www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bearing Buddies?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

Can anyone tell me how to measure for Bearing Buddies on my FW trailer?

Thanks!

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

Post subject: Re: Bearing Buddies?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:04 am 
Shark

I would start with this:

http://bearingbuddy.com/sizegage.html

and this might help as well:

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/model.html

I started to buy these bearing buddies, but then I found out my FW trailer has a sealed bearing. You might check to see if your trailer has that or not. Maybe someone else has more knowledge with this topic.

-Matt

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 pm 

Do you already have some Bearing Buddies that you're replacing, or putting them on for the first time? Do you have the grease fittings on your hubs or spindles currently?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:17 pm 

If you have the super lube or spindle lube hubs with the rubber plug you remove to access a zerk fitting in the spindle forget about bearing buddies; the super lube hubs are far better. They allow a complete change of grease and check for milkyness (water). I have the same bearings in the axle Champion Trailers built for me back in 04.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:59 am 

LouC wrote:
If you have the super lube or spindle lube hubs with the rubber plug you remove to access a zerk fitting in the spindle forget about bearing buddies; the super lube hubs are far better. They allow a complete change of grease and check for milkyness (water). I have the same bearings in the axle Champion Trailers built for me back in 04.

I have these. Unfortunately the rubber plugs won't seat properly and so I get grease all over the rims. Any ideas of better plugs for these? I will have to try to take a pic of what is going on. They seem really messy.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 am 

If the rubber plugs are not seating properly then you are getting water inside your hubs. Not good. I learned this the hard way last year.
I had one of my plugs crack and let water in. I noticed some grease on my rim but ignored it thinking I dripped some when greasing them. Then the outer bearing failed and the tire almost came off going down the road. :shock:

I plan on pulling the entire cap off and cleaning out the used grease once a year now. When doing this you can also inspect for rust or discolored grease. (I discovered another hub with discolored grease and found a small pin hole in the cap that also let water in) Then pump new grease in the spindle until you see it come out the bearings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am 

Yeah that is what I was worried about! I was thinking the bearing buddies might help that issue from happening again.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 am 

Bearing buddies will absolutely not work in your application. You need to make sure water is not getting in and that your bearings are not too tight and your brakes are not dragging. If your rear seal leaks, it can let water in that might be pressurizing the hubs. Then when the grease heats up due to friction the pressure forces the grease out. Either the rubber caps don't fit right or another possibility is the bearings are getting hot, pressurizing the grease and forcing it out. Get a new set of rubber caps and when you grease it, scoop out the grease that is right inside the hole for the cap. Use a screwdriver because the inside edge of those caps can be sharp, do not stick your finger in there. That will allow some room for expansion. If this keeps happening I bet your brakes are dragging or the bearings are too tight causing heat build up, or the seal in the hub is letting water in. I have drum brakes which run cooler than discs on a surge system and I have never had that problem, with 10 years of use with the super lube system. I have not had to change the seals, or rubber caps in all this time.
I do make sure that the brakes do not drag and spin the wheels to check the smoothness of the bearings.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:43 am 

hutch9900 wrote:
I have these. Unfortunately the rubber plugs won't seat properly and so I get grease all over the rims. Any ideas of better plugs for these? I will have to try to take a pic of what is going on. They seem really messy.

My plugs were allowing water into the hub as well. Replaced them and things are nice and dry now.

http://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Engineer ... B0000AYC87

I have not used the axles in the way they are designed. I still remove the hubs and bearings and repack. Do you guys trust the axle grease zerk to do the job correctly? Do you just pump grease into it until you see clean grease pushing out? What about the rear bearing, does it get completely re-packed? Is there any concern of pushing the rear seal out?

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 am 

schoolsOut wrote:
hutch9900 wrote:

My plugs were allowing water into the hub as well. Replaced them and things are nice and dry now.

I have not used the axles in the way they are designed. I still remove the hubs and bearings and repack. Do you guys trust the axle grease zerk to do the job correctly? Do you just pump grease into it until you see clean grease pushing out? What about the rear bearing, does it get completely re-packed? Is there any concern of pushing the rear seal out?

Yes, these are what I have. I know nothing about brakes or bearings. I just know that the bearings like grease! I am going to have the brakes replaced this spring before make the trips we have been planning.....sounds like this is something else that needs to be looked into as well :(

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:50 am 

Bearing Buddies were designed to seal out water and provide a little extra grease under light spring pressure to ensure bearing lubrication. During normal operation the use of brakes generates significant heat. This causes the grease to expand, sometimes more than space allows. This may force grease past the inner seal, and trailers with drum brakes will have grease flinging on to the brakes. This makes the brake ineffective. The hot wheel hubs are then immersed in water when launching the boat. This cooling can cause water to be drawn in to the hub. Bearing Buddies will work rather well if they are never over serviced or under serviced. If water gets past the inboard (or rear) seal it usually goes undetected until the next servicing or failure. The weakest pressure holding point is the inboard seal.

The super lube hub with the grease zerk on the end of the axle is more likely to show signs of water contamination or bearing distress if there are any than the bearing buddy. When you pull the rubber plug you can see any grease discoloration from water contamination or rust. Grease is pumped through the axle, out into the bearing cavity, and back toward the outboard end. The most contaminated grease is usually just inside the rubber plug and is easily removed. They can be messy.

Most boaters do not check trailer bearings as often as recommended. Having a grease gun, spare plugs, and other parts may reduce those unplanned roadside "inconveniences".

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 am 

schoolsOut wrote:
hutch9900 wrote:

Ten years worth and no water in the grease and I've never had to take them apart. I grease them once a season at the end. Then I look for water in the grease that comes out. The proper way to grease them is to jack up the wheel you are doing and spin the wheel while pumping in the grease. Pump in enough to see the grease come all the way out. If there is any milkyness you will see it and then you have to take it all apart and inspect the bearings, replace if you see rust or pitting. I think this is the best system out there. And my boating is 100% in salt water.

Yes it greases the rear bearing and no it does not blow out the rear seal because it does not really pressurize the seal.
If the grease is not milky no need to take it all apart.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:33 pm 

grease Cap plug Posi-lube (bulk Ea) - 02486 | Bearings ...
www.trailerpartsdepot.com $.91 each

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:03 pm 

Thalasso wrote:
grease Cap plug Posi-lube (bulk Ea) - 02486 | Bearings ...
http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com $.91 each

I have a couple of these, along with one of the metal caps they go in, a loaded grease gun, a set of bearings, and all the tools required to replace them in a box that I throw in the truck every time I tow the boat now.
Getting a tow dolly rigged up to your trailer and limping it home is no fun and not cheap. :( And I was lucky to be only a couple miles from home. Still thinking what a PITA it would have been had I been 50-100 or more miles from home. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:08 pm 

How about type of grease? My dad owns a garage so I just use the same grease he uses in automotive applications, since the gun is preloaded. My thought was that if I keep the inside of the hubs dry, then it does not matter. I was planning to get a grease gun for home. Should I get marine grade grease? What brand do you guys use?

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"