www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery Switch Questions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:06 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have the Perko 2 Bank system and I have a questions.

I was told by the previous owner to start the engine with the switch on 1 and when not running to go to 2. In the event that I needed more "juice" i would put it on both.

Question 1. If I have the switch on 1 or 2 as opposed to BOTH do both banks get charged?

Question 2. Why do my electronics shut off when I start up my engine? I would guess this is not the proper behavior.

Question 3. Is the description on use given to me by the previous owner correct or should i be doing something different?

Thanks as always,

Walter

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:11 pm 

Location: Live Manchester England, Boat Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
I have the same problem!

When you say your electronics shut of, what elecronics do you mean?

If say a Plotter is connected to battery 1 and you start your engine with battery 1 only, the voltage drop can trip it out, mine trips at anything less than 7.9V according to my Plotter manual it does no harm, and is quite normal.

If I start the engine with the switch on BOTH in my case 3 batteries, no problem as the drop must stay above 7.9V

As for the the charging I'm sure I read in the Boat manual that only the batteries that you are switched to, will be charged from the alternator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:13 pm 

Walter,

Which battery you select for starting depends on the battery types fitted. Starter batteries have plates designed to allow very high current to be drawn for the starter but don't respond that well to being almost completely discharged. over a period of time. "House" batteries are designed for continual discharge, running things like fridges etc. but don't respond well to high current draw like a starter calls for. Some boats have a "Starter" battery and a "house " battery. Some, like mine, have 2 starter batteries, so I can select either ( I tend to alternate between one and the other). Yours being a cruiser may well have a house battery and a starter battery.

Only the battery selected will be charged ( I'm sure you know that if swapping from 1 to 2, make sure it's over the "1+2" and not over "0", which could fry the alternator). Both can be charged at the same time with "1+2" selected, but how well depends on how discharged they are; this is limited by the alternator output. After starting my engine, I tend to charge the battery I used for at least half an hour, before switching to "1 + 2".

Regarding the electronics switching off, it's due to voltage drop as the starter draws current. Some electronics are more sensitive than others. Both my Garmin fishfinder and Navman Chartplotter are wired to a fusebox connected directly to the battery switch with heavy gauge cable, to minimise voltage drop. The Garmin stays on, the Navman switches off every time!

Regards,

Graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:17 pm 

My Garmin GPS is what shuts off. I am going to try this weekend with both to see if 2 batteries will handle the voltage drop issue. Both of my batteries are the same. Do other Vista owners have this set up? I would assume being a cruiser I should have a "house" battery. Is this something I should be worried about?

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:16 pm 
Dolphin

The 248 Vista's batteries are the same,either can be used to start and run your engine. The 268 Vistas have a different setup, one for startup and the other a house battery. I would advise against starting your boat in the "both" selection. It would be easy to forget and leave it on that setting. The battery switch should be set to either # 1 or # 2 never both,unless they are run down and you need both to start your engine. The reason for not selecting both is first for charging your battery. You may not charge the weak battery when running on both. A second reason would be if one of your battteries need replacement you may not be aware of it since you are starting your engine in the "both" selection.

I will run on only one battery at a time and make sure to alternate batteries each time I go out. If you are charging your batteries via the on board battery charger it will charge both batteries regardless of your switch setting.

As far as electronics goes, I always wait till after starting up the engine to power them up. While the engine is warming I start them and make sure everything is working.