www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchor Chain tensioner
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Anyone install one of these on their Vista?
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50337

Any pictures?
I was thinking of getting one after a rough trip last year had my anchor banging all over the place in the roller. It's either this or using bungee strapes to keep it from moving so much. I figure this will look nicer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:32 pm 

I have a similar latch on my 268 and it works very well. I don't have a windlass.....yet. My latch was installed behind the original chain stop. The only issue I have noticed is that we sometimes have to readjust the latch, depending on how the anchor sets into the roller bracket. Ours has a threaded fitting that the hook screws in to, which makes adjustment easy. No other adjustment nuts are used.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 am 

Got any pictures? I'm curious as to where it is mounted.
I don't have a windlass yet either. Will a windlass hold the anchor and chain tight while underway?
I have a chain stop and a safety lanyard, but there is no way to really hold the anchor tight in the roller.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:06 am 

JeffLW wrote:
Got any pictures? I'm curious as to where it is mounted.
I don't have a windlass yet either. Will a windlass hold the anchor and chain tight while underway?
I have a chain stop and a safety lanyard, but there is no way to really hold the anchor tight in the roller.

Yes, it does hold the anchor while under way. I would still put the stop down anyway though. The windlass will solve both problems really, as it holds the chain tight and makes it so the anchor wont move at all.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 am 
Shark

I would still have a chain stopper on your boat, even with a windlass. Two ways you can do it. (Besides bungee cords)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am 

afw200 wrote:
I would still have a chain stopper on your boat, even with a windlass. Two ways you can do it. (Besides bungee cords)

I have this chain stopper now. If I add a windlass this would stay.
My problem is in rough seas the stop above wasn't cutting it. It let the chain slip a few links which made me nervous and glad I have a safety lanyard on it.
Just wondering if the windlass is enough to pull the anchor tight to the roller, or it adding one of these as well would help.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:32 am 
Shark

The windlass will hold it in most conditions, but IMO it's a good idea to add the catch you posted, just for peace of mind.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:04 pm 

Sorry, I don't have any close up pictures. This is the unit the previous owner installed. After looking at the catalog picture I see that the hook was originally bent more than when I bought the boat. I'm sure that this was due to forcing the handle down rather than adjusting the hook. I can grab the anchor and try to shake it without it moving in the roller bracket. It does not move at all while under way on the water or on the trailer.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50337

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:06 am 
Minnow

http://www.boat-project.com/mech/windlass20a.jpg

How does this standard chain stop work when releasing the anchor?
Just purchased an 05 248 and want to make sure I release the anchor properly.
I assumed the pin is pulled out, the tensioner 'flap' is pulled up and the chain is released?
Then tied the anchor line to the cleat?
And when retreiving the anchor, the process is reversed?
Appreciate any info.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:44 am 

Krauthawk wrote:
http://www.boat-project.com/mech/windlass20a.jpg

How does this standard chain stop work when releasing the anchor?
Just purchased an 05 248 and want to make sure I release the anchor properly.
I assumed the pin is pulled out, the tensioner 'flap' is pulled up and the chain is released?
Then tied the anchor line to the cleat?
And when retreiving the anchor, the process is reversed?
Appreciate any info.

It flips up and out of the way. No need to pull the pin.
I never did add a chain tensioner to my boat. I just use a couple bungees to hold the anchor still for long trips on the big lake.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:52 pm 
Minnow

Thnx Jeff. Only had my boat out once and the anchor didn't bounce around. It's heavy and tight against the holder, but then again I am boating on a TN lake that doesn't get many big waves.
Previous owner had a second smaller anchor that he used on the rear I assume to keep the boat from swaying back and forth in windy conditions.
BTW, you have a great looking boat. Mine looks just like it, but with a 5.0 Volvo Penta. Runs great.
Looking forward to getting out on it this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:33 pm 

Yeah 99% of the time I don't have a problem with the anchor bouncing. But the big lake can get nasty in a hurry and it is no fun going onto the bow in 4' swells to secure the anchor. :shock: I learned that the hard way.

I have a second anchor as well. I use it when we want to back up to the beach or sand bar in shallow water. Drop the front anchor in deep water, then back up to where you want to be and set the rear. I'll usually jump in and walk the rear anchor to were I want it. You can see both lines in my sig picture. In deeper water I just use the bow anchor. Using the rear anchor also depends on what everyone around you is doing. If they are all using two anchors then you'll want to as well so you don't swing into them when the wind changes.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:03 pm 
Minnow

Thnx again for the info. Very useful. Any idea on on where I can get a foredeck hatch screen? Didn't come with the boat. FW dealer?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:47 am 

Our windlass on our 328 has the same set up as the picture posted above (the pic showing the metal square piece with notch for chain which acts as chain stop) but I would without question add a secondary method to help secure the chain and anchor from pulling out of the windlass in rough conditions.

We would always use two bungee cords to help hold the anchor up snug in the anchor pulpit area and thought that the two bungees would help with securing the anchor in the windlass and would help relieve some strain in having the anchor pull out from the windlass in rough conditions. I had always been a little concerned that if that metal square piece wasn't properly lowered and captured the chain right, that that would just leave the windlass and bungees cords to hold the anchor in. Well in one rough crossing of Lake Erie that little concern I had came to light. Somehow (forgotten or flipped up in rough stuff) that metal square piece was up, the anchor came out enough to snap the bungee cords and then I had an anchor kissing some waves on plane that came back against our bow gel coat. Talk about a way to piss you off at the start of a holiday.

We simply purchased two vinyl wrapped light cables with metal clips and now secure the anchor by clipping to chain link close to anchor and back to anchor cleat. Simply and effective.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:27 pm 
Minnow

Had my 248 out last weekend and decided to drop the plow type anchor in a small cove. What a heavy sob!! Non windlass. Now thinking about replacing it with a lighter Slip ring type anchor. Anybody do this conversion? Any issues? It takes everything I have to pull the current plow type out of the water and return to its set position.