www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:49 am 
Tadpole

Just bought a 1987 Sundowner with V-8. I've been searching and searching on info of what the normal running depth is on that boat. I have maps of lakes near me and their depths, acres and average depth. What size lake and average depth should I be going for?

tnx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:27 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well most of these boats draw about 3 feet with the drive all the way down...probably about 2-1/2 with it as far up as you should trim when running...you can't trim as far up with an I/O as you can with an outboard because it will put the u-joints at an extreme angle...
I don't feel comfortable running in less than 5-6 feet of water as a regular thing...at that depth you have a little margin for error...most of the channels where I boat are at least 8 feet deep at low tide (coastal region with 7 foot depth changes from high to low tides)...

You want a good depthfinder (most people here use a fishfinder with the transducer on the transom) so you can monitor the depth...

Talk to locals who use the lakes you want to try...they will know were you cannot go...get charts and go over them if they are available..

And perhaps most important get insurance to cover both liability and damage to the boat...bending a prop for most new boaters is not if but when...carry a spare prop and learn how to change it...take a boater safety course...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:32 pm 
All Night Long

+1 to all of Lou's points.

You aren't driving a flat bottom, outboard, fishing boat.

You need a good 4-5 feet of depth to keep things safe - and that doesn't count for any underwater obstructions - which there ALWAYS are.

Give yourself a good size body of water to cruise around in. Going around in circles all day is pretty crappy if you ask me. Gets old quick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:00 pm 
Tadpole

tnx for the info all

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:31 pm 
wkearney99

If you're new to boating and you've asked this question, then seriously consider taking a boat safety course. They're well worth the time. You learn a lot of little things, any one of which might save you or your passengers from danger. There's not a ton of things to learn about boating, but a few critical things can make a difference between fun and funerals.

And bear in mind that shallow water may be more so due to debris. Like a stray tree limb, or even an old rotted out stump. Storms are notorious for washing this stuff downstream. Also be mindful that moving water can cause shoaling. What might have been three feet the last time a chart was updated might now be only 1 foot. Check your local charts (you DO have marine navigation charts for your waters, right?) and look for where they mention shoaling.