www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:30 pm 
Minnow

I need some help figuring out this whole process. All of my drains or vents on the outside of the boat are very brittle and basically would come off if you picked at them. They are made of plastic. I bought the boat last year from a gentleman who let it sit outside for two years so it needs some TLC. I do not know how to get the fittings out or how to access them if I have to from the inside. Below are pictures of the ones that need replacing. What is the proper term and function for these? There is also one up close to the bow.

Starboard side with head

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:33 pm 
Goldfish

All thru hull fittings should have a bead of silicone around the inside of the flange and covering the hole. Then a nut is installed on the back side and tightened by holding the hose barb while tightening.
You will need to locate the thru hull on the inside of the boat, remove the hose, remove the nut, push out the fitting, clean, install silicone to seal, install thru hull, go inside the boat and tighten, install hose.

Not hard but time consuming getting to some of them.

I would recommend replacing with chrome ones unless your in salt water.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:46 pm 
Minnow

278TheNiseeII wrote:
All thru hull fittings should have a bead of silicone around the inside of the flange and covering the hole. Then a nut is installed on the back side and tightened by holding the hose barb while tightening.
You will need to locate the thru hull on the inside of the boat, remove the hose, remove the nut, push out the fitting, clean, install silicone to seal, install thru hull, go inside the boat and tighten, install hose.

Not hard but time consuming getting to some of them.

I would recommend replacing with chrome ones unless your in salt water.

Thank you very much for the reply! I am trying to find them but from the inside but I am not having much luck. Will this involve taking headliner and cabinets off of the walls in the cabin?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Starboard side with head?

One is probably a vent. Look for a hose coming from the holding tank or macerator if you have one.
One is most likely coming from the sink and drains directly overboard.Look under the sink and follow the drain
The other is probably from the shower sump in the bilge.

Replace them with stainless (Preferably) or brass ones that are chromed. No more plastic

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:07 pm 
Minnow

Thalasso wrote:

One is probably a vent. Look for a hose coming from the holding tank or macerator if you have one.
One is most likely coming from the sink and drains directly overboard.Look under the sink and follow the drain

Replace them with stainless (Preferably) or brass ones that are chromed. No more plastic

Yes def. no more plastic! I think now looking at the manual i have an idea how to get to them. I just nervous about not getting a good enough seal!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:16 pm 

cjstrausser wrote:
Thalasso wrote:

Yes def. no more plastic! I think now looking at the manual i have an idea how to get to them. I just nervous about not getting a good enough seal!

Use 3M-4200. No more worries

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:30 am 

I just replaced all three of mine. they looked just like yours. I found the best price was Amazon, and I opted for the black with stainless. the image shows a black cover but the description says stainless and that is what I received.
Attwood Corporation 66419-3 90 Degree P-Trap Fuel Tank Vent $10.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001YXO148?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02
I was able to access two of them through the hole in the hull when I removed the speaker. The other one (for the head) I removed the vhf radio box.
They were very easy to replace, loosened the hose clamp holding the hose on the p-trap, then unscrewed the old one, cleaned up the old sealant. Then put the hose on the new one and some 5200 and screwed the outer part in. I would advise removing the cap by using a flat-tip screwdriver and take it all the way off then just put the inner part through. Hand tighten the insert into the trap (you need two people for this as you can't hold both sides) then put the cap back on and tighten it down gently with a flat tip.

Hope that helps!

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:19 am 
Minnow

LVChris wrote:
I just replaced all three of mine. they looked just like yours. I found the best price was Amazon, and I opted for the black with stainless. the image shows a black cover but the description says stainless and that is what I received.
Attwood Corporation 66419-3 90 Degree P-Trap Fuel Tank Vent $10.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001YXO148?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02
I was able to access two of them through the hole in the hull when I removed the speaker. The other one (for the head) I removed the vhf radio box.
They were very easy to replace, loosened the hose clamp holding the hose on the p-trap, then unscrewed the old one, cleaned up the old sealant. Then put the hose on the new one and some 5200 and screwed the outer part in. I would advise removing the cap by using a flat-tip screwdriver and take it all the way off then just put the inner part through. Hand tighten the insert into the trap (you need two people for this as you can't hold both sides) then put the cap back on and tighten it down gently with a flat tip.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! That does really help! I am going to take some things apart today and see what I can find. Hopefully it all goes well. Could those being damaged be a cause for water to leak into the cabin when it rains?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:45 am 

Sun wreaks havoc on plastic

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 pm 

Quote:
Thank you! That does really help! I am going to take some things apart today and see what I can find. Hopefully it all goes well. Could those being damaged be a cause for water to leak into the cabin when it rains?

No the two rear ones are for the Fuel and the fresh water tank. Both are connected to hoses inside the hull. The front one is connected to a hose that goes into the head, no real way to leak into the cabin. Where are you seeing water?

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:30 pm 
Minnow

LVChris wrote:
Quote:

No the two rear ones are for the Fuel and the fresh water tank. Both are connected to hoses inside the hull. The front one is connected to a hose that goes into the head, no real way to leak into the cabin. Where are you seeing water?

Okay just wondering if it could contribute or not. I get water under my windows and around my hatch when it rains also my aft bunk as well. My windows are in need of re bedding I believe.