www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:06 am 
ShanMan

The trash can wouldn't fit in there any longer if I install a duct, however we only use it to store paper towels anyway.

There is another possibility of drilling a hole through the inside of the step, on the left, as well. This would provide direct access to the AC unit.

As far as bringing it up and through the cabinet, I'd actually be working inside the cabnet accessed below the microwave on the outside. I was thinking fish tape or clothes hanger to get it there. :D

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:34 pm 
wkearney99

Well, I find it's always a good idea to plan modifications that don't interfere with existing features. Just because you don't use the trashcan "that much" now doesn't mean the next person to buy the boat will feel the same way. It'd be better to route the hole such that it kept the trashcan working.

They sell fiberglass rods for fishing wire. That and two types of fish 'tape'. One is a flat tape (perfect for running a wire along the ceiling in a 348) and the more typical thicker type. The thicker type might work best here. And you may want to actually cut a chunk of it off the reel and feed the hose along that section. Or similarly with the rod type, if there's room. Use that as a guide inside the hose to give it something to follow.

But given the hassles of doing that you'd really be better off just pulling out the refrigerator. By the time you poke and fish around back there you'll have wasted a LOT more time than it takes to pop the fridge out of the cabinet. Seriously, you'll have to pull it anyway when you start looking to cut some sort of holes for the exit grille. You don't want to just let the sawdust fall inside the cabinet. It would eventually work it's way into the bilge, get saturated by water and clog the hell out of your pump and/or float. Worst case, there's a leak and that's the only pump that would've kept it from sinking...

So I'm still not clear on how you expect to get the hose up and out. Can you snap a picture or two from behind the removed refrigerator and inside the double-door cabinet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:15 pm 
ShanMan

This is inside the double door cabinet:

I haven't removed the refrigerator yet, but that will certainly make the job easier.

As far not understanding how to get the hose "up and out"... I'm not sure I understand. :shock: Are you referring to how I intend to get the hose turned 90 degrees?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:56 pm 
wkearney99

By 'up and out' I was referring to how you'd come up from the cabinet below and then out onto the berth. I can't quite tell from the pictures I've seen just where the level of the mattress is in relation to the cabinets. I was figuring that if you came across underneath of the counter, behind the fridge, that the hose would have to come up in order to get out. It looks like the counter edge is below (or at) the level of the bedding. You can't have it that low. Bedding would block it, or someone sleeping on that side would get very uncomfortable.

So just where would it have to come out? If it has to come up and then hang a sharp 90 degree you run into the problem of losing airflow. I'm no expert on AC equipment but I'd have to wonder if there's not some sort of fixture that allows the hose to connect from below and then right-angles to a grille. I recall some european AC systems use hoses. That and RV systems. I looked but can't readily distinguish the name of the vendor on the existing grilles in our 348.

I'm still thinking that going along the top would be better. There's already a large hose feeding the area and you'd get the natural 'cold air falls' convection. That and you wouldn't be losing any space in the cabinets, besides that shelf of course.

Another point to consider is you really want this hose protected. You do not want to just tuck it up inside the cabinet without some sort of box around it. Two pieces of veneered wood at a right angle would make a nice box to enclose the hose. That way you wouldn't have to worry about anything being stuffed into the cabinet rupturing or crushing the hose. And don't think that won't happen... heh. We all cram more in there than fits, right?