www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:40 pm 
Dolphin

My wife and I will be going to look at a 2008 V458, I have a couple possible concerns. When I do a side by side comparison of the spec of this boat against a Sea Ray 48 the biggest difference is the size of the AC on the 458. The 458 shows 24,000 BTU and 18,000BTU for cabin and cockpit respectively.
The Sea Ray shows a 32,000 and a 24,000, I am also a member on the Sea Ray owners site and the biggest beaf on the 48 is the cockpit air and how poor it works. Now I know it is the design that matters and that is the reason I ask this question.
Also I see almost no activity on our owners site in regards to the V458 I am not sure how many are out there and what kind of support issues I may end up with. I have not been real happy with the support of my 348 we have now, but it has been a great boat with little need for support.
So any light any owners could share on how this vessel functions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

5.7 Volvo I/O

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:21 pm 
Shark

Terry,

Heck of a big step from the V348 to the V458. Good for you folks! I hope you do it so we can hear first-hand how it cruises and performs. Sorry I can't add any info you are looking for. We have a 2006 V378, I haven't seen anyone here with that beast. I have to say though, I think the lines and layout of the V458 is just plain beautiful! Only thing I'd have to get used to is the giant swim platform addition. While very functional it looks like a huge tongue depressor sticking out the back of the boat. Good luck, I'm excited for you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:35 pm 
Dolphin

JAK wrote:
Terry,

Heck of a big step from the V348 to the V458. Good for you folks! I hope you do it so we can hear first-hand how it cruises and performs. Sorry I can't add any info you are looking for. We have a 2006 V378, I haven't seen anyone here with that beast. I have to say though, I think the lines and layout of the V458 is just plain beautiful! Only thing I'd have to get used to is the giant swim platform addition. While very functional it looks like a huge tongue depressor sticking out the back of the boat. Good luck, I'm excited for you!

Thanks JAK.
I figure a step smaller than that would not be worth it, our 348 runs great. Just would like diesel and a little more room, the boat we are going to see does not have the hydraulic platform. I agree it just looks a little big to me.
Was sure hoping someone would have one and chime in, thats too bad.
Will keep you posted if we go ahead.
Thanks

5.7 Volvo I/O

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 pm 
AGE < LOA

I've looked at three of them last year in south fl but it was Dec. in the low 80s. You still needed ac to make it comfortable. They've added a walk through windshield starting with the '12 models which was certainly lacking before. The ac cycled topside and kept it plenty cool, but again, it was low 80s. I'd imagine it would be fine if keeping her in your region. I know of two owners but one was in N NJ and haven't heard back from him since the storm. FW added a walk through windshield starting with the '12 models which was certainly lacking before. There isn't an opportunity for much air movement on this boat as you'll see. I can ping another guy who's located in TN and gather his thoughts. FYI your best chance at finding other 458 owners is on the IPS owners forum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 pm 
Dolphin

mkivbren wrote:
I've looked at three of them last year in south fl but it was Dec. in the low 80s. You still needed ac to make it comfortable. They've added a walk through windshield starting with the '12 models which was certainly lacking before. The ac cycled topside and kept it plenty cool, but again, it was low 80s. I'd imagine it would be fine if keeping her in your region. I know of two owners but one was in N NJ and haven't heard back from him since the storm. FW added a walk through windshield starting with the '12 models which was certainly lacking before. There isn't an opportunity for much air movement on this boat as you'll see. I can ping another guy who's located in TN and gather his thoughts. FYI your best chance at finding other 458 owners is on the IPS owners forum.

Great
Thanks for the info, I would appreciate anyone you can reach. I agree a walk through would be nice but a 2012 in not in the cards. The windshield has front vents that open then of course you have the two roof vents so I thought the air flow while underway would be good and can understand it would get hot while on the hook.
I will also look at the IPS form, good idea.

5.7 Volvo I/O

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:51 pm 
Tadpole

Did you end up getting the V458?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:57 pm 
Tadpole

Terry, not sure where you stand in getting the V458, I own a 2008 and as the other members said this is a big step up from your smaller boat. I had been looking at Sea Rays here on the Chesapeake Bay but ended up with a the 458. According to some consultants I talked to the Four Winns has an excellent hull design and they do not like the Sea Rays so much. We bought in Ft Lauderdale about a year ago and cruised up to the Bay, great fun. As for AC in the cockpit do not have a problem keeping cool, in fact when running never use the cockpit AC. Just flip open the top hatches, drop the windscreen and there is plenty of air. Of coursed docked or at anchor the AC is very nice. Did upgrade the saloon/aft cabin to higher BTUs and everything stays pretty cool. Best of luck. BTW there are a lot of systems on this boat as on all larger boats of this size so be prepared.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:34 pm 
Tadpole

I also have a 2008 V458, the cabin AC units were both upgraded to 16k BTU units which also requires the main duct from the unit to the diffuser.

The cockpit unit works great, after a small conversion to the main vent under the helm seat.
This vent blows air straight out and ends up with the cool air going underneath the table on the port side. We added veins to deflect the air in an upward direction and that really did the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:52 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have a 6k btu AC in my 22ft cuddy here in Florida just to give you an example. What that Vista has stock will not work in southern environments when it's 105 degrees and 90% humidity.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:01 am 
AGE < LOA

Luke wrote:
Terry, not sure where you stand in getting the V458, I own a 2008 and as the other members said this is a big step up from your smaller boat. I had been looking at Sea Rays here on the Chesapeake Bay but ended up with a the 458. According to some consultants I talked to the Four Winns has an excellent hull design and they do not like the Sea Rays so much. We bought in Ft Lauderdale about a year ago and cruised up to the Bay, great fun. As for AC in the cockpit do not have a problem keeping cool, in fact when running never use the cockpit AC. Just flip open the top hatches, drop the windscreen and there is plenty of air. Of coursed docked or at anchor the AC is very nice. Did upgrade the saloon/aft cabin to higher BTUs and everything stays pretty cool. Best of luck. BTW there are a lot of systems on this boat as on all larger boats of this size so be prepared.

Luke congrats on your purchase! Did you pick up the blk/white 08 higher hour boat at Intermarine? I think you're the only 458 on the Chesapeake. Riverside (who used to be the FW dealer in the area) never sold a 435 or 458/475 model.