www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:48 am 
Shark

Thought i'd best start a rebuild thread for my Vista, been long enough.

"Cloudy Bay" was bought in November and I have been busy on it pretty much constantly since. Everything seems to have a limited timescale in my life so i'm flat out trying to get things moving and sorted.

There was a rush to get the engine running before Christmas so i could get it out of the Marina without further charges, this was done in mid December. I've given it a full service and tune up and also replaced the HP fuel pump, seems to be running ok now - bar a small oil leak which i've yet to trace and sort.
On Jan 8th she was lifted out of the water and i had around a month to get things sorted. I'll probably overrun by a week or two as the weather here in the UK has been constant rain and wind for the last 3 weeks or so, bar the odd day or so i've struggled with the weather.

Forgive the poor iphone pictures, i know they're not the best but will hopefully show what i'm trying to achieve - i bought the boat really cheap and couldn't say no - knowing it needed work and had been neglected. I'm pretty hands on and do everything myself, from the engine to polishing to upholstery.

So, this is her:

And now in her temporary new home:

We're saltwater over here, so a bit of growth on the drive(!) must've been a while since last cleaning/antifouling had been done:

The tonneau cover on the boat is very tatty and probably the original, as it's stretched really badly. it's patches over patches and rips all over the place so i'm going to make a new one. need to get this sorted before the seats as it leaks like a sieve!
Best way i've found is to make templates of the windscreen/boat etc. out of heavy gauge builders polythene and then transfer these to the material. I've always used Sunbrella plus and definitely rate it - so bought some and got to work. Template made and being transfered:

Main piece cut out.

I had to do two seams rather than one central one as i've only a standard arm machine, not a long arm one - i wouldn't have got the fabric through otherwise! It won't make a difference, anyway. I'll post more pics on this soon....

Next, the seats came out. all were absolutely shot to bits, with all of the plywood cores rotten and needing replacement too.

Front seat backrest and insert. Wet to the core:

Inserts:

Two triangle covers for the mechanism:

Corroded Brackets:

Ruined Fabric:

New piece started:

The base of the front seat wasn't much better!

Staples removed - simply incredible amount of them too, if anyone's ever done this!!

Same story as the backrest, soaked, rotting ply, fixings started to pull through the ply too.

Base started, old vs. New:

Back seats are the best though. Looks tired enough:

Yet thousands more staples removed:

Falling apart in my hands:

I've actually finished stitching the front seat and backrest now, and half finished the base of the rear seats. I opted for Off-white (Like a soft creamy colour) Nautolex fabric with Cinder Grey for the inserts and piping - and wanted to keep the design the same as i quite like the FW stitching/pattern on the seats.
The Tonneau cover is half made now, and i've Power washed/Antifouled the hull and started polishing.

Thought i'd get the worst pics out the way first, ha ha. The next to follow will be nice, as they'll be of the restitched seats and things starting to look nicer :D 8)

One thing to ask though, does anyone know of anywhere that i can get replacement silver name badges for the back? These ones here:

As they're looking very tired. Great Lakes Skipper has the "Four" and the logo listed on ebay, but not the "Winns"!! I can't seem to get them replated in the UK either... :?

Will post more pics soon. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:34 am 
email admin your custom rank

Repairs and TLC? That's an understatement.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 am 
Shark

Depends how you look at it, i guess.
But thanks - i like a project... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 am 

Jsyphil wrote:
Depends how you look at it, i guess.
But thanks - i like a project... :lol:

If the price is right, looks like a fun hobby!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:03 am 
Shark

Cheers Ric. Keeps me out of trouble. Bar the lifting out and putting it on blocks, i'll do everything myself so i guess labour is FOC and i'm only paying for materials.
Bought her for under $6k so fairly cheap (i think/hope!). and in the summer the hobby will be using it - keeping my time free When we have good weather :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:20 pm 

This is great work, I will be following this thread closely, please keep posting info and pictures! I have seen the Four Winns badge for sale on e-bay several times (of course I just looked today and found none, but it might be worth checking.

Good Luck, Cheers mate!

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:37 pm 

Since you're buying I would get some FW badges from the late 2000s. Looks more modern. I know on my Chaparral if I ever get around to it I'm swapping them out for the newer stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 am 
Shark

Good thinking Ric, hadn't thought of that. I'll have to have a look. Any ideas or suggestions as to where i can buy that sort of thing? Haven't a clue if there are any parts distributors in the UK or not!

Cheers Chris, got my work cut out mate - but have only a couple of weeks to get the outside sorted before it gets put back into the water....! full time on it evenings and weekends but I'm getting there.... :?

Anyhow - time for some (slightly) nicer pictures.

I took the frame for the heads out (no pics) and also the frame for the cabin out too as on both slight corrosion had caused flakey paint, wasn't urgent or anything but i thought i may as well take them out and get them up to the powdercoaters - they were doing my front seat brackets also. The main black frame was a nightmare to take out - it's sealed down with tape and also a waterproof mastic (sikaflex i think) but after a bit of work, it was out. Old frame:

Flakey paint:

Also took the brackets from the rear seat and the throttle lever to be re powdercoated:

Rear seat half stitched:

And the front one finished, ready to fit to the foam/base:

Detail on the stitching/piping:

New seat back cut from 3/4" Marine ply and shiny, newly powdercoated brackets:

Tonight, with any luck - start to put the foam/fabric on and assemble. More soon... :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:41 am 
Shark

Two pics of the Outdrive now powerwashed, and of the Antifouling, kindly applied by the mrs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:13 pm 

You're doing a great job there. Love to see the nice new wood backing the fabric
Its good that its marine ply, but are you coating with epoxy or a thinned epoxy for rot resistance? Here in the US marine ply is stronger but not more rot resistant than regular exterior ply. So if using either regular ext ply, or marine ply, we would coat it with either a thinned epoxy or regular epoxy. The other option is to use pressure treated wood.
One more thing.
The amount of growth on that drive (exactly what we get here in one season, if left in for 6 months) would suggest to me that the drive should be removed, the upper and lower units split and the water passage above the water intake holes should be cleaned out and painted with with anti fouling. You will get marine growth in there and it will cause a low raw water volume condition that will cause overheating. I do this to mine about every 3rd year. I use OMC/Bombardier gasket sealer on all the bolts that hold the drive together, AKA Permatex Aviation Sealer. You need to pull the drive anyway to check the bellows, gimble bearing and u joints. Regular maintenance.
I pull my boat out mid season and clean and re-paint the drive as needed.
That avoids having it look like that by October.
And the blue anti-fouling on the boat, that is also on the transom mount, is it copper based? Because if so you need to get it off of that aluminum transom mount or else you will get corrosion. If not copper based then no worries...

here's what I rigged up to pry the upper off of the lower...this is an OMC Cobra but the same system will work on a Volvo...a piece of all thread through the trim ram rod and 2 half in bolts in the lower mounting holes. Then I put a scissor jack under each side of the all thread and under the 2 bolts on the lower mounts. Crank evenly and it just pops off. This thing was not coming apart by any other method, took me a day of thinking to dream this up....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbiqnmzm0zmlt ... 5.jpg?dl=0

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:26 pm 

Looks like it's been a while since that out drive had its last shave... Looks much better.

You are certainly the right person to have purchased that boat. I would have walked away simply based on the cost of having someone reupholster the seats. Good for you to capitalize on the opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:58 pm 

Looking good and your doing great work, but I have to admit I'm a little worried about the mechanical side of things if this is how the boat was taken care of. Best of luck to you..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:16 am 
Shark

Lou, thanks for the input, and also the info on splitting the drive, that's really useful stuff.

I'm taking it off this weekend, along with the trim rams as they're leaking slightly and i've a new seal kit to fit to them.
I knew there was a possibility that there would be growth inside (hey, if it's outside, it's gotta be inside too, eh?) - but hadn't thought as far as how to sort so the info on splitting the drive will come in handy as that's one thing i haven't done before...
Removing the drive from the boat is straightforward maintenance as you say and i'm keen for all that. The first time i did it to grease U-joints and change a gimball on my other boat was an eye-opener to how straightforward it actually is, 6 bolts, a shifter and half an hour? no reason not to do every year or pay someone silly amounts to do!

I've new bellows, new anodes and a grease gun ready - also going to change the Hydraulic lines to the trim cylinders as one has rubbing marks on and as it happens i've a new set at home in the shed. Also the Trim cylinder seals as mentioned. I'll take the drive off on Saturday and take it to my shed to sort next week in the evenings. I've ordered some of that permatex stuff you mentioned, not heard of it before but after a google it looks like good stuff and i'm sure will come in handy elsewhere too. Once done and back on (Next weekend) i'll repaint too to make it look nicer!

As for the Ply, yes - Marine grade is pretty much the same over here - although one thing i noticed is although everyone calls it '3/4" Ply', it isn't really 3/4", but 18mm - the brackets aren't as tight on as the original! However it'll be fine though.
I have Epoxy at home ready to do just what you said, so great minds think alike :)
For the time it takes it would be silly not to - i'm certainly not keen to do this more than once!! I'll do it at the weekend, then i can do all the bits including the back seat at the same time. I screwed the back of the front seat together yesterday (it has two small bits at the bottom) and checked all was ok so that's ready to do now too.

As for the Antifoul, you've eagle eyes!!! :lol: Do you know, the second coat was applied by my Girlfriend last weekend whilst i started polishing with a buffer. When done i mentioned about painting the bracket and she said that "I thought i'd just do it, i did it up to the line, as it looks nicer!" :lol: I didn't argue or say anything, as that would mean she won't want to help next year! But yes, it will come off and be replaced with the correct coating next weekend along with the rest of the drive...

Thanks for taking the time to write though, really helpful and i do appreciate it.

Alex, thanks mate. Well the attraction to me was the fact of the price and knowing i could get things done myself. My Girlfriend is on a Uni course until June, so i have lots of time on my hands too, so i didn't mind putting the hours in. I wouldn't say it too loudly, but i do quite enjoy the upholstery! beats polishing anyday :)

Rick, thanks - yes i know, i was the same!
but.... i do have a receipt for a new block and full rebuild of both the engine and outdrive/transom plate in 2008, so know although neglected that there can't be too many hours on it. I've had the engine running now and feel much better knowing it runs! Once the Outdrive is sorted i'll feel lots better as you're right, it has had a hard life :?
I found it absolutely crazy that the people i bought her from had paid almost double the price (i paid for the boat) on getting the engine/drive work done in 2008!!! i just don't understand how you could leave an asset to deteriorate like they did with this boat.

Cheers for the replies chaps. More soon...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:43 am 
Shark

Two days solidly buffing at the weekend, and she's looking slightly better, and lots shinier. Decals removed:

Hull Shining in the sun:

New Thru-hulls fitted (Old ones were oxidised and crumbly):

New vents needed too - the next job when i can get a hand from someone!

More soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:02 pm 

Wow she's really coming together, and I for one am shocked at how fast! Very impressive my friend. Looking forward to seeing what you do with those vents as mine need replaced as well.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi