www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:42 pm 
Guppy

I'm another potential 298 Vista owner and would like some help on my decision. I currently own a 2005 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck, but have been looking to move up to a cruiser for about 6-8 months now. Until recently, I have only looked at the 2001-2003 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer or 2000-2001 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer. But last week, the local Sea Ray dealer called and said they had a 2004 298 Vista in. I checked it out and liked it, but they were asking 95k. 75k or under is really my desired price range. Another dealer where I boat has a 2003 298 Vista asking 88,900k. I haven't looked at these boats long enough to know where they are pricing out. I boat at Lake of the Ozarks. What would be a fair offer in my area on a boat like this? Here is a link to the boat with the details http://www.kellysport.com/boat_detail.asp?boat_id=531 Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:12 am 
Shark

There really isn't much of a difference between 2003s and 2004s. I don't have any 2004s within my 200 mile range but the 2003s on my list run from $79,900 to $93,500. The 93k boat is definitely overpriced. It looks like the 2003 in your link has a genset. This is an 8k option brand new, so the 88k price is right in line.

The engine hours are relatively low at 190, however it looks like it has an SX drives. I'd really only look at this boat with the Duoprop. I'd verify that is has an SX drive.

From a performance standpoint the SX at 3500RPM will cruise at 27MPH and burn 23GPH. The DP at 3500RPM will cruise at 30MPH and burn 23GPH.
You'll also get up on plane quicker, hole plane at a slower speed and have better slow speed handling.

From my research it's very odd to see a 298 w/o duoprops.

I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in, but I'd say away from that boat with the current drives. If you still want to pursue I feel 8-10% off asking is a good starting point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:21 pm 
Guppy

ChicagoTC wrote:
There really isn't much of a difference between 2003s and 2004s. I don't have any 2004s within my 200 mile range but the 2003s on my list run from $79,900 to $93,500. The 93k boat is definitely overpriced. It looks like the 2003 in your link has a genset. This is an 8k option brand new, so the 88k price is right in line.

The engine hours are relatively low at 190, however it looks like it has an SX drives. I'd really only look at this boat with the Duoprop. I'd verify that is has an SX drive.

From a performance standpoint the SX at 3500RPM will cruise at 27MPH and burn 23GPH. The DP at 3500RPM will cruise at 30MPH and burn 23GPH.
You'll also get up on plane quicker, hole plane at a slower speed and have better slow speed handling.

From my research it's very odd to see a 298 w/o duoprops.

I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in, but I'd say away from that boat with the current drives. If you still want to pursue I feel 8-10% off asking is a good starting point.

What is the difference between the SX drive and the duoprop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:22 pm 
Shark

SX has a single prop DP/duoprop has 2 counter-rotating props.

Good info on benefits of DP drives

Volvo DP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:04 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

The Duoprop is based off of the SX drive but it's a dual prop version, where as the SX is just a single prop. You don't want any cruiser without Duoprop unless it's got twin screws :)

Post subject: DP vs SX on a 298
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:32 pm 
Starfish

I spoke to a Volvo rep about this very question except it was with respect to a 288. My 288 has SX drive. He said it is not really much of an appreciable difference on this size of boat. Don't forget if you hit something with one of those DP's you are in for a hefty repair (heftier than the normal hefty repair for any of these situations). I noticed more SX offerings lately than the duo-prop in the 26-28 foot range.
I guess if I agree if I had a single engine--go for duo-prop, but a 298 with SX drives may be a "find".
Good luck.
Mike

Post subject: Re: DP vs SX on a 298
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:32 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

mike288 wrote:
I spoke to a Volvo rep about this very question except it was with respect to a 288. My 288 has SX drive. He said it is not really much of an appreciable difference on this size of boat. Don't forget if you hit something with one of those DP's you are in for a hefty repair (heftier than the normal hefty repair for any of these situations). I noticed more SX offerings lately than the duo-prop in the 26-28 foot range.
I guess if I agree if I had a single engine--go for duo-prop, but a 298 with SX drives may be a "find".
Good luck.
Mike

Mike,

Your Volvo rep is on crack! These are the size boats that benefit most from a dual prop setup, be it a Bravo III or DuoProp. Slow Speed Wander is gone with the dual props, the ability to maintain steerage at idle speeds makes docking a great deal easier, and these boats are much faster to plane with dual props since you have lots more thrust than a single prop can offer.

I had a single prop (BravoI) on my 23' cuddy cabin and since the boat did not weigh anywhere near what these boats do, it was fine, plus being mated to a 496 Magnum didn't hurt either. But I couldn't imagine driving my boat with a single prop and wouldn't buy one.

*Edit*

If you are speaking of TWIN single props then I can agree with what the rep said... But on a single I/O it's gotta be a DuoProp on these size boats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:20 am 
Mental Floss

I disagree. YES twins with single props work and work well, but the Duoprops are even better. Take my 288 Vista and my friends 2660 Real Commodore, sizewise comparable with the exception of beam. I have twin Duo, he has twin SX. The distance between the outdrives is fairly close even with the narrower bean he has. Around the dock at idle speed there is a big difference in the respond spinning the boat, crabbing, etc. Why...at slow speed I have much more prop grabbing water than he does. It's very evident when there is a good wind involved. Delicate manuvers requiring little adjustments...I kick his .....

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:13 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

JV,

I agree... Single Prop "Twins" would be "bearable" but still not ideal.. You simply can not beat the doubled thrust of a duoprop drive and where you need it most is those delicate just off idle speed manuevers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:51 am 
Starfish

Uncle . . . . Now I have something to wish for on my next boat--don't need two extra feet, but now you have me wishing for two extra props.
By time I trade up I should be pretty accomplished docking so the extra props will be a nice bonus. Oh well.