www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help please...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:49 pm 
Sting Ray

Ok guys,
Took my 06' 288 for a 100 hr. It was running good. Came back after plug change, smoking. The MAP sensor went bad. I replaced it. A few days later, I went to start it and it made the dreaded battery dead noise. I took battery to check it and indeed it was bad. Replaced it. Next it turned but no joy. Since I replaced the ignition coil on one side, I replaced it on that one. Still no joy. Now it started to sound like the started was going bad, it will click but no turn or it was a bad turning with sounds of starter going bad. I replaced the starter. I noticed the wire from started back to switch was frayed at the started. I replaced the tip, cut 4 inches off installed a new copper tip for the starter. Still turns like there is not enough juice. Any guesses?
PS. Anyone needing to change their starter on a 288 Starboard with gen package. I had to remove manifold and risers to get to starter! What a pain.

Post subject: Re: Help please...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:55 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Odds are against a new battery with bad cells.... I would think there is no issue with the new starter dragging...

So, maybe bad connections at the battery switch? Maybe a bad ground on the engine? Or a bad terminal end like you found at the starter....

What a pain, not sure where you are located, but, around here, it's the time to work these bugs out before the season starts....

Good luck!

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Do these engines use an assist solenoid?
If so check both the terminals and the voltage there & at the starter solenoid.
Your large positive (red) wire's terminal at both should read battert voltage.
If not you need to find out why. Could be corrosion at the ground terminals and/or a bad ground for the assist solenoid if it has one. Also check the voltage at the yellow/red wire at the starter solenoid when someone turns the key to start; should also be battery voltage.
Might want to bench test the starter off the engine.

If the starter tests good off the engine then make sure the engine is not hydro locking; remove all the plugs ground the ignition and crank over the engine. Look for water shooting out of the spark plug holes....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:48 am 
Sting Ray

UPDATE:

The engine was shot and eventually seized. I removed and replaced it but before we took it apart. Somehow salt water had entered the engine. The suspect was the flappers in the exhaust failed. They told me when the engine stalled, the water rushed in through the exhaust. Needless to say the engine was replaced and the flappers changed on both engines.