www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:21 pm 
wkearney99

I am UNBELIEVABLY displeased. As many of you following the on-going saga of cleaning up after bad dealer work may know, I've been trying to get the hot water heater replaced.

When I spoke with Mike at Four Winns in the early morning of Monday the 20th (this week) he indicated a new heater would be shipped 2nd day air. We agree that it had to be here before the end of THIS week, Friday the 24th (today). Guess what? They didn't ship it until YESTERDAY, they 23rd. So it won't be here this week. It won't even be here this weekend. No, it won't be here until Monday of next week.

I said to Mike if there's any hesitation on anyone's part about shipping this so it gets to be by FRIDAY that I'd pay for it. Upfront, in total, regardless of warranty coverage or whatever. They shipped it two-day alright, TWO DAYS TOO LATE. And did I at least get the courtesy of a heads-up phone call about the delay in shipment? Of course not. I rearranged my schedule to be available to receive this and get it reinstalled.

I can't very well reassemble this thing half-assed. That cancels the four day weekend we had planned.

First the dealer, now the factory drops the ball. So much for actually helping us enjoy the boat. Instead, it's yet another case of a company involved with a Four Winns boat making promises that don't get kept.

:evil: :( :!:

Post subject: UPDATE: Jump? How high?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:02 pm 
wkearney99

Apparently the head of customer service getting a BLISTERING chewing out from me got some people MOVING. There's another unit coming overnight for Saturday delivery. I'll just 'refuse delivery' of the original unit and let it go back to the factory.

Never underestimate the power of the chewing your way up the 'chain of command'. Ya gotta use it sparingly, but it gets results now and then.

I really hate having to bust people's chops. And I'm sure it's trite to say something like it's getting worse and worse these days. But, I tell you, more and more I hear from friends of people just not doing the job needed. Not just "their job" but "the job needed".

Anyway, I'm a bit less STEAMED about it now (hot water humor, eh?) but the pot's still on simmer until tomorrow... stay tuned...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:09 pm 
Dolphin

Good luck getting that thing back together. I agree, four-day weekends have a much higher opportunity cost than overnight or second day shipping.

FWIW, my experience with Four Winns has been extremely positive. That said, I don't think I've even beer waiting for parts overnight....

Have a great weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:50 pm 
wkearney99

Thanks, I appreciate the words of support. It'll still screw up tomorrow's plans as I'm sure it'll take a couple of hours to get it all back together. And of course the weather forecast is for it to be HOT tomorrow too. Couldn't come during this week when it was exceptionally cool... Ah well, at least then I'll then NEED the hot water to wash up.

We were planning on making a trip up to Havre de Grace. We may still give it a go. We've made an early run back from Georgetown on the Sassafras to Annapolis before work one morning. So perhaps we'll do the same thing on Tuesday morning. The early morning hours on the Chesapeake are really pleasant. The water's usually quite calm. We stayed Sunday night because of bad weather, in hopes it'd clear by the following morning. It didn't. But it did get "less worse" and ended up being a somewhat dreary but otherwise smooth journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:52 am 
wkearney99

The heater came in at 10:30 and by 1pm I was installing it. By 6pm it was all put back together. Trouble is it doesn't seem to be making hot water when on electrical power. I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Meanwhile the original unit is still set for delivery today. I have a neighbor keeping an eye out for it. Might be necessary to have it as a spare in case this one's not right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:39 am 
AGE < LOA

Bill, what is the capacity of the heater spec'd for the 348? Did you make it to havre de grace or is that planned for this week? If you are heading up I'd like to check out your boat. I was out on saturday but just on the jetski due to the forcast. Saturday was HOT - a good day to be confined to a 'ski!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:46 am 
wkearney99

We're in Havre de Grace now. Probably until this afternoon. I'll PM you with contact info.

Is there a way to get from Havre de Grace over to Charlestown? The chart doesn't have a lot of detail on the depths around what's labeled 'Carpenter Point'. No real reason to go over there, I suppose, other that to say we did. We plan on heading back south this evening, probably to spend the night at either Still Pond or Fairlee Creek. Then it'll be a straight run back to Annapolis so the admiral can get into work. Not as many days up here as we'd like but we try to take at least one "longer" trip each season. Last year's was down to St. Mary's City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:32 am 
AGE < LOA

Hmm... Not too sure about Charlestown Bill. I'm sure you can see all the "flats" on your chart I know it gets really shallow east of the channel at Havre de Grace. I wish I had better info for you; I've never been in the NE river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:32 pm 
wkearney99

I spoke with the guys in the store at Tidewater marina. They said there's just barely 4' there, but best to try it only at high tide. My next question was if there's anything to see up there. They said not much, and one of the guys LIVES there. So we'll just head back south the way we came. Tonight will probably be in Still Pond or Fairlee. Havre de Grace was nice, more on that later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:19 am 
Dolphin

Bill,

You make reference to the hot water heater not heating when on electrical power. Is it also heating from the engines? I've always wondered that. It seems like I've generally got hot water even if I haven't been on shore power or run the generator for quite a while.

Ben