www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:57 pm 
Seahorse

Hi all

I'm hoping and praying someone here can help. I bought a 2008 four winns vista 258 from Yach Brokers in Ft Lauderdale, they said it ran a bit rough, they lied. When I got it home it was completely siezed (my fault for not getting inspection)

It had a volvo penta 5.7 inboard engine.

So I went to miami and bought a reman long block. Had a year guarantee.

Now comes my problem, I got sidetracked with work and took me ages until I got round to having the engines swapped. I built a lift using pallet racking and got help from mechanic friend and we swapped out the engines. The new one went in fine and after fitting new fuel pump, riser and manifold, starts on the button and seems to run OK. My problem is I no longer have a truck big enough to take it down a boat ramp (went form F350 to F150) so decided to sell the boat.

Potential buyer came along, he bought an inspector who said the boat had low compression on 2 cylinders. This was devastating to hear, engine was out of warranty and as far as I coudl tell was new.

I'm stuck now, not sure what to do. Its never even been run in. SOme people say it definitely has a problem, soemone else said that the rings on those 2 cylinders may not have rotated yet and it may take high RPM until they move round which resolves the compression.

I would be so grateful for any suggestions, or ideas. One suggestion was to get it on the water and open it up a little to see if it does resolve itself. Does anyone think that may help or have any other ideas?

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Keep in mind that a new or re man engine has to have the hydraulic tappets adjusted (some later model Chevy small blocks have a non adjustible valve train). If they are adjusted too tight; that can cause comp test results to be low.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:57 pm 

Do your own compression test and leak down test if needed. Go from there if anything is out of sorts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 pm 

Spray some fogging oil in to the culprit cylinders & see if the compression comes back.
It may just need a good run with load to seat the rings.