www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:25 am 
email admin your custom rank

My first two boats were new leftovers, so this will be my first build to order boat. If you try applying rational financial sense to boating, you wouldn't go boating. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 am 
Tadpole

Sierra, congratulations on the decision! I know you'll be pleased.

I'm going out on the lake today for a test ride on the FW358 and will be doing the same w/ the SR340 on Thursday. The major difference being that the 358 is equipped w/ the Crusader 6.0's and the 340 has the 8.1 Merc's. I'm really interested to see the difference between the two since the handling characteristics and weight of the two boats are very similar. Hopefully, I'll have all the info I need at that point.

I'm curious, which engine did you decide to go with?

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:43 am 
Sierra

jrcinnh wrote:
If you try applying rational financial sense to boating, you wouldn't go boating. Congratulations!

Indeed, one of the great tenets of this leisure activity. If I ever really paid complete attention to the practical side, life (and I hear we only get to do this once) would be very different. Congrats to you too! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:55 am 
Sierra

Marvin Gardens wrote:
Sierra, congratulations on the decision! I know you'll be pleased.

I'm going out on the lake today for a test ride on the FW358 and will be doing the same w/ the SR340 on Thursday. The major difference being that the 358 is equipped w/ the Crusader 6.0's and the 340 has the 8.1 Merc's. I'm really interested to see the difference between the two since the handling characteristics and weight of the two boats are very similar. Hopefully, I'll have all the info I need at that point.

I'm curious, which engine did you decide to go with?

Thanks Marvin. For now, I'm going with the Volvo inboards. I was sure I wanted the most HP possible, but everybody I have spoken with who has experience with the Volvos has told me that platform is not underpowered for this boat. I'm not worried about the 2mph at the top end. Also, one dealer I went to had no experience with the engines and the dealer I am buying from had problems with the only two boats he ordered with them. Plus I really like Volvo's commitment to R&D and new technology. That said, Crusdaer is a top-notch brand and until the dealer submits the order to the factory, I can change my mind. If you come back after your test today (we expect a full report) and say 'wow! you should reconsider' I may. It sounds like Bill has had great success with his 348/Crusader setup. For me, if the performance difference is not dramatic and my dealer is much more comfortable with one over the other, that holds some weight with me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:49 am 
Sierra

Anyone with a 348/358 not find the standard anchor/windlass sufficient from practical use? I do deal with some strong currnets being on the Hudson River, but the dealer says it will be fine and I'd rather not take on the extra weight of all chain if I don't have to. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:12 pm 

We never had a problem getting a anchor set. We raft up alot. Seems to work just fine for us. But we are on a lake. We have been in some storms with it. And it held just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:48 pm 
wkearney99

Sierra wrote:
Anyone with a 348/358 not find the standard anchor/windlass sufficient from practical use? I do deal with some strong currnets being on the Hudson River, but the dealer says it will be fine and I'd rather not take on the extra weight of all chain if I don't have to. Thanks!

Here on the Chesapeake the standard Delta plow has served us reasonably well. But not all anchors work for all areas. You may want to check with local folks to see if they have strong suggestions otherwise. From what I've read the Delta or Danforth types seem to serve most needs. Those in very rocky or places with a lot of debris may want to consider a wreck anchor (the kind with bendable tines).

Strong current or weight of chain really won't make much difference to the windlass on the 348. You shouldn't be using it to do anything other than just lift the rode and anchor. You should be using the ENGINES to make the line slack during the process. Bow pulpits and anchor rollers are really NOT designed to handle much more than the simple stress of being on a suitable anchor. And make SURE you use the cleat, NOT the windlass, to hold the rode.

There aren't many times an all chain rode will help you. And then you'd be stuck driving all that extra weight around.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:40 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Bill,

When I get my Lewmar windlass installed, it has a pawl that you can engauge to lock the gypsy from spinning (takes the load off the geartrain) if you had that feature would you still just tie off on the cleat? I'm just curious, I don't know if I trust the pawl idea, at least I know when it's tied off, it's correct!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:24 am 
wkearney99

No way I'd ever depend on the windlass pawl to hold things. For two reasons, one being that pawl is probably expensive and a pain in the ass to replace. The other being the safety of the boat itself. I'd much rather depend on a cleat designed to handle the load. Not that a single cleat in the face of a storm would be adequate, but for most situations the cleat would be fine. I'm not at all sure that the bolts holding the windlass to the decking would handle the same load. They "might" but I'm not prepared to put my boat (and insurance coverage) at risk to find out.

I think there's a tendency for folks to cheat a bit and try to get away with just dropping the anchor with the windlass and pretend that's good enough. The windlass and anchor is not like an emergency brake on your car. It really does need paying close attention to it being set properly. And even when it is set properly it still requires being mindful of whether it's still hooked adequately.

Not that any of US are this lazy! Heh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:59 pm 
Sierra

Marvin Gardens wrote:

Marvin - any feedback from your test cruise? Very curious about how it went...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:00 am 

Hello all

My name is Steve and I am in NoVa on the Potomac River. My partner and I went to the DC boat show and fell in love with the FW 358V. We currently own an '06 SR 340 DA with 8.1 V-Drives and have made a deal to trade her in on the 358. Many of the positives about FW are encouraging. SR is not all it is cracked up to be.

We have had many minor issues, and two major ones. Our first SR was an '06 320 with V's and we discovered a hole in her on day 3. How did we find the hole you ask? umm, there was 4 inches of water in the mid-cabin, Our friends called it the "sunken living room." She went back to the dealer who said SR found 3 boats that were drilled wrong in production and guess who got one of them? So they in turn (after major arm twisting) upgraded us to the 340 for only 10k more! Woo Hoo! we never intended to get twofootitis so quickly!

The 340 has had her own troubles too:

The genset went up in smoke last Memorial Day Weekend.
The twelve volt system kept blowing things up. like very expensive chargers, an ipod, etc.
The microwave popped out error codes and had to be replaced.
The analog gauges would zero out while under way (issue still unresolved)
The stereo display went dead. As did the remote one on the helm
The smartcraft diplay module died.
They found a spray can of something rolling around between the helm station and the cabin when I complained about rattling noises.
Leaky lights in the radar arch.
Bad cells in a battery which caused the whole system to drain leaving us stranded a few times before the problem was isolated.
The upgraded MoMo sound system which I think cost 2-4 grand makes popping noises along with static every time there is any surge from the 12 volt system, like flushing the toilet, or turning on the water, or using the windlass. (issue unreolved)
The transom door latch does not easily find its hole, you kinda have to push down on the door to get it to latch. (they have tried 2-3 times to correct that)

Mind you that the dealership is one of the top rated in the world. It is called an Ambassador dealership known for its quality work and high satisfaction scores. I beg to differ, every problem we addressed would always be met with "Never saw that on a Sea Ray" or, some other comment that would lead us to believe that they thought we created these issues.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. And we have always been courteous and professional with these folks as they have with us but enough is enough.

That is why we think we are changing our boat name to "Better Luck"

As for the 358 V which this thread is about, I am pleased to see so many people who were in a SR or have compared FW to SR. When we got the 340 we really did not have a choice to shop that size boat as I explained and had we seen the 358, we may have chosen her instead.

Our boat is being prepped as we speak and we hope to take delivery in the next couple of weeks.

I would be curious to know what owners of the 348/358 equipped with Mercs have done to replicate the Smartcraft info. I too like the functionality of the system and will sorely miss that feature, especially the fuel calculations, flow, gph, range, etc.

I am looking into replacing the FW tachometers with Smartcraft gauges or buying the SC1000 units and having them installed.

Does anyone know if the c80 Raymarine setup which in the brochure says it has a depth sounder actually functions as depth gauge with an alarm system also? Our river is not that deep and we really could use that function.

Sorry for droning on and on but there you have it.........! :lol:

2006 Sea Ray 320DA
    2005 Maxum 3100 SE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:02 am 
Sierra

Better Luck indeed! Wow - what a story. First of all, welcome. We have all heard of lemons before but it sounds like you got the whole grove! If you have read this thread then you know my story and that of the others who had the 340DA as their leading choice in the class - until discovering the V358. And now that they have uncovered the 350DA I can say with great confidence that I'm glad I didn't wait.

I was also a fan of the functionality of the Smartcraft system, particularly for the fuel flow data. As you may have seen me mention, I'll be installing a Raymarine ST70 multi-function display and fuel flow senders to give the data a place to be viewed other than on just the E80. I believe it will accomplish enough of what I'm hoping and doubt I'll miss Smartcraft. Bill K. has had great success with his fuel-flow monitoring system as well as many other projects on his 348 and has been/hopefully will continue to be a wealth of experience-based information.

Would love to hear what color/options you're getting, and of course, see pictures when you have them. There are a number of new 358 owners on the board getting ready for their first season - it will be interesting to compare our experiences. It will also be very interesting to hear a first-hand assessment of someone who has owned both the 340DA and the V358 as it is rare that someone makes a lateral size move.

My 358 has arrived safely at the dealership and I'm looking forward to seeing her under shrink-wrap in the next week or so. I'll also be meeting with their electronics guru about my projects, including a large flat panel for the bulkhead on a pivoting mount, and will report back what I hear.

There is also another thread dedicated to the 348/358's under Vista on this forum well worth checking out if you haven't already.

Congrats on your new baby, and again - Better Luck!

Last edited by Sierra on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm 
Dolphin

I bought an '07 358 before last season after having a lease share on an '04 340 DA previously. I went with VP power but had the same concerns about not having smartcraft. As a result I decided to have a fuel flow system installed by the dealer before I took delivery of the boat. I went with the Navman system though if I had it to do over again I would do the lowrance system. Their gauges look better, have more functionality, fit in standard holes and are nmea 2000 compliant. As I said the system works well but there is not nearly the level of integration smartcraft gives you. You can't see all the engine info smartcraft shows, like RPM sync, steering position, etc. Also, even with the fuel system you don't get the benefit of full integration, for instance if you refuel with the fuel system you have to tell it you refueled vs. the smartcraft with tank sensors just knowing.

Other than that fairly minor issue, which may well be tackled by using the nmea outputs on your engines (if the 6.2s support it) I think you will e extremely happy with boat. There are so many design issues I think are much better handled on the FW than the SR (walk-thru windshield, port side lounge, shower stall, etc) that it was a very easy decision for me. I haven't regretted it for a moment. I think you'll be very happy with your new boat. Please tell us all about what you picked.

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:41 am 

Thank you all for the well wishes. My dealer here in VA is a brand-new FW dealer, this delivery is likely his first cruiser or even first FW delivery. He has sold Monterey boats for years, so he has experinece. I am actually taking a sea trial today at noon-time, hope it warms up a touch, right now it is at the freexing mark supposed to warm up to the mid-50's.
The unfortunate thing about Smartcraft integration is the cost of the components. The new color systems view screen is 1500 bucks just for the part. Plus, it will never have the full intergration it could have if installed from the factory. According to Dave, my dealer, Raymarine and Merc equipment are not comaptible for integration purposes so using the c80 system is out. We are as I said, going with the sc1000 displays mounting them just above the Fireboy and fume detector to the left of the main dash.

As far as equipment, we did not have the luxury of ordering our boat, this one was at the boat show last weekend and actually it is close to what I would have ordered. I doubt I would have gotten the VP engines just because I have been a merc man my whole boating life which is tipping the 40 year mark (some of the time was a kid though) but as an adult I have purchased Mercs always.

So here is the list:
Gulfstream Blue interior/ Two tone w/Navy hull
Twin MC 6.2 Seacore Bravo III w/ DTS 320hp
Sun pad for the bow
Cockpit Flat panel TV
Cockpit pillows
Cockpit cover
Cockpit fridge
Nav Package with the C80 and VHF radio
Stern remote for stereo
Aft cabin TV/DVD
Teak and Holly floor
Rod holders to be installed by dealer
Gas grill and mounting to be installed by dealer
1st winterization included w/ shrink wrap
Boat slip paid for 1st year at MY marina included
Bottom paint included
Winter storage and spring launch included
Boat lettering
Fourwinns Tee shirts and Jackets
Full tank of fuel

I think that is the list of options and stuff thrown in to make the deal.

Here's what I don't have: This hull was built in December and was too early to get the collapsable radar arch, and the wood blinds in the cabin were also deleted. BTW, the curtains that cover the portlights in the V-berth are one panel each and barely cover the window, I have mentioned that to Dave and he is going to address that with FW. If you are laying in bed, you will be able to see right through the window and allow light to shine in. Also, the window above the microwave does not seem to be a funtional one, does anyone have this same issue or is it just not supposed to open?

Things I am looking forward to about the FW vs the SR: Separate shower, Screen door in a big big way, more powerful a/c, gorgeous interior and cockpit layout (although we did enjoy the "helm-like seat" on the port side of the SR), bedding that fits the bed because it is custom and included!,extra fridge in cockpit, comfy looking sofa in the cabin, light switches at the stern entrance, magnetic hold on the transom door. Included in price camper canvas, (we spent 6500K last year) SR does not offer it on the 340. Walk-thru windshield and or walk-around, electric helm seat which is double wide, SR is two seats next to each other. This will be cozier for me and the dog!

What I already know I wont like: Not having fuel fillers on both sides of the boat for both tanks, fresh water fill near the bow on the wrong side of the boat for my slip! Lack of Smart-craft, less storage space than the SR. I was on my SR yesterday with Dave to review the trade-in and that boat does have way, way more storage space. It also has a bigger galley than the FW but of course the trade off is the separate shower in the FW, the space had to come from somewhere.
Lack of stern storage for shore cords and fenders. The space is small back there comparitively speaking.

But perhaps the thing I will miss the least and this is the biggie, is reliability of the craft. Or I should say, lack of reliablity.

2006 Sea Ray 320DA
    2005 Maxum 3100 SE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:08 am 
Dolphin

Fellow Vista Owners,

Regarding engine data interfaces, I had contacted VP (by email) and received the following response to my question, "what type of interface and what is commercially available ?" I have twin VP 5.0GXi's and I have seen the amount of data available from the GM computer via a technician analyzer. Here is the responses from VP tech group:

- they are not NEMA compliant
- A scan tool such as Diacom or VP 2000 will give fuel consumption while the engine is running. The only other choice is to install a flow-scan on the fuel system, however, this is not recommended. (this answer was given after I mentioned to them that the marina tech had shown me GPH fuel usage, temp, etc. with just a scan tool connected to the engine ECM).
- The flow-scan will make problems if the correct fuel line or filter size is not selected. The same size line feeding the Volvo Penta water/fuel filter must be used. The communication method & protocol is SCI Transmit . No other method is used.

In summary, I have been searching for months for a solution that interfaces directly with the engine's ECM with no luck. It is VERY hard to believe that a product like VP distributed worldwide does not have a solution (by VP or after market). I like many others would love to have a console display to provide this information.

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next