www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:07 am 
ShanMan

I know I need to do this but the only mention in the owner's manual is "Clean the sea water strainer often." That's great, but exactly how is that done?

I keep looking at the photos I took of my engine compartment but until I'm in it again I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Does it unscrew? Do I need tools? What does it look like? Is it like changing a cartridge filter for a home water filtration system or something?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If its like mine, it looks like a glass jar just past the water intake shut off valve. It just unscrews to get it off.

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:13 am 
email admin your custom rank

i just did this. the strainers on my boat have wing nuts on top. the top of the strainer can be loosened and then the cover can be moved to the side. it doesn't have to be completely taken off. It lifts and then drops still connected. the strainers can be lifted out for cleaning. when you put the strainers back turn them until they drop into their seated position. I didn't shut the valve on the the thru hulls because 1) they're inaccessible and 2) even using the boat hook the starboard valve wouldn't budge. only a small amount of water spilled during the cleanup. I also had to clean the thru hulls - they were clogged as well. that was easy - jump in the water, find the thru hulls on the bottom and remove the clump of seaweed. unfortunately the creek where we dock is very weedy so it looks like this will be a regular maintenance task. i asked the dealer if there is a back flush apparatus for the thru hulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 am 
ShanMan

I finally cleaned my strainers and it was a breeze. I did not check the through hulls, however.

The AC was a small screw on unit much like a house water filter, but much smaller. That strainer was actually attached to the plastic housing. I ran it under a strong stream of fresh water.

The genst strainer was like a big wingnut. I just untwisted it and pulled out the basket. It was a like mini skimmer basket from a pool.

Both had a considerable amount of gunk in them, so I'm glad I did it. The TVA jus sprayed herbacide in our lake and there has been a lot of floating weeds.

I closed the valves in both cases, I was able to do all of this on my stomach hovering over the engine bay. I have long arms so it wasn't bad for me. Easy job! :D

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:20 pm 
Shark

SMan,
Had similar experience last week. Just got my 2006 318 Vista on 3 JUL, while working to familiarize myself with various ships systems. Found a small (10 drips per minute) leak coming from the GENSET strainer. Took the whole thing apart, cleaned the strainers, and found that the plexiglass cups (on both Genset and AC) were stressed cracked. Not sure if previous owner's dealer did not winterize properly, but after taking it apart and putting it back together (carefully) in an effort not to make the cracks worse, found that the cracks expanded. Attempted an epoxi sealant until I could get two new strainer systems ordered, but that did not work. Now I have a 30-40 drop per minute leak from the strainer. Funny thing about this is when I went to the FW service dealer, and ordered the strainers, FW does not have what they installed in my boat. So instead of having to replace just the plexi-glass cup, not I have to replace the whole system!
Pretty frustrating.

Previously
'06 318 Vista
'97 258 Vista
'98 195 Sundowner
'87 180 Horizon