some news on the motor.

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:08 pm 

Good Work. I wish I was a bit more handy with things like that...looks like fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:57 pm 
Shark

looking at the pictures of the nearly completed motor maybe me think that your boat isnt actually a Four Winns Sundowner at all. There is way too much space arounbd the engine !!!

On mine, you need to be at least jockey sized to get to most of the important bits, and I wont tell you how many places wanted to remove the engine to change the water pump impeller due to a lack of space !!

looks really good though !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm 

Well the older FWs like this Sundowner and my '88 Horizon have one nice feature....they don't have all that molded in fiberglass around the engine compartment and that is part of the rear seat like the newer ones do...so you can move the rear seats foward...remove the wood bulkheads...and the whole engine is out in the open...as much as I'd like a newer one...the older ones are a lot better for doing any kind of work because you can get in and get to everything...even changing the starter is no big deal...1/2 hr job...

BTW my old '88 is the exact same color scheme with the red hull...grey stripe above the rubrail and white above that..too bad it's so oxidized.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:48 am 
Shark

The exterior of our boat is in bad shape. We'll be addressing that issue in the seasons to come, after I get the mechanicals worked out. As much as I'd like it to be done now I just can't devote the time or resources to it. I have to stay focused on the task at hand, motor and drive restoration.

I did rebuild the one of the bases on one of the seats this summer, I was really pleased with the results. It was the back to back seat/lounger. I used pressure treated plywood and cut the patterns from the deteriorated pieces I had. It was a simple and straight forward job that went well for us. I'll be doing the same thing on the other half of that seat sometime soon.

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am 

We had the opposite problem...the engine and drive were fine and all it needed was a shift linkage adjustment, some seals replaced and a carb rebuild...but the deck was rotted as were parts of the stringers so that was our big job a few years ago...the inside looks pretty much new with new seats...newly gelcoated deck and new bow cushions (well they were done back in 03/05 or so but since it's covered all the time they still look new)...but the outside gelcoat is badly oxidized...the red is the worst for sure...I got a really good buffer (dual mode Makita that does both rotary and random orbit) and am going to try to bring it back before getting it painted....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:44 am 
Shark

The latest news is not any good at all. We've found out that the transom is soft/rotting. It flexes when you lift up on the drive. We also have a bent prop shaft and the prop needs to be re-hubbed. This is quite devistating to us. This news has turned our FW into a project boat that won't hit the water again for a few years, at best. We don't have the funds to dedicate to it at the moment and I'm not sure when we will. The good news is that we plan on keeping the 235 and restoring it. The Admiral is horribly sentimental and the two times we took it out she has managed to become quite attached and refuses to let me sell the trailer and part the boat out. I like the 235 a lot and considering the brand/model I feel it's worthy of restoration. It really is a super boat.

I do have some other news that I'll go ahead and post in this thread.

We have managed to pick up ANOTHER boat.

This is a '79 Aquasport 22-2 Family Fisherman. Here are a couple more pics:

While it is 9 or so years older than our FW it is in really good shape, a solid hull, and it has been repowered with the twin Johnson 70's that are '88 models. It has good compression on all cyclinders and no water intrusion in the lower units. It runs well and only needs the usual routine maintenance on the motors and some new bunk carpet on the trailer and if I can find the right canvas shop locally we could stand to have the bimini replaced.

So, the good news is that we are on the water!

Jon

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:26 am 

Love that old Aquasport! most of the ones I have seen here (that style boat is very popular here in salt water) have had a single engine...that's the first one I've seen with twins...nice set up...and very different from the Sundowner...so when you restore the Sundowner...you can have nice lower maintenance boat to cruise around in....

2008 Walker Bay 8