www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

ric wrote:
You can't even hear my eu2000i over people talking. I tie it off to the bow of the boat with the exhaust facing away from everyone.

Shame that USD 900 price for the EU2000 translates to £900, almost USD 1500) here before 20% tax ( so about double the price !). Boaters tend to use the cheaper Kipor ones instead, slightly more noisy ( but still quiet). The only time I've seen/ heard a EU2000i running close quarters was at a charity event, impressively quiet ; I was checking entry tickets with the "assistance" of ex soldiers at the estate of the richest man in the UK who owns much of central London !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 pm 
Dolphin

ric wrote:
You can't even hear my eu2000i over people talking. I tie it off to the bow of the boat with the exhaust facing away from everyone.

When watching a movie in the cockpit and the Honda in Eco mode for power and battery charging, we often forget it is even on. Every swim platform seems to have a sweet spot where vibration is minimized. A bonus for portable power like the Honda is the ability to direct the exhaust - nothing worse than one or both boats tied up together and sending exhaust fumes at the small space shared by the vessels.

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:16 pm 

In order to keep this info in one spot I hope the OP doesn't mind if I ask a couple questions of the group.

Has anyone added an outlet to the rear storage to plug the inverter into or does everyone drape the shore power cord around to the side? Would a male/male extension cord and a 20amp 110v outlet work tied into the outlet breaker in the ac panel?

What's the safest way to transport a small can of gas in the rear storage to fill the gen.?(or what's the best can to use?)

Thanks!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 pm 

Dude. The Four Winns (Igloo 36 qt) cooler for the 268 is approximately 22 " long, 13.5" wide, and 13" high. The Honda EU2000I is about 20" long, 11" wide, and 17" high. If you could get the generator on to that shelf it might take some creative maneuvering because of its height. Tying it down may also take a bit of creativity.

I have just been just laying the cord on the floor when using the generator. The generator sits on the middle of the swim platform unless it is raining. Then I might put the generator in the walkway/doorway at the back of the boat to keep the electrical end of the generator dry. I towels, noodles, or whatever is available to close up the opening around the generator, and position the boat top canvas so it will not get burned by the exhaust.

I thought about adding another shore power outlet in the rear storage area, but have not for a few reasons. If an additional shore power outlet is added, steps should be taken so the electrical connections in the unused outlet are not hot when 110 volt power is coming from shore power, a generator, or an inverter. You could install another transfer switch or maybe a manually operated switch to select the source of power. I have a wash down hose and nozzle in that compartment and am concerned with water and electricity interactions.

I do put a 2.5 gallon plastic gas can in the compartment with the generator and misc cords and lines, etc. The gas can and generator fit reasonably well. I just make sure the gas can doesn't tip over or balloon too much when the weather warms up.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:00 pm 

I fit my EU2000i under my sink, along with my magma grill (where the factory cooler went). If on a 21ft cuddy cabin I have room, I'm quite sure there's a few places to store one on a 268.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:05 am 

Bliss36 wrote:
In order to keep this info in one spot I hope the OP doesn't mind if I ask a couple questions of the group.

Has anyone added an outlet to the rear storage to plug the inverter into or does everyone drape the shore power cord around to the side? Would a male/male extension cord and a 20amp 110v outlet work tied into the outlet breaker in the ac panel?

What's the safest way to transport a small can of gas in the rear storage to fill the gen.?(or what's the best can to use?)

Thanks!

I have thought about this, but have not added the outlet back there yet. I would not do the Male/male extension though. I am assuming you are referring to back feeding the AC panel by one of the convenience receptacles with that? If so, there would be the danger of it being removed and the generator still running, producing a live exposed end. I drape my shore power cord, and that works just fine for now.

As for the fuel can, I have a friend that uses the pontoon type can and has a hose that hooks to the top of the honda gas cap. It siphons gas through the container and gives him a solid 24-36 hour run time. He stores everything in the rear locker. I keep min simplified, just storing a sealed gas can in the rear locker with the honda. I have had no issues with it and have been boarded twice. I discussed this with the SWP and they indicated that it was fine as long as the gas can was completely sealed. If there is another safety concern with doing this, I would be interested to hear.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 am 
Livin' the Dream

YYZ-RC wrote:
Bringing this thread back...

Everyone in the boating world seems amped about the Honda. Is there a reason not to go with another brand? I understand that pure sine wave inverter tech is necessary, but there are some decent deals out there on other brands that claim to be pure sine.

Also, is 2000W sufficient to run A/C and some other niceties?

For example, this Firman 3000W is heavy but has lots of features: https://www.amazon.com/Firman-Generator ... +generator

I'm not down on the Honda, just want to understand what the fuss is about!

I owned my Honda 2000w before my 268, but what sets it apart is size, weight, quiet. Remember for every 3 dB it's twice as loud.... the size, it fits perfect in the aft storage compartment. Weight. It's easy for one person to maneuver. Unless you are dying to run the microwave and stove at the same time, I feel 2000 watts is plenty of power. I dont think people just love the Honda 2000, I think it just works best for the 268....

I am always jealous that JSimon installed one for $4K plus his labor... I would have to eliminate one of my waste tanks, install a new fresh water tank in that location (under the aft cabin). That would allow me to install the genny in the factory location.... It sure would be handy

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp