www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:19 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

I managed to go out yesterday! Wow was it a gorgeous day with a clear sky and very comfortable temps. I didn't even take the generater along and the cabin was nice and cool.

On the way back to the marina I followed the same guy in the 35' Rinker that I followed leaving the marina. I went to pass on his port side and he must have decided I wanted to race (I was not close to this guy by any means) anyway when he hit it, that son of a bitch made one big hole in the water.. I took a wave over the bow! I mean, I actually got splashed in the face! I laughed so hard, it was like riding the log jammer at Kennywood. Needless to say I let Mr. 35 footer go... I just stayed on his stern :)

If that would have been someone in a small boat, that coulda been ugly!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 am 
Mental Floss

Unfortunately I see that behavior down here all the time. The only good thing is that my boat will do 48+ mph if needed so when it comes to needing to get out of the way, I can. My cook top is cracked from such an incident. A fellow in a 50 Carver in a narrow channel. I signalled I was going to go around him on his starboard side. As soon as I started out he brought that boat on plane looking back from the flybridge just laughing. It was take the wake or avoid it by going aground. I took it the best I could. After the cleanup, the refrig was forced open and a glass jar fell. Real mess and a cracked cook top. Unfortunately I couldn't get the name of his boat. By the time I go the binocs, fe was far enough away that the exhaust from the diesels were obsuring the view.

What I find very incoonsiderate and ususally sarcastically issue a thank you to, is those running in a narrow channel with their 40+ express or sportfish and not slowing down for anyone. Other than taking a chance of running aground, you have no real choice than getting tossed around and sometimes very hard.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

JV,

Well I guess I am partly to blame for the indicent as well. I did not signal to him and I SHOULD have. But we were both at displacement speed and I was off his port side by a huge margin and was back at least 100' when I decided to move over and pass. I wasn't going to pass on plane since I thought he was going to stop. He probably saw me moving over and assumed he was holding up traffic and decided to move on out. No harm no foul, the blast from the wave was refreshing! (LOL) I'm just glad I had my hatches and ports closed or I would have had to mop out the cabin!

I honestly don't know if I had enough HP to pass him if we were "racing" he had twin screws, probably big blocks or diesels I couldn't really tell (but I didn't smell diesel) the best I've been able to hit so far is 36 knots on the GPS and I think I am pretty well balls to the wall. I may be able to break 41GPS but that's about it!

I should have signaled though... Even though this is not a narrow channel. The river is very wide and it's deep all the way to shore line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I don't know about where you guys live but down here the majority of people don't even know the proper signals for passing. Here a touch of the horn is more likely to get the boat captain your passiing by to tell you your #1 then to allow you to pass. Its quite sad.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:41 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Walter,

Sad but true, here too... Probably another reason I didn't signal. It would have resulted in a "What the $^#& is he blowing the horn at me for?"