www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: V348/V358 Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:55 pm 
email admin your custom rank

rberm congratulations on your new boat. You are going to love the 358. Where do you do your boating at?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:38 pm 
AGE < LOA

Congrats! Did they give you a gel date? Larry, I think he said he's on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. Good friends of mine have a gorgeous cabin on the lake up there and I still haven't made it up there for a visit. Maybe I can get up there this year... and at least haul the jetski up to do some exploring. On a side note, how is the New York show? I'm still planning to head up this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:47 am 
Shark

I'm at the Jersey shore. We boat out of Shore Haven Yacht club in Pt. Pleasant. Thanks for the info on your crusaders. I can't seem to find anyone that has a 348/358 with the 5.7 volvo package. I'm wondering why the dealer and factory are pushing these drives???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:24 am 

The V358 is the only current Four Winns boat with Crusaders available. So if I was a dealer selling FW boats and all my customers had either Merc's or Volvo, I'd have all the tools, manuals and training for them. If one guy wanted to buy a different engine, that would make me buy tools and manuals, plus send a mechanic off to training, I might try to point that guy in another direction. But that's just a guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 pm 

I have the Volvo 5.7 I/O. You are looking at the In boards right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:22 pm 
Shark

Yes the 5.7 Vdrive inboards with 320HP. According to the spec's the crusaders don't offer much more in the way of speed. Only 2 mph at top end. 1mph at cruise of 3500 rpm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:31 am 
Minnow

According to boattest.com the boat with the crusader package cruises at 22.4 knts, 25.8 mph with 5/8 ths fuel and no water at 3500 rpm. http://www.boattest.com/oem/test-result ... rom_gi=yes

According to this article with the 6.2l merc inboard package which is similar to the 5.7l volvos it is much slower cruising at only 19.5 knots at 3500rpm. About a 5mph difference at cruise which is significant.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boat-review/2542382.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:23 pm 
Sierra

More Pix... these from the NYC Boat Show. They give you a good sense of the teak & holly floor in the cabin and the open floor plan. And it was nice to finally see the electronics fired up...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:30 pm 

Is that how you ordered your 358. With the teak & Holly floor. The only thing I wish I could change on ours. Are the steps into the cabin. I wish they would be the normal style.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:20 pm 
Sierra

I liked the teak and holly floors a lot but was afraid the dog would scratch them up. The lay-in carpet configuration still has a section of teak and holly by the galley, which is a really nice touch. Then I thought, 'what if I get the wood floors and also order the carpet as an add-on since it just lays in easily and will have the cut-out by the galley,' so that's what I did. The best of both worlds at a (relatively) negligible cost. I'll roll it up when the dog's not aboard (which is not that often) - the wood floor really adds additional warmth to what I think is already a very warm cabin. I give FW credit for using a lay-in carpet rather than snap in, in both the cockpit and cabin. It makes much more sense. I do like the steps better configured the way they are now. I would have gotten used to the puzzle-style but it would have made my dog mad, and we can't have that. The one option I added after going to the show was the flag pole. I'm not necessarily the flag-waiving type, but it's a nice design and was not expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:29 pm 

We got use to the puzzle-style. Also the dog did to. I just hope when she gets older its not to much of a problem for her. She is always on the boat with us. Even if I go by my self. She still come along.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:25 pm 
wkearney99

Aiiiieeee! Not Flexi-teek at the helm! Noooooo! Heh, that's mainly for the folks who know how much I despise the Flexi-teek. It just gets too damn hot to walk on.

I agree about the carpet. We find the carpet also offers nice sound deadening. It's MUCH quieter down below with the carpet laid down. I would like the cut-out for in front of the galley. One thing you learn is to put a towel or rag under the front of the fridge BEFORE you open it for the first time after being away from the boat for a few days. Coke cans on the top shelf that freeze and leaks all over the place are not your carpet's best friend... That and various bits of food and other food prep debris wouldn't be a problem with that inset.

The steps, eh, you get used to them. The new ones intrude a little more into the cabin but probably not enough to be a concern.

The trouble with flag poles is where to mount them? There's not really a "good place" to mount one on the 348. I've never liked the kind that stick up from the transom when there's a swim platform like ours. The pole tends to be sticking in your face when you're on the platform. Not a good thing for safety. That and I offer up enough to Davey Jones already, I don't need the pole knocking me or my sunglasses into the drink while I'm trying to hop-to at the stern with lines. That and it'd interfere with the camper canvas back.

The bow pole kind tend to obstruct your forward view. That and the force of the wind up there will really test the strength of the mounting. I had a cheap one up there and it spun loose, gouging the rail a bit in the process. Granted, this was during 50kt gusts in a sudden storm, but still...

And given the factory mounting positions for everything up on the radar arch there's not a lot of room up there either! At least not one that's convenient for easy removal (again, if the canvas is up). I have used the VHF antenna to fly a club burgee (Chesapeake Power Boat Association). I just used a couple of beefy cable zip ties to hold it in place. Those gadgets that ride on the pole? Yeah, well, Davy Jones has one of those from me too.

So I'm kind of out of ideas about where to put one on the 348/358.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:43 pm 
Sierra

The flagpole was definitely one of those impulse buys (that later get you in trouble?) I liked the stainless steel mount fixture and pole, how easily it's installed and removed and how good it looks when it's in. I'm guessing I'll pop it in less than it will be out. It's that small button by the corner canvas snap in this picture...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:24 pm 
wkearney99

Aha, so that's where they're putting it. Ick, that puts it just where foot needs to plant when climbing up onto the dock. And if the pole is present you'll have it angled right in front of where you'd step down. But being out there would at least keep it clear of the camper canvas itself but wouldn't help the walking path. It'd make it even more of a hassle to get up and around the side gunwale. Right now it's a little tough because the step is a bit small. Combine that with no secure hand-hold and it'd be tricky.

But, like I said, there's really no "good" place to put one on this boat design. Tough life, ain't it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 pm 
Sierra

wkearney99 wrote:
Tough life, ain't it?

Exactly right Bill... I'll call it a happy problem! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next