www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 am 
Shark

This past spring the Admiral and I and have been discussing changing boats, I really didn't think she was serious until I woke up sunday morning and she was on Boatrader. Score! We've really enjoyed our 328, don't want to rush in to anything, so maybe this fall we make a change.
We eventually want to end up in a sedan bridge, but not quite ready yet. When we go sedan bridge, we will be changing lakes.
So, I think we have it narrowed down to 2 choices. A Formula 400ss or FW 378. I'm leaning Formula, she likes the permanent forward birth of the 378.
I've been on the 400, but not the 378.
I thought maybe some 378 owners could chime in and give any feedback pros or cons for the 378.
Both have great lines. Thanks for any feedback for either boat.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:49 pm 
Starfish

Hello,

I am a satisfied owner of a 2005-378 with twin Volvo 8.1's....This is our 3rd season with her (had a FW 298 previously).

We looked at many different cruiser-style boats in the 40ft range before making our purchase (Cruiser Yachts, Regal and SeaRay).

I am not familiar with the Formula 400 (what year??) but I know that they build a quality product (very nice finishes)....from memory, I think Formula boats have a larger cockpit area and smaller interior space than a similar size FW?
I do not think the Formula has a seperate shower (would be a deal-breaker for us - the separate shower is at the top of our must-have list).

Regarding the 378 (LOA @ 41'-3'')..
In my opinion, it is a couples boat with room for overnight guests on the pullout double aft couch.
We selected the 378 due to the enormous interior space and the wrap around couch (we have had 8 people on the couch). We did not want an aft cabin or 2nd head. The interior space of the 378 is class-leading.
Notably,we also love the following:

<> We wanted an off-center door to downstairs - we do not like the center door....the 378 door is located on the Port-side & has a screen option.
<> On the port-side beside the doorway is a large locker that holds our BBQ, cleaning supplies and a pail...I have never seen such a large area on a 40-45' yacht!
<> Large head with large-separate shower with seat....separate shower is a must if you spend allot of time away or on the hook.
<> Large L-shaped galley and two fridges and holly/teak galley flooring...what size fridge in the Formula?
<> Huge V-birth (between a Queen & King)
<> Central Vac
<> We love the design of the cockpit area with the huge u-shaped seating and extra settee.
<> The double helm seats with separate bolsters is a nice touch.
<> Additional cockpit fridge, ice-maker and sink is great for entertaining.
<> 9ft headroom in cockpit is outstanding and provides an open feeling unparalleled by most yachts.
<> Electric engine hatch is a nice touch
<> The large swim platform (Flexiteek option) is a necessity!
<> We have equipped our 378 with both a bow & stern thruster...IPS maneuverability but with the reliability of electric thrusters (IPS scares me - if it goes or malfunctions watch out!).

We really have no negatives about the boat....really!
The ride and performance is solid with the 8.1's delivering more power than is needed (top speed around 40 mph) and quick out of the hole.

I hope this review is helpful and good luck with whatever boat you decide to purchase.
Ps: Google FW 378 on YouTube for a video review.

Cheers!

Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:14 pm 
Shark

We also enjoy our 2008 378Vista. Ours has IPS and diesel set up. Great boat, has treated us well. Not too familiar with the 40SS, but the 378V has plenty of room for my two teenage kids and us. We spend 4-5 nights on it multiple times per summer. I love having IPS and diesels...will never get another boat without them. My wife and I have talked about moving to a bigger boat, so if you are really in the market for a 378V...pm me and every boat is for sale for the right price! :D ***edit*** we have never had any issues with our IPS or VP diesels (knock on wood! LOL)

Previously
'06 318 Vista
'97 258 Vista
'98 195 Sundowner
'87 180 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:57 pm 
Minnow

I just got my 378 , traded in rinker 312 and we love it , plenty of room to cruise 12 people up top and we have had 8 people down below partying. People from all over the marina and visitors have to walk over and see my boat , everyone wants to know where did find this boat , their is not any else like her on the lake , which is center hill lake in Tn
You might want to reconsider a flybridge , I don't about the wind at priest or old hickory , two of my buddies just got Carvers , aft cabin and an SS they can't stay out with any wind ,while I'm having no problems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:25 pm 
Shark

Thanks for the replies. We'll be taking a closer look this summer and make some kind of decision fall/winter time frame. I just wanted to check and see if there was anything that owners regretted or would change. From what I've seen, it's a fantastic boat that's laid out well. It might not sound like a big deal, but the walk through windshield is a deal killer for us. I understand why, but still surprised at how few bigger boats don't have it.
Bob - If I had the money, I would write you a check today. That is a beautiful boat, but I'm afraid it might be a little out of range.
Shawtony - I go over to Center Hill a few times a year with some go-fast folks. Might give you a shout next time.
Really appreciate the feedback, I'll let you know if we join the club.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:35 am 
Starfish

Shark...

No problem and pleased to assist.

Happy Boating!!

Clayton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Four Winns are certainly nice but Formula is typically regarded to be in a higher tier. Although, I don't think you would be disappointed with the quality of Four Winns either.

I would also check out the Tiara 4100. My wife's uncle bought a 1994 model year with twin diesels and you would swear it was only a few years old. His has the optional swim platform that sinks into the water for dinghy launch and retrieval, really slick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:48 am 

Never owned either, but have been on a V378. Amazing is all I can say. Also, isn't the 400SS considered more of "speed" cruiser? I've seen pics of the interior and it appears to be just a really long cuddy.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:31 am 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
Never owned either, but have been on a V378. Amazing is all I can say. Also, isn't the 400SS considered more of "speed" cruiser? I've seen pics of the interior and it appears to be just a really long cuddy.

This is true. If you want a Formula with more room, look into the Formula PC models rather than SS. The Formula 37 PC would be closer to the V378. The SS models are faster, the PC models are roomier.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:04 pm 
Shark

So, our timeline might be moving up quite a bit. Even though we were planning to list the boat this winter, we just got an offer that we probly won't say no to.
That means, our search just kicked in to overdrive. The admiral has me sold on the 378, so now just finding the right deal.
Couple questions...
1. Salty boats with closed loop cooling, I know I could be looking at replacing the risers or heat exchanger, but anything else to worry about?
2. Survey and mechanic will check engines, transmissions, and boat overall. After seatrial, anything else to double check on? Compression check etc.
3. Does the 03 378 have the shades built in the 3 round deck hatches? Not the discontinued hatches are they?
4. Are misc parts still available for the 03, deck hatches, bow pads, other misc stuff etc?
I hate rushing in to a purchase, but truthfully, I guess we've been looking for a year or 2.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:40 am 

Can't answer all your questions but Four Winns will support parts for 17 years. On our old '97 they officially stopped support last year, but the design continued on after our model year so we can still get parts.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:17 am 
Minnow

My foward berth has a shade built in the deck hatch , but the other 2 don't have it , All I have is a screen that we put in when we open the hatches,

Lake Cumberland there is a four winns dealer who can get parts that you need
Just make sure the surveyor checks all the shaft seals and alignment on shaft , counting me there were 4 us , who got new boats last years and we all have to some sort work done on the shafts or seals not a big deal , but annoying to get some one down to fix it

I like my hardtop , but won't have one again, you need a semi with a crane to move it , with out it you could move a 378 with a dually
I know your wife will love a 378 , you can't beat the storage and finish that comes with it , not another boat like them on the water

I have a buddy on priest who just got a 97 regal 402 with a blue top , do happen to know him ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 am 
Shark

Tony- We haven't been out for the last few weeks, actually went to Cumberland this past wkd for the poker run. I'll look for your buddies 402 this wkd. I actually have 2 friends with 402s, one on priest and another on Old Hickory. Those are big boats!! How do think the 378 compares?
thanks for your response.
Rob

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:22 pm 
Minnow

I have only been on a newer 4060 , it was very nice , but the 2 staterooms made it seem a lot smaller inside, since it is only my wife and me the 378 suits us just fine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:21 am 
Shark

I think we have found our next boat. 06 - 378! Only problem, I thought we had a buyer for our 328, but it fell through.
The owner of the 378 is being patient, but I don't want to loose out on the deal.
So, our 328 is officially on the market. Trailer available and negotiable if anyone is looking.
thx
Rob

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity