www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding a V berth curtain
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Just wondering if anyone has added a privacy curtain for the V berth on a smaller cruiser like the 268? Also wondering if anyone has pics of a 268 with the headliner down...is there wood to screw something into? Thanks

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 am 

Bliss36 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has added a privacy curtain for the V berth on a smaller cruiser like the 268? Also wondering if anyone has pics of a 268 with the headliner down...is there wood to screw something into? Thanks

You're just going to need a bigger boat!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:07 am 

Flyer51 wrote:
Bliss36 wrote:

But if we get a bigger boat then we won't be able to visit our friends on Lake Shelbyville :cry:

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:26 pm 

I might have what your looking for...bought materials to add curtains to both windows in our forward berth but never used them.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:48 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
Flyer51 wrote:
Bliss36 wrote:

But if we get a bigger boat then we won't be able to visit our friends on Lake Shelbyville :cry:

Don't let those Shelbyville Friends hold you back. Springfield Rocks!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:41 pm 

alex8q4 wrote:
Bliss36 wrote:
Flyer51 wrote:

Don't let those Shelbyville Friends hold you back. Springfield Rocks!

Well Alex if I get a bigger boat then I cant come visit my Ontario friends either,and considering the fact that I think about the North Channel on a daily basis that pretty much rules it out. Ive been thinking about a 288 for years but if it keeps me from the NC its not worth it for us. We really just need something to block the light out and prevent our baby from constatly getting woke up. Sounds like Firecadet might have the answer, now we'll have to see if Ive got the cajones to put a hole in the headliner for a curtain track :D

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:50 am 

A couple of 4" drywall screws right into the headliner should work fine :twisted: That will help with the non-skid up above also. Its a win-win!

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:28 pm 
Dolphin

Ha Bliss.
I am literally in the same boat. A 268 with 1 kid !! We also thought about moving up to a288 but it's gonna be a ton of $$ for a little bit of with.We did do a upgrade this year that has made all the difference we sleep in the aft and my daughter sleeps in the v berth and leaves us no wear to sit when the bed is made. I had a new filler cushion made half the length of the old one and made a new insert out of starboard so now we leave the bed made or covered with toys and a kid watching cartoons. And it leaves us with 2 places to sit to enjoy are coffee or just get out of the way and it allows you to stand on the step up to reach the shelves in the front of the v berth. I can't believe how this has helped my wife's biggest complaint with the boat was set up the bed break down the bed now we just leave it.
Good luck with the little one aboard.

Pipe dreams

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:05 am 

I didn't realize you had a new family member joining the crew... Congratulations on that.

I now get why you want the curtain. We have 2 young boys who sleep in the aft cabin for similar reasons.

I believe the track for the aft curtain is just screwed into the head liner. I just checked the parts guide and you can buy the track. Perhaps if you figure out who the manufacturer is, they could sell you a longer length.

As for my comment above, it was a Simpsons joke that I couldn't stop myself from typing. I fully understand the tough decision of moving out of the 268. I struggled with it, and I don't even trailer the distance you guys do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:46 am 

alex8q4 wrote:
I believe the track for the aft curtain is just screwed into the head liner.

On my 298V, it looks like they cut out a curvy piece of 1/2" plywood 4.5" wide and attached two 1 1/4" pieces of ply at 90 degree angle to go on either side of the track, covered it in vinyl and then screwed the plywood piece to the headliner with 3 big screws and then screwed the track into the plywood piece.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:46 am 

You should be able to open up one ceiling light fixture to see what is there. On my '02 268 it feels like there is a plywood panel that extends about 8 inches aft of the Bomar hatch. Feel around on the ceiling to make sure there is a good flat surface with no hidden obstacles. If things change you can find decorative screw covers or something to fill holes that are no longer used.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:53 pm 

Pipedreams wrote:
Ha Bliss.
I am literally in the same boat. A 268 with 1 kid !! We also thought about moving up to a288 but it's gonna be a ton of $$ for a little bit of with.We did do a upgrade this year that has made all the difference we sleep in the aft and my daughter sleeps in the v berth and leaves us no wear to sit when the bed is made. I had a new filler cushion made half the length of the old one and made a new insert out of starboard so now we leave the bed made or covered with toys and a kid watching cartoons. And it leaves us with 2 places to sit to enjoy are coffee or just get out of the way and it allows you to stand on the step up to reach the shelves in the front of the v berth. I can't believe how this has helped my wife's biggest complaint with the boat was set up the bed break down the bed now we just leave it.
Good luck with the little one aboard.

Pipe dreams

That's great, how old is your kid and how is the 268 working out for you? Right now I'm feeling like the 268 is perfect for the 3 of us...we will see how it changes in a few years. I think Hutch9900 has us beat with 3 little ones aboard a 278, and they take long trips! I really like your idea because it would still give us some room to access the compartments and give my wife a place to sit while feeding the little guy. I'm gonna have my canvas guy look into sewing a cover and making a partial fill in, because I could easily make the smaller fill in board out of material I already have. Thanks for the great idea! Do you happen to have any pics of this modification?
alex8q4 wrote:
I didn't realize you had a new family member joining the crew... Congratulations on that.

I now get why you want the curtain. We have 2 young boys who sleep in the aft cabin for similar reasons.

I believe the track for the aft curtain is just screwed into the head liner. I just checked the parts guide and you can buy the track. Perhaps if you figure out who the manufacturer is, they could sell you a longer length.

As for my comment above, it was a Simpsons joke that I couldn't stop myself from typing. I fully understand the tough decision of moving out of the 268. I struggled with it, and I don't even trailer the distance you guys do.

Haha I was wondering what the connection was between a guy from Ontario and Springfield Illinois :lol: Im starting to think a permanent install would not be a good idea for resale. Firecadet stopped by our slip with his spare curtains and track assemblies from another project and we started brainstorming some good ideas for a temporary install. The top forward corner of the head and the top forward corner above the microwave are in a perfect straight line from each other so if I can hide 2 attachment points a simple curtain on a bungee might be the ticket. It is also the perfect width and height for a single curtain panel to be folded in half for complete black out. When not in use it could be rolled up and stored...it could also be moved to 2 attachment points forward for Pipedreams modification. I will take some pics once I get started on this, hopefully next weekend.
Here's my little Co-Captain :D
ImageUntitled by Ben & Dana, on Flickr
And here he is in desperate need of a blackout curtain
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/GBE6in by Ben & Dana, on Flickr
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/HpMYk9 by Ben & Dana, on Flickr

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:09 am 
Dolphin

Bliss shoot me a message with a email that I can send some pics too.

Pipedreams I

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:59 am 

Ben, maybe you could just use a spring loaded shower curtain rod? I would think that would be way cheaper and just as effective for keeping out the light. http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/ ... 98_600.jpg. You can get some good blackout curtains to go with it :wink:

I will be interested to see how this goes. I was considering doing a curtain there as well, but who needs privacy when there are 5 on a 278??

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:39 am 

hutch9900 wrote:
I will be interested to see how this goes. I was considering doing a curtain there as well, but who needs privacy when there are 5 on a 278??

Very true :lol: Hopefully I'll have it done by the time we see you next

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon