www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:03 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Yes it's true.. the time has come, to give my 248 a new home.... A garage, silly!!!! :)

I have the guy who originally did the block work on my home scheduled to come down on Wednesday and do the pad. We are going 4.5" thick with rebar, two triaxles of stone and he's also doing all the escavation work for $3250.00 that's for a 35x19' pad (the building is 36x18 including the overhangs yeah you always get shafted for a couple inches!) :)

I am probably going to order two doors from US Door, one piece roll up commercial doors 12' x 12' and the building will be all steel, 12 gauge horizontal side walls, vertical A-Pitch roof with boxed eaved in Gray (sides) white (roof) and white doors and bright work. Total cost will be around 10K before heat, wiring, insultation etc.

I figure at 36' long with 12x12 doors I am leaving myself some "future" room. I am sure a 30' or 32' with a swing tonque and a folding radar arch will fit in there? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:12 pm 
Whatever

This will be very nice. 8)

Thats what I need. If you don't mind me asking, how much approx will you be into something like this?

I am needing something with inside length of at least 36' for our 35' 5th and 13' high doors. This will give enough room on the other side for a bigger boat as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:13 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Powell,

I'm looking at about 10 grand for the concrete, building and doors. The building is comming from http://www.eaglecarports.com/index.html
and the doors will come from http://www.usdoor.com/door/index.html

The building will come in just under 6 grand installed. That's a 12' leg height with 12 guage legs, veritcal roof pannels, horizontal side pannels, one Man door and finished 12x12 openings (one in each end) that does not include garage doors as the biggest they handle are 10x10's. The doors are $625.00 each for the base model. I may upgrade to the model with nylon runners on each side of the door, mylar insulation on the backside which would bring the price of the doors up in the $800 a piece range.

That includes installation of the building but not the doors (I can handle the doors myself, I've already put three new sectionals on my house in the past year).

I will run the electric myself, do the insulation myself and hook up a Pellet Stove for heat. I already have a pellet stove in my basement so it makes sense to stick with the same heat source. I will probably go with a pellet furnace rather than a decorative model like I have in the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:57 am 
email admin your custom rank

Brett,

I'm jealous!!!! That is gonna look great. Take some pics from start to finish so we can see it go up.

Congratulations.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:58 pm 
Whatever

Thanks for the info and link. I looked around there site for a few, I will have to check it out some more.

I may consider one of there car ports, just need to keep the snow off the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:42 pm 
AGE < LOA

That's awesome man! I know we talked about it when I put up pics of my supra. what psi concrete are you going with? I would stand over them and make sure they don't add water to the design mix if you are going with 3000. I think they did that to my pad - I couldn't get the torque value I needed on one of my studs for the lift. My dimensions seem to be about the same as yours. My next garage will have a apartment above like my buddy's garage! The carport is great for the horizon - it clears the beam by maybe a half inch but I can fit the horizon with the tongue removed and the mega there.

You still going with doors on either end? Also, check out the liftmaster jackshaft openers if you want an opener. I went with a commercial one with auto locking mechanisms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:25 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Brenden,

Hmmmm...... Not sure what PSI the concrete is.. I just assume since this is the guy who built my foundation, footer and floor for the house (back in 85) that he knows what's going on. He knows the load that the floor will have to sustain. What PSI number should be used? I will ask him.

Yep I am going with the door in each end (and a man door, location TBD). Dual 12x12's so I can drive straight through the building without any white knuckling. I am looking at US Door model 651 commercial one piece roll up doors. They come with a 4:1 hand chain drive to lift the doors, and a garage door opener just fastens right to the headstock of the door.

What is on the inside of your garage? What did you do for insulation? Is it studded and drywalled? what about heat source?

I have decided on the heat source (wood pellet stove) but I am not yet sure how I am going to insulate it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:48 pm 
AGE < LOA

Well, most lifts require at least 3000 psi, if I was building one I'd do 3500 or 4000 depending upon the price difference. Mine was built in 96 by the prior owner. He finished off the inside with drywall and did an oil burner. Its a compact standup unit and doesn't take up a lot of space and heats the area very quick. I will say he did go nuts with insulation and the steel doors are insulated. But I'd check into the specs for a lift that you would want in the future (you know you want one 8) ) and make sure your slab meets the specs. But they are mostly 3000 psi and 4" thick I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:58 pm 

very cool. if you're thinking about a bigger boat (and who isn't) the 12' door could limit you since the trailer width comes into play. i vote for 15' width!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:28 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

rjrose wrote:
very cool. if you're thinking about a bigger boat (and who isn't) the 12' door could limit you since the trailer width comes into play. i vote for 15' width!!!!

The 12' door will alot more more width than I am comfortable trailering. Wide beam boats are great, and they belong on the water :)

Brenden,

Spoke with my concrete guy tonight, he will begin the site escavation tomorrow. The concrete is 4000PSI. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:04 pm 
Mental Floss

I'm holding y'all responsible for my boats now "bad attitude" Mental Floss now has a sever case of "garage envy". She is resisting going back to her bay surrounded by RVs.

Looks great.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:38 pm 
Dolphin

Here where my Vista is spending the winter;

She been winterized,washed,waxed,and jacked(trailer). Connected to shore power over winter to keep batteries fully charged as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:37 pm 

That looks AWESOME Fred.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4