www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:03 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hi All,

Although I have been absorbing a ton of information from this site this is my first post so a warm hello to all.

I handed in my deposit today and signed an agreement for an '03 Vista 248. I plan to have it in a couple of weeks and every min is like a lifetime. I can't wait!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:04 pm 

What things should I be looking for during the Sea Trial and Survey on this boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Walter,

Welcome aboard! I am glad to see you made it here and I am anxiously waiting to hear the results of your sea trial and survey.

I can't think of any "specific" problem areas with the 248 all I can say is that I would just keep my eye on the basic areas that could be issues with any boat. The surveyor will or should do a VERY thorough mechanical checklist of the entire boat, a moisture test of the entire hull especially the stringers and transom area. Any problems that are uncovered will then become bargaining chips for you to use to have the owners either fix issues or lower price accordingly.

No boat is perfect and I'm sure anyone with as scrutinizing an eye as an accredited surveyor will likely find issues, but on an 03 I am sure they will be small issues.

And just to keep your mouth watering....

One thing is for sure.... You are going to love it! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:59 pm 
AGE < LOA

Congrats! If she was salt water use, check out my thread further on down where the circ pump was leaking. You should see evidence of it if you look underneath of it. also pull all the plugs and have a look at them if you guys don't do a compression / leakdown test. I did my own inspection and ended up getting a smokin deal since I did a lot of mods and replaced parts myself. And make sure to post some pics!

Nice pic Brett!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:43 am 

Check the headliner as you first enter the cabin. They like to fall down. Also check the tank level monitors if it has them. They usually do not work. Other than those two thing, ours has been great for two seasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:11 am 

Thanks guys this is all great info and I will now be able to ask some intelligent questions on the survey.....if you think of anything else keep them coming.

Brett, I finally did get in. Thanks for all of your help to get me on here. I have set your pic as my desktop background so yes the mouth is watering..

Bren, it was in saltwater for the last year, prior to that it was dry docked. I actually am going to trailer this boat since I live 5 minutes away from the ramp in my area in Miami, FL. I'll take a look at your post and look for those leaks.

248Vista, by the headliner you are referring to the "cieling of the boat"?

Thanks again all!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:31 pm 
Shark

congratulations!!!!
surely you will love your boat, in Italy we say: every boat is a piece of heart.

Before making the trial you and your dealer use the toilet and check if the gauge for measuring water level works or not!! :lol:

have a nice boating on your Vista!

Oscar

previous boats:
1998 FW 258 Vista
2003 Saver 690 Cabin Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:01 pm 
ShanMan

Congrats!

I won't give my experience because I seem to plagued with odd problems, so I'll leave the others to expound!

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:30 pm 

Thats the one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:12 pm 

Just an update guys. The boat will be done with its 200 hour maintenance tomorrow and we will be doing the sea trial and survey Saturday.

If all goes well I will finally be part of the club :mrgreen:

Now I need to figure out a way to sleep until then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:36 am 
Mental Floss

Good luck and have a ball!

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:29 am 
Andiamo

Good Luck Cap! Looking forward to Saturday's update!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:08 pm 

Ok so the sea trial happened and everything for the most part went as anticipated.

So here were the findings....

There were 2 known issues which were the trim gauge and the power steering pump. Both of these items had been ordered for replacement but had not arrived in time for the survey.

In addition to that the other findings the surveyor had were that positive battery terminals were exposed (apparently you can get a ticket for this), the VHF radio had no sound and bottom paint was in need of replacement and finally a light bulb needed replacement..

Bren, the circ pump was found to be in working order with no leaks so this was good news.

Also just like 248Vista said the headliner was sagging a bit.

The estimated value of the boat came in at 7k more than I bought for (whatever that is worth).

So overall I think this went very well. However the bad news is that the trim gauge and PS pump won't be in the boat until Thursday. However it will be ready for my 4 day weekend down in the keys which starts on Friday. Pics to come soon! Thanks to all who have helped me along this process.

Walter :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:56 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

captwalt wrote:
Ok so the sea trial happened and everything for the most part went as anticipated.

So here were the findings....

There were 2 known issues which were the trim gauge and the power steering pump. Both of these items had been ordered for replacement but had not arrived in time for the survey.

In addition to that the other findings the surveyor had were that positive battery terminals were exposed (apparently you can get a ticket for this), the VHF radio had no sound and bottom paint was in need of replacement and finally a light bulb needed replacement..

Bren, the circ pump was found to be in working order with no leaks so this was good news.

Also just like 248Vista said the headliner was sagging a bit.

The estimated value of the boat came in at 7k more than I bought for (whatever that is worth).

So overall I think this went very well. However the bad news is that the trim gauge and PS pump won't be in the boat until Thursday. However it will be ready for my 4 day weekend down in the keys which starts on Friday. Pics to come soon! Thanks to all who have helped me along this process.

Walter :D

Congrats Walter!!!!!!

I can only imagine how stoked you are... Good luck sleeping for the next four weeks.. :)

Can't wait to see the pix!