www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:58 pm 
wkearney99

I'm thinking something like these would be interesting ways to mount the valves:

But that one in particular is only a single valve, not a Tee. But it's more the mounting that I'm considering. Something with a recessed pocket. That way it wouldn't be in the way or get caught on something during regular use of the boat.

I could also use a hatch like this:

Then just add my own valves. I could also probably add an inlet for the antifreeze hose. Or use the shower handle pull-out cavity to store the tubing. I'll have to look at the area behind/under the berth to see just how much room there is to spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:12 pm 
Dolphin

My humble opinion is:

1. Haul and winterize completely.

2. Move the boat south of Kentucky and winterize the fresh water.

3. You're on your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:15 am 
wkearney99

Heh, looks like it'll be number 3.

And guess what? Found YET ANOTHER LEAK! It seems like I'm slowly replacing the entire eff'ing water system components...

But since it's up in the fresh water tank I'll have an excuse to get in there and setup the winterizing/refill valves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:18 am 
Dolphin

Bill,

Are you going to be leaving your boat in the water for the winter as well? That's my plan as it stands right now. I have gotten lots of prudent advice both ways about it being a good or bad idea. Time will tell.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:42 am 
wkearney99

We had planned on leaving it in the water. That is, until I saw the peeling bottom paint. So it'll have to come out at th end of the season to deal with that. And I'm guessing there wouldn't be much reason to put it back into the water. But I'll have to see. We've got until late October that we're likely to be using the boat. So we'll probably pull it and have at least some part of the repainting done. I believe there are some limits on how ablative paint deals with being out the water for some duration. If the paint isn't peeling again by the fall I suppose there's always the chance we could just leave it in until next Spring. Don't really know which way we'll go yet.

Post subject: Re: What a crappy mess
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:28 am 
Tadpole

wkearney99 wrote:
Here's what happens when the dealer does a crappy job of both installing a waste tank sensor and not winterizing properly:

http://www.ideaspace.net/boat/2007/wastetank

Bill,

That dealer wasn't Riverside, was it? I had been planning to take a 3 hour drive to see their Vista 378, but am having second thoughts as I have read reports of a serious lack of customer service and following through on their promises. :?:

Sam...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:48 am 
Forty six and Two

FWIW we always pumped our holding tank dry in our Sailboat then added a half gallon of the envo friendly pink rv antifreeze. Come spring it was later shot out thru the emacerator (sp) pump.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:05 pm 
wkearney99

Sure, if I were winterizing it myself I'd certainly pump it out and run anti-freeze into the system. But I took it to the dealer and specifically informed them it would need pumping out. You'd think since the work order NOTED this they'd have gotten it done. But no.... instead I get left to clean up a nearly never-ending set of hassles.

Thus this season I'll be winterizing it myself. Do yourselves a favor and start keeping an eye out for sales on winterizing gear. I've managed to find most of what I'm going to need now, at pretty decent discounts. A local RV place (Recreation World) is getting out of their retail business. I just picked up a couple of winterizing bits at 60% off. Now I'm just watching for the pink stuff to go on sale somewhere local.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:02 pm 
Dolphin

wkearney99 wrote:
Now I'm just watching for the pink stuff to go on sale somewhere local.

Wal-Mart. Always on sale...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:49 pm 
wkearney99

First_Mate wrote:

Ah, no. I prefer not to give them any business. I'm really not interested in helping prop up a company that's done so much to destroy small american manufacturing. All under the guise of bringing the little guy lower prices, meanwhile they export his job overseas. Not to mention, how the hell would I be able to trust that whatever they're selling is actually safe to use? Seems like everything they sell is from China and we've all seen what a train wreck that's been for product safety. In fact, Wal-Mart spent CONSIDERABLE sums off money to lobby AGAINST country of origin labels on products.

So no, Wal-Mart is not a viable option. I have too much of conscience to give them any money at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:00 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

wkearney99 wrote:
First_Mate wrote:

Ah, no. I prefer not to give them any business. I'm really not interested in helping prop up a company that's done so much to destroy small american manufacturing. All under the guise of bringing the little guy lower prices, meanwhile they export his job overseas. Not to mention, how the hell would I be able to trust that whatever they're selling is actually safe to use? Seems like everything they sell is from China and we've all seen what a train wreck that's been for product safety. In fact, Wal-Mart spent CONSIDERABLE sums off money to lobby AGAINST country of origin labels on products.

So no, Wal-Mart is not a viable option. I have too much of conscience to give them any money at all.

Wow Bill,

The guy with the BIG EXPENSIVE boat defending the little guys! That's what I love to hear! :)

Your dealership created your nightmares. Wouldn't it be worth letting FW know about this, and also getting your money back from the dealership since they really didn't provide you any service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:03 pm 
wkearney99

Hey, we're all little fish in one way or another.

When the little guy doesn't have a job the ripple effects of that cause enough harm for everyone to notice. Tragically the sheeple have being paying no attention to being sold down the river all in the name of "low prices". Doesn't do much good to get cheap shit for a dollar when you ain't GOT a dollar.

Anyway, suffice to say I despise Wal-Mart. No, really.

Yes, the folks at Four Winns are WELL aware of this clusterf*k. We're talking about what steps are to be taken to get this issue resolved. So until that moves forward it's too early to talk about the next steps.

Quite simply, pay me now or pay me and my attorney a LOT MORE later summarizes it quite succinctly. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:22 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

wkearney99 wrote:
Hey, we're all little fish in one way or another.

When the little guy doesn't have a job the ripple effects of that cause enough harm for everyone to notice. Tragically the sheeple have being paying no attention to being sold down the river all in the name of "low prices". Doesn't do much good to get cheap shit for a dollar when you ain't GOT a dollar.

Yes, the folks at Four Winns are WELL aware of this clusterf*k. We're talking about what steps are to be taken to get this issue resolved. So until that moves forward it's too early to talk about the next steps.

Quite simply, pay me now or pay me and my attorney a LOT MORE later summarizes it quite succinctly. :twisted:

Bill,

I hear you fully about the ripple effects.. Sort of like me being sold to an outsourcing company where I work (in IT) and the company going with "best shore" service for first level support.. NONE of the "clients" are happy.. But the CIO makes sure he rides our rears because his is on the line.. I hope when it's all said and done they can his worthless can..

Quality does come at a price... When Wally runs all the other buisness completely out of town then the "Always low prices" strategy will be replaced with "I pledge alegiance to the WalMart of the United States of Walmart" Resistance is futile, we are THE WALMART!

Keep me aprised of your progress on the siteation(sic) I sure hope FW picks up the ball that your dealer dropped, then I hope they turn around and bean the dealer in the head with said ball, and I hope it's a croquet ball! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:29 pm 
Dolphin

wkearney99 wrote:

Wow, guess I really stepped in that. Sorry to light a fire. What was the title of this thread again??? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:29 pm 
wkearney99

First_Mate wrote:
What was the title of this thread again??? :wink:

Heh, I guess the title covers more than one issue! :lol: