www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Screen repair
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

2001 fourwinns vista 248 has the dreaded glue in screens. After alot of searching i decided to fix them myself. Here is what I did, it turned out pretty good. Remove the old screen and window seal. They should pull out fairly easy, mine did.

Untitled by rick2752, on Flickr

Seal and screen removed.

Remove the excess glue and residual from old screen with a putty knife.

Cleaned up and ready to go.

Next I trimmed a piece of screen close to size doesnt need to be perfect.

Spray some 3m 777 glue on to a a piece of cardboard or in my case a milk jug.

Using a small craft paintbrush, apply the glue to the bottom lip and one side where the screen sits. Let the glue set up for a few minutes. By letting bottom set up you can apply more tension to tighten the screen.

After glue has set up, take a razor blade and trim any excess screen material that is sticking over the slot that the window seal goes in.

Install the seal using putty knife to push it into the groove. I started in the middle at the bottom and worked around both ways.

Taaaadaa!

Post subject: Re: Screen repair
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:50 am 
Seahorse

Been trying to figure this out. Thanks for the information and great pictures. We have a broken screen and it has been driving my wife nuts!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:38 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Thank you for this information Rick! I did The port side (kitchen counter) today, turned out very nice. Ran a little short on time, headed to the blues/wild game tonight. Plan on doing the starboard (head) tomorrow. Only the screens that line up with the cleats are an issue.... bad design imo

Thanks again, perfect for 2002, Vista 268 screen repair :lol:

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Thanks for posting. I read up on this over the summer and seemed to be a pain.
Just one question, it looks like put the seal on first than you glued the screen straight to the seal. Then you pushed the excess screen behind the seal. I thought the screen went on first then the seal was pushed on top of the screen to hold it in.
Not at the boat to see how mine are attached and going by memory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:43 pm 
Livin' the Dream

This was very simple, 15 minutes of actual working time (per window)... screen glues to the old frame on about 3/16 flat ring around the window, then the rubber presses into the groove on the frame

First, the rubber gasket is held in place by a tongue on the gasket, and a groove in the port frame. Just gently pull the gasket working around it from the inside, once it starts coming out, it’s pretty easy. The PO tried to fix mine and got some glue on the old gasket, just had to work it free. That will expose the screen, just pull it loose from the frame. Then scrape the old glue away to get a good service again.

Take some cardboard or a milk jug like the OP used, spray maybe 5 seconds worth of 3M 77 spray adhesive (I got a can from Home Depot, paint section $9). Use small craft paint brush (bought an assortment from dollar general for $2). I used 1 brush per window. I used the old screen as patterns for the 2 new ones. I cut it maybe 1/4 larger, tops. I painted The whole top edge with the brush, let is sit for a couple minutes to get a little tacky. Start with the screen on the top, press in place. Let sit for a few minutes til it sets up. Good time to catch up with the other screen... Then I painted the left and right side of the frame and worked it snug. Lastly, did the bottom.

After a min or 2, I went back and snuggled the bottom, so it’s tight. Didn’t take much, I used A small tool and pushed into the groove, anything to snug it down. Then go back to the second window and repeat glueing the sides and bottom, snug it up.... make sure the glue is set up, use an exacto knife to run along the groove and remove excess screen. After that, use your thumbs or a putty knife or anything that does not cut the rubber gasket to push it back into the groove.

I was Working on other projects so my down time between glue sections varied. It looks fantastic. If I was better at posting pics on here, I would of, but the OP did a nice job

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:55 pm 
Tadpole

:D I did this 2 weekends ago, works perfect.