www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:41 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Hey Gang,

Radioshack has a nice, small, waterproof, powered HD OTA antenna I was going to get and mount up on the bow of the boat and wire in. I have the oem installled 15" Sharp Aquos LCD in the cabin. Do I need an HD Tuner to use with the antenna? I haven't looked into it, but it's doubtful that the monitor has an HD tuner in it. Do you think it would even be worth the time to do this? I've never used an HD ota antenna and I am not sure if it would even pull anything in. I don't get SQUAT on the antenna that is in there now, which makes the "TV" useless unless you are watching DVD's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:40 am 
email admin your custom rank

Brett,

Is that OEM on your boat HD-Ready? If it isn't then it is not worth going any further on the subject. It won't work.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:01 pm 
Goldfish

Brett,

I just mounted a 23 inch Samsung on my radar arch and am using a high def. antenna. If your tv is not set up with an internal receiver for the high def you will have to hook up an external one. I think they cost about $200, not worth it in my opinion. I would just buy a new TV as most all have this feature included now. I watch football every weekend on the Misissippi with great picture quality now. With high def you either have a signal or don't so there is no snowy picture to worry about, crystal clear every time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:43 pm 
wkearney99

Bear in mind HD TV does not require any sort of "special" antenna. Any old TV antenna will suffice, don't fall prey to hype and end up paying too much and not getting anything for it.

Our Aquos 15" has component input. I'm guessing I'd have to add an external HD to component tuner to receive HD stations. Given how infrequently we watch anything on broadcast TV this is a VERY, VERY LOW priority. I find it's less hassle to just bring a couple of Netflix movies along. I've dumped a few Tivo-recorded programs to DVDs but usually don't end up watching them on the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:48 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Well I guess if it's going to be that big of a pain in the rear to do the HD OTA thing, perhaps a normal Shakespear amplified antenna will help out, I dunno.

It's certainly not "high" on the priority list, Flexiteek and Arch and Dinghy are next!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:06 am 
wkearney99

Yes, the normal shakespeare amplified antenna will do the job. That and it's designed for use on a boat. How "well" it'll work depends largely on the available signals in the area. TV reception on the water or in marinas is never known to be all that great, HD or otherwise.

As we get closer to the cut-off date for NTSC stations I'm sure more converter boxes will start to appear. Clarion already makes an NTSC tuner that integrates with the CE-Net buss on the XMD and CMD head units. I'd imagine they'll come up with an HD capable one at some point too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Brett,

Where would you mount the Shakespeare antenna? Good excuse to get that arch? :mrgreen:

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:38 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Walt,

Pretty much! :)

Or a good excuse to get a 458........ :shock: