www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard start when hot
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:59 pm 
Tadpole

Hi, I just got a 1995 sundowner 225 with a 5.8l omc ford engine in it. Took it out for the first time and it ran great. Stopped to get lunch, when we went to leave the engine cranked for a long time before it started. It was turning over fast but it was not firing. Seemed like it was not getting gas. When it started it ran fine. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jim

Post subject: Re: Hard start when hot
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:06 am 
email admin your custom rank

From reading other forums, other boaters have had the same problem. It was due to a very warm day, so the fuel & engine temp was high and caused a vapor lock in the fuel line.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:10 am 
Villiage Idiot

Vapor lock isn't uncommmon for boaters this time of year. I am told the Summer blend and Winter blend of fuels have different temperatures in which they turn to vapor. Likely there is still "winter" fuel in the fuel line, turning to vapor in the fuel rails on top of the warm engine. One thing you can try.... turn the key to run the elec fuel pump 2-3 times before engaging the starter. If it doesn't resolve itself after another tank of gas, then we will need to address that.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:52 am 
Tadpole

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try. We were out yesterday and it was doing it. I messed with it to see what was going on. I tried to start the engine about 5 min. after we stopped and it started right up. Then after sitting for a while I tried it again. The problem was there. I flipped the cover up and tried it again. I cycled the key on and off a couple of times. The fuel pump sounded like it was out of fuel, so the vapor lock may be it. It made a little of a difference in starting. The next time I will cycle the pump a bit more.

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:50 am 
Villiage Idiot

If it keeps going, even with fresh gas, I would look into replacing the fuel filter if not regularly done (should be approx annually), then check the fuel pump/pressure. A FI motor should be in the neighborhood of 40psi.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:44 pm 
Tadpole

I checked the fuel pressure and it is at about 34-36 psi at idle. When the problem accures, cranking good but no fire. The fuel pressure is reading 40psi. When this happens the engine will fire up but it takes longer than normal. I have a manual on the engine and I found that there is two sensors that I think would be tied into the fuel system. One is the coolant temp sendor, the other is the intake air temp. According to the manual the ohms on both of the sensors is not correct. I am not sure if they would have a direct effect on the engine not starting. What are some of your thoughts?