www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thank you, TowBoatU.S.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:46 pm 
Dolphin

It's been a horrible summer here on Long Island. My wife, daughter and I were able to go out only three times, but Saturday was a beautiful day so it looked like we'd make at least a fourth trip this season. But, since my brother was visiting from Thailand and my cousin was visiting from Ohio, my wife thought they might like to go boating instead of her and my daughter (my daughter had schoolwork to do, anyway).

It started off well. The weather was perfect. I drove about a mile and a half from the marina in the Great South Bay when suddenly I heard an alarm go off. Since this is my first season with this boat, I had no idea what was happening (at first I thought it was my depth alarm since the Great South Bay is so shallow and it was low tide). I quickly checked the gauges and saw that I was overheating. I immediately turned about and headed for shallow water (about four feet), and my brother dropped anchor. We waited about 30 minutes for the engine to cool down, hoping I could make I could restart the engine and make it back to the marina. We actually had quite a nice time talking -- we hadn't seen one another in quite some time.

My brother brought the anchor up and I started the engine. I started heading toward the marina when, not two minutes later, the alarm went off again. This time I was in the middle of the channel and I had to move off to shallow water and anchor. Just prior to shutting down the engine, we smelled something from the engine compartment. I hope I didn't damage anything.

Being a member of Boat U.S. and having their unlimited tow package, I phoned for assistance and gave my coordinates. Within 30 minutes we were being towed back to the shop. What a relief. Now I await the mechanic's diagnosis -- I hope it's just a clog or an impeller.

I will never again think twice about whether or not to get a towing contract. Thank you, TowBoatU.S.

Kevin

My Boat: http://www.edcr.us/boat/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

How fast/slow were you going when the alarm went off?

I have a tow package through BoatsUS also, but have not used it yet (knock on wood).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:06 am 
Dolphin

Both times when the alarm went off I was going about 20 mph.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:52 am 

I also have the towing plan from Boat US (added trailer insurance too) and I agree it's well worth it...towing back to a dock or launch area from a local harbor can cost 300-400...I have not yet have to use it in the 6 seasons we used this old boat but I would not be without it....
Common causes of overheat are impeller (raw water pump)...which when it fails or comes apart can clog the thermostat housing....
Stuck thermostat
Clogged exhaust risers
Broken raw water pump belt and/or broken water circulating pump belt

Most common are impeller and exhaust risers (salt water area)

When was the impeller last changed...and if its a 2003...used in salt...it may be due for a set of risers...
I usually change the impeller every other season..if you are boating on the South Shore in shallow water you may be sucking up a lot of sand which wears impellers faster than if you are in deep water....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:29 am 
Dolphin

Thanks for the info, LouC. This is my first season with the boat so I only know a general history.

For the first two years the boat was used on Lake George, and for the next four years it was always trailered to the Long Island Sound. He had the engine tuned in June of 2008. I had the boat professionally serviced for both the winter and summer. This season I've only had the boat out three times (it was perfect), and I've only touched bottom once, coming out of Zachs Bay. That's the extent of my knowledge of this boat.

Since the previous owner seemed to be meticulous about the boat, I'm hoping that it's something minor.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:43 pm 

Mine was originally from the midwest and was a freshwater boat about the first 10 years...the past 11 years its been in the salt...I have changed the manifolds once and the thermo housing...I am going to take the manifolds off after their 5th season to check them...and I usually replace the impeller and thermostat every other season..
If yours has been used in salt for only 4 seasons then the risers may still be good...I'd check the impeller first...then the thermstat...and once it's running check the temps of the risers...they should not get so hot that you can't put your hands on them after the engine has run for a while...if they are that is a good sign of clogging and they should be replaced.

Not related to overheating but related to salt water use..even if the boat is trailered...the drive should be pulled off each season to check the bellows for water...in this case salt water will ruin the gimble bearing and ujoints if it's in there any length of time and so you want to do this at the end of the season when the boat is winterized. If there is no problem great but if so it can be fixed over the winter so you don't lose time in the spring...I do all this my self and if I notice a problem I take it to my mechanic if it's beyond my ability level....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks for the information, LouC. Last year I did not have the outdrive removed since the boat was always trailered. I hope that wasn't a mistake. You can be certain I'll have it removed this fall.

Where do you have your slip? I'm at the Anchorage Yacht Club -- where else would you keep a 23 foot yacht?

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:37 am 
Dolphin

I just heard from the shop. Fortunately, my engine is fine -- it was the $40 impeller. Unfortunately, the three hours of labor sets me back an additional $375. (They also flushed the engine, tested it, etc.)

The mechanic also noticed that one of my outdrive trim pistons has a small leak (I did notice some oil on the surface of the water at my slip). I'm now waiting for them to get me a price from Volvo for a replacement.

A boat really is a hole in the water you pour money into!