www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: V348/V358 Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 pm 
Sierra

mkivbren wrote:
I did the software update last september but I didn't pull the plotter or anything. Can you point me towards that info? Didn't know that was part of the procedure, the software successfully updated. I used a compact flash card that Ray sent me.

I do have a new E80 faceplate sitting here and haven't looked into installing it yet. If you remove your E80 can you note what would be remove to swap a new faceplate? I had some hairline cracks in mine when I bought the boat.

The info on the software upgrade and the downloadable software can be found here. Raymarine recommends upgrading the DSM when you upgrade the E80 for full compatibility. Sounds like it's not a must-do, though. The reason behind pulling the unit out of the dash is to get access to the DSM in order to power it down independently of the E80, which needs to remain on, to effect the update.

Bill has suggested using an upholsterer's tool to pull the faceplate which I plan on trying. I have used a screwdriver through a cloth in the past and it hasn't been easy or pretty. Once the faceplate is off the unit comes out easily by removing the screws. Tilt your wheel all the way down, lay a towel on the top of the column and the display will rest easily there if you need to get behind the dash. Your new faceplate should snap right on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:18 pm 
AGE < LOA

I guess they had mentioned they were sending me the update before it had been available on their site. Funny they never mentioned anything about the sounder. I guess I'll go ahead and do it while I'm in there. The E80 update was positive; it didn't crash again after the update.. Thanks!

On a side note, did you guys also experience the satellite doppler radar taking forever to DL and plot? I couldn't believe how long it took. Since I almost always have a cell signal, I'm not sure I'll get it again this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:37 am 
wkearney99

I'm guessing you mean the sirius weather data? Yes, it does take a while for it's initial download. I make it a habit to turn on the charplotter first thing. Either right when we get to the boat or the first thing when we wake up while on the hook. I suppose I could wire up the sirius unit on it's own power switch. I think the data is collected in the module itself, not the chartplotter (but I've never tested this idea).

And if anyone's thinking of adding the weather module, shakespeare makes a splitter that will let you share the same antenna for the sat radio. No need to install two antennas. It's not just a simple splitter as the antenna is powered. The shakespeare widget manages the power appropriately (but is not itself powered). The kit contains everything necessary. Works nicely with my weather module and clarion radio module.

There's a way to use the raymarine satellite module for audio but the interface for it is a bit clunky. That and since it's a separate radio would require it's own subscription. Even if I didn't have sat radio already I'd still get the radio-integrated module instead of using the radio part of the raymarine unit. I prefer using the radio to control the stations instead of punching through all the raymarine menus (or having passengers dicking around with it).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 am 
Sierra

mkivbren wrote:
did you guys also experience the satellite doppler radar taking forever to DL and plot? I couldn't believe how long it took. Since I almost always have a cell signal, I'm not sure I'll get it again this year.

+1 on it taking a while for that initial connection/download. I typically do not use Sirius Weather for pre-trip planning since the info online and on my iPhone is immediate and more comprehensive. The reason I hang onto it and encourage others to do so is for the warnings and accessibility of info while underway. I believe it is a lot less distracting to hit two buttons while underway than to call up radar/wx info on the relatively small screen of my iPhone. A weatherbox warning I received out of the blue on one trip made the subscription cost instantly worthwhile. As I have the E80 feeding the my salon TV, I also typically leave the wx page up as I am prepping for departure allowing me to have the current radar there at a glance. But as mentioned, it just requires powering the system up a bit in advance. It is really a tool for added situational awareness that I believe maintains its value despite the other available sources for weather information. And at $180 for the season, it's really a drop in the bucket.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 am 
Sierra

With 75 degrees and sunshine yesterday in the Northeast, it was impossible to stay away. I can hardly believed that I stayed off the boat all winter, but while the shrink-wrapper installed a door, they neglected to open the wrap beneath the door so I chose to leave things perfectly sealed... until now. It's always a kick getting back on board after things have been left in suspended animation. Nothing to do except change out the Damp Rid in the cabin and discover that the pair of flip flops I was sure I left on board weren't there. By the way, have all of you bottled beer drinkers discovered Reefs with the built in opener? I've been wearing them for years now and wouldn't live without them. But I digress...

I did discover a stupid mistake made by whoever wrapped the boat. For some reason, they decided to disconnect the TV antenna but didn't remove it from its post. Any surprise this happened when they wrapped tightly over it?

Image Image

We'll just call it a $110 error in judgement.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:24 am 
All Night Long

Could it be a new 'feature?' -- does the tilting get you a better signal? :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:42 am 
Sierra

cougarcruiser wrote:
Could it be a new 'feature?' -- does the tilting get you a better signal? :D

Yeah - I should probably wait & see before I have it replaced. We could be onto something! Cool new mod of the week 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:29 pm 
AGE < LOA

Awe man... If I'm in your area next fall, allow me to shrinkwrap your boat. I thought they lowered your arch this year. Nice thing about lowering it, none of the appurtenances make contact with the wrap.

As for the reefs... shhhhh, let's keep that quite. I have a few hotties that are fascinated that I can pop open a beer using my flip flop :mrgreen: I tell them it's my special talent :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:25 am 
Sierra

mkivbren wrote:
Awe man... If I'm in your area next fall, allow me to shrinkwrap your boat. I thought they lowered your arch this year. Nice thing about lowering it, none of the appurtenances make contact with the wrap.

I will happily allow you to wrap my boat! I don't lower the arch because I do like to be able to easily stand up thoughout the cockpit if when I visit over the winter and I actually trust it a bit more in my area to better avoid a snow-load with the steeper slope.
Quote:
As for the reefs... shhhhh, let's keep that quite. I have a few hotties that are fascinated that I can pop open a beer using my flip flop :mrgreen: I tell them it's my special talent.

Reefs? Who said anything about Reefs? Never heard of em' :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:26 am 
Clownfish

A long, twisted path of troubleshooting has finally revealed the sources of the mystery bilge water accumulation. Because it only happened periodically, it took several attempts to isolate and locate the water source - BOTH I/O Drive transom brackets leaked. The Four Winns Dealer (Riverside in Essex, MD) got Four Winns to cover under warranty - Yeah! Ended up pulling both engines and outdrives. Flat edge across the transom exterior identified it to be "wavey". Over the winter, they had a glass shop building up about a 1/4 inch of glass to "smooth" the transom. Drives were re-installed and boat placed in the water to ensure no leakage. Engines going back in next week for a hopeful pick-up on April 24th!

Hope this is helpful to anyone experiencing mystery leakage. Still no explanation on why it only leaked periodical and ranged from a few drops to pencil sized streams of water. All other outdrive components (bellows, hoses, etc.) were pristine.

2007 Vista 358

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:15 pm 
AGE < LOA

I wonder if Riverside letting their display boat's (big vistas) outdrives sink into the macadam could have something to do with that :o Probably not but made me that much more apprehensive to buy from them when I was looking. Glad you got it solved!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:30 pm 
wkearney99

mkivbren wrote:
I wonder if Riverside letting their display boat's (big vistas) outdrives sink into the macadam could have something to do with that :o Probably not but made me that much more apprehensive to buy from them when I was looking. Glad you got it solved!

Are you serious? Did you actually see the drives resting on the pavement? Incredible. I had them store my 348 over the winter, only to discover they'd let the (inboard) props sink into the ground! Took well over a month to get it all sorted out (bent props, shaft, out of alignment engines, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:42 pm 
Clownfish

I also had some initial storage problems during the Fall, prior to it's final resting place. They have some new folks that are in the Service department and seem to be conscientious. Any issues are being addressed. I guess it helps that this is my second boat I purchased from them (2004 Vista 268).

2007 Vista 358

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:31 pm 
AGE < LOA

That's good to hear they have some new folks in service. I'm still grappling with having them perform some warranty stuff. Dead serious Bill. It was back in 08 when I was checking out the 318s on their lot. I may even have pics of that, I'll dig though my album if I get a chance here shortly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:17 pm 
Sierra

Getting close 8)

Easy splash anticipated. New anodes and a bit of bottom paint touch-up.
Being the third season I'm going to have my mechanic take a particularly close look at the state of things in the engine room with a
trained eye just to be sure.
I'll also check engine alignment this year once the boat's been in the water for a bit and probably replace my impellers as I approach
150 hours.
I'm also having my detailer use the Star brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF for the first time having seen
and heard about excellent results from others - I will report back on the results .
I hope to pick her up in a week and a half... not a moment too soon :D :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next