www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding a Windless
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:16 am 
Seahorse

My 268 does not have a windless anchor although it looks like all the wiring may be in place. Any suggestions on a brand (type) and cost of the addition? I assume this is not a " do it yourself" project.

Post subject: Re: Adding a Windless
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:35 am 
email admin your custom rank

Dude53 wrote:
My 268 does not have a windless anchor although it looks like all the wiring may be in place. Any suggestions on a brand (type) and cost of the addition? I assume this is not a " do it yourself" project.

It can be a DYI project depending on how handy you are and how comfortable you are in cutting a couple 3"-4" holes in the bow of the boat.

I did it on an '03 268 and the control wiring was there but the main power runs were not. I tried to duplicate the factory setup as close as possible. so i mounted another breaker, in the same panel the ship systems breaker is in. Ran battery cable up the port side to the anchor locker, then mounted a contactor in the locker.

I used a lewmar V700 windlass, mounted that on the bow. Located the control wires from the dash switch to control the contactor. Plan on spending about a $1000.00 if you do it yourself. Should be a little less than that depending on what you get the windlass for.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:43 am 

YES!! to the post above!

I did it too, you just need to size the wire for the run length.

Go and download the manual from Lewmar and understand it before buying. They also have video on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:45 am 

I put one on my 2000 248. Again I ran new. Wire for the motor up the port side. I mounted the breaker under the trash can in the steps down to the cabin. I used the maxwell. I had a fibreglass shop do the glass work around it.

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:39 pm 

Another vote for jsimon's method; I did the exact same thing over the winter on my family's '01. The only PITA part was filling the original hole that the hawspipe used. Al (from BoatingABC.com) did an excellent writeup about the project, so I'll direct you to his site here... http://www.boat-project.com/mech/proj-14.htm. Like jsimon, I did have the control wiring in the anchor locker but wasn't lucky enough to have the power wiring already in place like Al did, so I had to run mine as well, and I too ran the wiring up the port side. First past the A/C, through the aft cabin storage, then under the step, behind the galley, and then behind the port side top shelf in the vee berth into the anchor locker where I mounted the reversing contactor to the windlass motor simply with tie wraps. That way, it's easy to service when the moisture in the locker messes the contactor up.
It only took me hauling the anchor manually once to decide this was the first needed upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:05 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks for all the help. Considering where I boat (Lake of the Ozarks) and the people I tie off with (much larger cruisers) I rarely drop anchor. That said, the few times I have makes this a worthy project.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:41 pm 
AGE < LOA

Dude - do a search or search my sn. I did this on my old 248 several years back. Fun project and lucky you - you'll have more room. G/l! I did this mod before my (new to me) 248 ever touched water.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 pm 
Clownfish

Dude53 I just posted about a windlass for an older 258V 1996 but I see you are on Lake of the Ozarks. I am also on this lake. Put your windlass on and I'll tie up to you. See ya sometime in Anderson Cove!!

Acguy I'm going to look your postings up. I did a search before posting but missed yours. I'm looking for an older version though.

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:45 am 
Seahorse

Elmwood, I am getting a quote from my "boat guy" at Ed's Marina. I will pass the information on to you. See you on the lake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 am 
Clownfish

Hey that's great Dude. I look forward to any info.

I'm on the rope this weekend. Heading up after work friday with friends. I'll be in Anderson Cove (party cove) in the little side cove in the back on the left. White and red 258 Vista if you happen that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:09 pm 

You might be interested in www.boat-project.com. This site shows several upgrades to the 268 Vista, including a windlass install. He includes step by step pictures and directions, and things to consider. Very well written. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon