www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garmin 4208 Install
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:43 pm 
Shark

So even before I bought the new Four Winns 298, I had purchased a new electronics package. The stock Raymarine GPS didn't include a chartplotter and I really like the new Garmin units. Also the XM weather and the ability to receive XM radio and output it right to my stereo were big pluses for me. Here is what I'm currently installing.

Garmin 4208 8.4" Multifunction display
Garmin 4208

Garmin GPS 17VHS receiver
Garmin GPS antenna

Garmin GDL 30A Weather/Radio receiver
Garmin GDL30A

This turned into quite the project. We put in about 12hrs.Here is a picture of the helm before the upgrade. You can see the old Raymarine GPS unit on the top right.

This part of the project involved removing the old flushmount unit and creating a mounting surface over the hole. I want to bracket mount the new unit so I can easily remove it from the boat when I leave and also move it to a new boat if that happens. These units are expensive and I don't see the value carrying into the sale price.

So onto the pictures of the install. Here is a picture of the helm after removal of the old Raymarine unit.

Access holes in the radar arch. Thank god for these and fishtape or the new antennas wires would never have made it down to the helm.

Another access hole, the starboard side front speaker

Here are a few pictures of the new mounting board for the display bracket. It's black starboard that still needs some sanding before being installed.

Bracket attached and one of the 3 grommets that the wires will run through.

Picture of the arch. From port to starboard; Garmin GPS antenna, nav light, TV antenna, Xm antenna(not pictured), and VHF antenna

Lastly for now are pictures are the midcabin closet. This turned out to be the perfect place for the XM radio unit. The antenna, power, and network cable all run from the display to this device. Then a last lead runs to my stereo to send XM radio.

New access hole and fishtape.

Unit mounted

This has been a huge project so far. There is very limited access to most wires. It's not like my old Crowline where all panels were easily removed. We spent the first 3 hrs just trying to figure out where and how to run all the wires. The new GPS on the far port arch position all the way through the arch and along the starboard side was so much fun we did it twice. We forgot to run the cable through the mount :)

Pictures of the starboard mounting plate, bracket, and cables.

Pictures of the unit in place, it might be a bit large for the space but I like it. I did loose one of the cupholders on the helm but there are 2 up there.

Closeup of split screen. Mariners eye view on the left, new G2 vision chart on the right. It's really slick the way the maps overlay satellite images on the map.

Finally pictures of the arch with all the current antennas. Still space for a radar if I decide to go down that road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:39 am 
AGE < LOA

Nice install! I've had some fun days with the fishtape too. That chartplotter is bada$$!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:23 am 
Andiamo

Looks like a Great Install! Thanks for the details and pic's! This will definitely come in handy for future reference. I like the starboard mounting board idea! Great Job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:27 am 
Dolphin

Which harbor are you in? THat sort of looks like it could be montrose or belmont...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:30 am 
Shark

Thanks for the compliments. Over the winter I'll add the sounder and transducer so I can get depth, water temp, and sonar info on the display.

Ben, you're correct I'm in Belmont Harbor.

Last edited by ChicagoTC on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:50 am 
Dolphin

I have a Garmin network as well:

3010C plotter
GSD22 sounder
GDL30A XM Weather
GMR18 18" 4kw Radar
KVH AC1000 heading sensor (NMEA connected)

Love the plotter. The digital sounder is nicer than the old analog GSD20, but I keep having transducer problems (Garmin OEM'd from Airmar). Mine is thru-hull and I've had to haul the boat twice to replace it. Now my temp sensor (in the transducer) has gone bad - here we go again....

The weather is totally awesome. Make sure you spring for the $50/mo Master Mariner package - it shows lightning strikes and storm cell tracks. Has saved MANY $$$ in gasoline on days when pop-up storms are drifting by. Plus XM weather overlays your charts - unlike Sirius which doesn't offer that feature.

Just put the radar and heading sensor in last month. Very easy installation really. The hardest part was physically mounting the units and running the wires to the helm. Once I connected the 12V and the network cable, it started working automatically - no configuration whatsoever. I was totally impressed.

One piece of advice. Make sure you get the network updater kit and stay on top of the software updates. Very easy to do. They come out every other month or so and add functionality and features. Not to mention bug fixes, etc...