www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Galley Stove
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm thinking of updating our galley stove. In the entire time I've owned this boat my wife had not used the alcohol burner on ours. I have the stove shown in the photo which I believe is manufactured by Kenyan. If I am correct this shows a cutout that is 12.25 square.

I'm was considering this model but it shows a cutout of 10.75 x 11.5 and an overall size of 12 x 12.5 so I'm thinking I'll have a void area if I try using this model.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=1448540

Has anyone replaced their stove and is there another model or manufacturer I should be considering?

I believe my current stove may have the control dial not working correctly. If I can find the parts for this I could replace that in the short term but don't know if I want to put money into this one or if I can even buy just that part. I'm thinking I can replace it with a different model that might be flush with the countertop.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Galley Stove
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:12 pm 

Fire off an email to Four Winns to see if the cutout is the same size. We had the one you linked to on our 268 and were happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:11 pm 

I has thinking of upgrading to a butane stove. For the times that we have no shore power.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:33 am 

I sent an email to Kenyon inquiring about my cooktop and a replacement. The next morning I got a phone call from them and I have to say I got tremendous customer support from them. The part is on it's way to fix my existing cooktop and he said that he can fit me with an insert that will take care of the extra space should I decide to go that route.

I don't know why my wife doesn't care for the alcohol burner. I personally think it works just fine but my opinion is not the one that counts. The folks at Kenyon are keeping their eye out for a second or blemish cooktop and I will go that route when they come up with one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 am 

Flyer51 wrote:

I don't know why my wife doesn't care for the alcohol burner. I personally think it works just fine but my opinion is not the one that counts.

Can I ask where you get the alcohol for it? And where do you store it when underway, is it dangerous to store in the cabin like propane?

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:56 am 

LVChris wrote:
Flyer51 wrote:

I don't know why my wife doesn't care for the alcohol burner. I personally think it works just fine but my opinion is not the one that counts.

Can I ask where you get the alcohol for it? And where do you store it when underway, is it dangerous to store in the cabin like propane?

I got it from the hardware store down the street. Didn't even know they carried it until I went looking for it. It is poured into a sealed container in the stove and wicks into something that looks like some sort of fabric batting which I'm sure it's not. You light it and once it gets warmed up it burns like a regular gas stove. I thought it was kind of neat. My wife not so much :-) Since we never used it much I had no need to store the alcohol on board. I think one filling would certainly last you a while and it wouldn't be necessary to carry a much on board.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:39 pm 
Goldfish

We burn methayl hydrate in ours, works great and costs considerably less