www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 am 
Livin' the Dream

When on city water, everything works great. When on the pump, it never stops, I noticed water drizzling out of the city water connection while the pump is running.... how does the water system work, I am guessing it builds pressure on the tank, and I have some type of checkvalve on the city connection not functioning properly

Thank you in advance!
Chris

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:33 am 
email admin your custom rank

chris268 wrote:
When on city water, everything works great. When on the pump, it never stops, I noticed water drizzling out of the city water connection while the pump is running.... how does the water system work, I am guessing it builds pressure on the tank, and I have some type of checkvalve on the city connection not functioning properly

Thank you in advance!
Chris

The check valve is located right behind the city water connection in the line or at least it is on mine. Pretty easy to compress the connection and remove it. That might not be you only leak though. Check you transom shower too to make sure it's not leaking. If you still encounter problems I'd get to the pump which is under my steps. I did have that connection come loose on time and it pumped water into the bilge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:19 pm 

You can try capping the city water hookup to see if that is the issue. On our 258 i put a little ball valve on it because it extended the connection. It was very hard to connect the hose. You should be able to go to hardware store and pick a cheap one up for a couple bucks. They come in handy around the house too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:11 pm 

The city water connection has a pressure regulator to lower city water pressure (typically 50-100 psi) down to approx 30-35 psi. This regulator and check valve is accessible, as Flyer51 said, by pulling the city water fitting. Or you can remove the starboard side wall in the rear storage compartment.

The water pump on the 268 is in the starboard side of the engine compartment just ahead of the fresh water tank. I assume that if you have an installed generator the water tank and pump went to the port side.

The water heater should have some air in the tank. This air space in the water heater is to reduce the likelihood that the temperature/pressure relief valve will vent the heated water into the bilge as the water heater warms up.

Look for water leaks at all water line connections. A leaking connection can often be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. If you have not worked with these connections, they are pretty simple. Do a google search and check the instructions for working with "Whale" brand or "Shark" fittings.

One tip for looking for water leaks is to use the light blue colored paper shop towels. They change to a darker color when wet. This may help when checking hard-to-see locations.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:05 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks guys, messed with this today. Went through the connections that I can see with a flashlight. No visible leaks. The city water connection was not leaking this time. The local marine mechanic suggested it could be "pressure valve". I have read on different forums there is a filter screen that could be clogged, or an internal pressure switch on the pump...

I will mess with it next Saturday morning

Past

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Just following up on this. I messed with it this afternoon. Cleaned the filter/screen between the tank and the pump. I have determined there is no leaks, so I am going to mark it up as the pressure switch being bad. $30-$40. Then I still have a 15 year old pump that may need a $50 kit to freshen it up.... going with the new pump/pressure switch for $130ish, going to install next week and hope that takes care of this issue.... that's for the help, I will post next weekend if this was it, or not :roll:

Past

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 pm 
Livin' the Dream

So, after I changed the fresh water pump, it would still chatter, like there was a leak. Couldn't find it at all.... finally, I think I found it today. When I opened the aft shower to rinse off the extended swim platform, I noticed that the shower head was letting water out. Tried to close the hot and/or cold off, no luck. Has anyone had to work on/repair or change their shower valves? Glad I at least located this issue now. Hope this fixes it

Past

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:54 am 

It looks like the shower assembly is from "Heater Craft". Here is a link to a unit that looks like ours. http://www.heatercraft.com/marine-deck- ... h-no-pump/ The price for the unit in the link is about $160.

If you just need the valves, this might be a cheaper option..... http://www.heatercraft.com/flush-mount-valve-no-switch/ This unit appears to be the two valves on a mounting plate for around $40.

I haven't seen a parts breakdown for the valves yet. You might try to disassemble and clean the valves. Did you have the water heater on and could you tell if the water was warm (which valve was leaking)? If that doesn't work it appears that a replacement assembly is available.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 am 
Livin' the Dream

Wow, can’t believe you can find factory replacement parts like that, I had no idea what it would be. I ordered the replacement valves for $41 plus shipping. This will hopefully let me get this issue resolved before I winterize in 2-3 weeks

Thank you Gary!

Past

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 pm 

chris268 wrote:
Wow, can’t believe you can find factory replacement parts like that, I had no idea what it would be. I ordered the replacement valves for $41 plus shipping. This will hopefully let me get this issue resolved before I winterize in 2-3 weeks

Thank you Gary!

If you look at the Four Winns parts list, check the part numbers in the part name/description. This is often a supplier's part number. Google and ebay can be very helpful. Pictures and part numbers go a long way.

I've noticed a lot of helpful people on this website over the last several years. Its great when the parts work and are an economical solution, ......and if not its always entertaining to help spend other people's money. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8) But seriously, I'm glad to help. We finished our 6th season on the 268 and I estimate we covered over 1800 miles this summer. 8) 8) 8) We hope everybody had as great of a season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Surface Interval wrote:
chris268 wrote:

Thank you Gary!

If you look at the Four Winns parts list, check the part numbers in the part name/description. This is often a supplier's part number. Google and ebay can be very helpful. Pictures and part numbers go a long way.

I've noticed a lot of helpful people on this website over the last several years. Its great when the parts work and are an economical solution, ......and if not its always entertaining to help spend other people's money. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8) But seriously, I'm glad to help. We finished our 6th season on the 268 and I estimate we covered over 1800 miles this summer. 8) 8) 8) We hope everybody had as great of a season.

Thanks again Gary!
The new part just showed up today. Just in time to fix it Saturday so I can winterize...

So, to get to the gaskets, the red/blue indicators on the knob are just popped off in place. I used a small pik and pulled them. That exposes the Phillips screw that holds the knob in place. Once removed, the valve is exposed, need a 3/4 socket or wrench to remove the valve from the housing. I should be able to replace the guts in a few minutes. After that, I will find the o-rings and washers and set up a replacement for the next time, going on the shelf til then.

The best laid plans..... :shock: hope this takes care of my pump not quitting....
I will let you know if it's that simple when I get done with it Saturday...

I would say we went through between $1200 and $1500 in fuel this year and covered about 500-600 miles, mostly the same path though :twisted:

Thanks all, can't wait til April! 8)

Past

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:47 pm 
Livin' the Dream

YYZ-RC wrote:
Surface Interval wrote:
We finished our 6th season on the 268 and I estimate we covered over 1800 miles this summer. 8) 8) 8)

That's incredible! And thank you Gary and Chris for your guidance and suggestions, as a boating newbie I really appreciate it. You've made my first month of FW ownership awesome, even though I've only put a couple of hours on the boat so far.

Is it spring yet?!

[/hijack]

I bought my boat at the end of the season last year (sept 29) made for a long winter, good luck. There are some great threads on here. I would start at the oldest thread in the vista section and read the threads that seemed interesting. From old to new... used to do that about once a month when I was bored. Great info and projects. Good luck on your new adventure YYZ-RC

Past

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 pm 
Livin' the Dream

That did it! When I pulled the valves, the plastic guts seemed to be falling apart. Replaced the assembly all together. Works as designed. Thanks All!

Past

Last edited by chris268 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 pm 

Fantastic! Cross another job off the list! Now for dreaming about and working on the next projects. Since my boat went to storage today for the winter, I'll do the dreaming, and you can do the "working". Of course, I'll accept all the "dreaming" help I can get! :lol: :wink: 8) Having a couple spare parts (like the pump) around may not be a bad thing. Hmmm, a wash down pump would normally be a little higher pressure, but............... :wink: On second thought, as a person is sitting on the bow spraying the anchor clean, with enough pressure it is tempting to spray the kids on the next boat. :twisted: 8) :lol: