www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:57 pm 
Dolphin

MCLKS wrote:
Fellow Vista Owners,

Regarding engine data interfaces, I had contacted VP (by email) and received the following response to my question, "what type of interface and what is commercially available ?" I have twin VP 5.0GXi's and I have seen the amount of data available from the GM computer via a technician analyzer. Here is the responses from VP tech group:

- they are not NEMA compliant
- A scan tool such as Diacom or VP 2000 will give fuel consumption while the engine is running. The only other choice is to install a flow-scan on the fuel system, however, this is not recommended. (this answer was given after I mentioned to them that the marina tech had shown me GPH fuel usage, temp, etc. with just a scan tool connected to the engine ECM).
- The flow-scan will make problems if the correct fuel line or filter size is not selected. The same size line feeding the Volvo Penta water/fuel filter must be used. The communication method & protocol is SCI Transmit . No other method is used.

In summary, I have been searching for months for a solution that interfaces directly with the engine's ECM with no luck. It is VERY hard to believe that a product like VP distributed worldwide does not have a solution (by VP or after market). I like many others would love to have a console display to provide this information.

Mike

I've had almost the exact same email discussion (and telephone) with VP. I was so skeptical that there was no interface I felt the need to call and confirm. I've installed a fuel flow system and the world has not come to an end nor have I had any engine issues. After looking at the options my mechanic and I decided to not install fuel filters because of concern about constraining fuel flow. This doesn't jeopardize the engines at all though it may mike fuel flow sensor failure more likely.

Were you able to find out anything about the protocol the diagnostic tools and what they use? I use a product called a scangauge in my car that is an OBD II reader that displays gauge like information in real time. I'm pretty sure the marinized versions of these blocks don't have obd-II ports but I wonder if something similar could be rigged.

Ben