www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I got a great deal on this 1991 Sundowner 255. It has the 5.7LE OMC Cobra (This is not my first omc cobra powertrain for the record!). It has 282 hours on it and it very very clean and in the nicest condition of any sundowner of that era Ive ever seen. She does need new side windows, but the interior is just spotless otherwise!! The outdrive was rebuilt last year after water intrusion. Has the new revised shift cables too (bonus right). Will take some getting used to not having a 'full' head but already am loving all of the room aft and the bigger integrated swim platform.

Im coming from a 99 Vista 258, and I really appreciate the way the boat handled today in chop and 2' choppy waves on Lake St. Clair. I smooshed the nose down alittle with the trim, and trim tabs and she handled it great. Was able to cruise ~25 mph. Pops right up on plane. Very smooth and quiet.

Heres some pics for your viewing pleasure :D

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 pm 

A few more....

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 am 
Starfish

Beautiful boat. Congrats!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 pm 
268 Vista

Nice boat. Hope things stay good for you this time around with boat ownership. Enjoy the season !

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:17 pm 
Tadpole

Congrat's and good luck! Our 1990 255 came from Bay City and is now docked at Vermilion, Oh.
Our's also was a low hour boat (190) and it seems there are not many of this model around.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 pm 

R. Chappel wrote:
Congrat's and good luck! Our 1990 255 came from Bay City and is now docked at Vermilion, Oh.
Our's also was a low hour boat (190) and it seems there are not many of this model around.

Any pics? :mrgreen:

A small update to the thread:

Couldnt get the freshwater system to work... pump would run, make gurgling noise, but no water at faucet (tank full of water). Had to take the icebox (read: poor mans fridge) out, and the water pump was behind that. Turns out the 'pressure switch' on the top of the Flo-Jet broke off and was just laying there, I suspect either age or ice damage. Bought a replacement switch off ebay and its working great now! 8)

Just had my 2 isinglass side windows replaced today by a local canvas guy. They look great and I cant wait to overnight and use them!!

Have a Garmin 172c and a Sony stereo on its way right now... did you see my stereo in those pictures?!!? Im sure I can get money for it, its certainly an antique!! LOL. The new Sony stereo is one of the stereos with the "data bus" so I can get one of those snazzy wired remotes at the helm so Im not always a.) losing the wireless remove, b.) never able to see the stereo while underway.

Also have done many other small tasks... cleaned the bilge, had the starter & alternator rebuilt (starter was cranking slow despite healthy volts at the batteries and the alternator was fluctutating too much for my tastes).

Next task: Fill up the 100g gas tank :evil: :evil:

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:34 am 
Tadpole

Shark,
Posting pics is a pain, beyond that it appears there was quite a change from 90 to 91. The 90 has two hatches on the front deck. Our mooring cover goes over the windshield, not part of the convertable top, which is a bit of a pain. The galley is changed, fridge forward.
A few of the R/R's: built a new motor box , rotten at the bottom edge and the shelf had been replaced with pine. Encapsulated it with fiberglass. It'll probably outlast the boat. Replaced the forward bilge pump and switch. Switch broke, ran a battery down to dead. I think the plastic was brittle from age. Replaced antenna and radio, much better distance now. Replaced fish finder, I think the good one was sold before we got the boat. Tilt gauge is not working (sending unit needs replaced). Replaced various bulbs. We were told the old folks that owned the boat used it for a cottage. Replaced the main breaker with a 15 amp, was 5. Now we can use a toaster while making coffee. Upgraded the coil and distributor to electronic ignition. Running a SS prop, 15 X 15. I'm not sure I'm happy with it, doesn't achieve WOT rpm's but I haven't checked the tach for accuracy. Added dual ban battery charger. Need to replace a few snaps on the mooring cover. The canvas is all original and the camper top is like new except for some rubbing on the vinyl windows.

Rich
-C-IMP