www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My headliner won't stick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

As previously advertised by 248Vista, my headliner in my cabin as you walk in through the door is sagging. It attaches to the forward headliner via some velcro system. I have in the past put lots of pressure for a couple mins but the problem returns. It is at the point where the Velcro just won't hold.

I was curious as to how any of you who have had the same problem solved it. I assume I could always put new Velcro system but this does not appear like the long term solution.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated as always.

Walter

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:43 pm 
AGE < LOA

It's a pain. mine wasn't really sagging but the velcro had come loose in a few spots mainly on the starboard side. I ended up having to pull down the whole starboard side to run the wire harness to the guest spotlight I installed. I want to spend more time on it but came up with a little repair. The velcro is held in by adhesive and staples in addition to the screws. I used some of the expensive 3m locking velcro stuff in some places (stapling it in) in addition to restapling the existing velcro, as it pulled away at the staples instead of the the velcro interface when i pulled down the ceiling panels. It seems to have held all summer. I have seen another thread where people added screws and I might run a few in some day if a spot gets bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:12 pm 
Dolphin

This is a common problem with 248 Vistas. Mine did the same thing in when I purchased it new in 2000. The dealer fixed mine under warranty by installing screws every 12 inches. The screws head are covered by a white plastic cap that matches the headliner. It looks very good and it didnt' take away from the appearance at all. This fixed the problem,no sagging after 7 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:15 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Brenden,

I was actually going to mention the 3M Superloc "velcro" which isn't really velco. Go to Radioshack you can get a pack of these things for like $5.00 they are 1"x1" squares with some super gooey adhesive, they stick to practically anything. And unlike velcro, they are actually melted over spines of plastic (they look like mushrooms) and they "CLICK" into each other.. I've used this stuff to hold radio and tv remotes to the dash of previous boats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:10 pm 
Whatever

I just got done fixing ours last weekend. I went with a few screws with the plastic caps that were mentioned. I got the screws and caps from west marine. Had to buy a few extra caps because I couldn't find an exact color match with the existing screw caps.

I believe that this is a better fix vs. the velcro/adhesive route, as in the summer heat/sun, adhesives just are not going to hold.

When you predrill holes for screws, be very careful not to go all the way through deck. I have heard of some doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:55 pm 

Mine did the same thing as well. Just installed the screws and now its fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 am 

Can any of you guys that used the screws with plastic caps show me pictures of what this looks like?

Thanks,

Walter

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:56 pm 
wkearney99

The screw caps are available at any marine store (and most hardware stores too). It's a little collar that sits under the screw. Sort of like a washer. You just insert the screw and attach it. Then the colored cap snaps onto the collar. Neatly hiding the screw while also have a little extra holding surface via the collar (as opposed to the twist-and-rip nature of a screw alone).

Like these available from West Marine:

Last edited by wkearney99 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:07 pm 
Whatever

I got my snapcaps from west marine, approx $2.79 for 10 of them. They come in 3 different colors. I would post a photo, but don't know how.[/img]