www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:45 am 
Sting Ray

All,

My 06 288 has the 3 batteries layout. I purchased the boat with no instruction and previous owner did not know. My 2 switches have Off, On, one Port, the other Starboard, and Emergency positions.

When I try to crank engines with both in the ON setting, the engines are Dead. I need to put the switches in Port and Starboard respectively to start.

I am trying to find out where is the ON position getting electricity from and the proper way to use it. Thanks for any insight...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 am 
email admin your custom rank

From the manual here: http://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/2017/2/318-Vista.pdf

Port Engine Battery Switch:
“ON” - Turning the switch to position “ON” will use the port engine battery to power the port engine and 12 volt engine related equipment. The ships system battery will not be used for any engine related equipment, but will power all other 12 volt equipment on the boat. The isolator will allow any alternator to charge all three batteries. “ON” is the recommended switch position for normal boat operation. This position allows maximum use of 12 volt equipment on the boat.

Starboard Engine Battery Switch:
“ON” - Turning the switch to position “ON” will use the stbd engine battery to power the stbd engine and 12 volt engine related equipment. The ships system battery will not be used for any engine related equipment, but will power all other 12 volt equipment on the boat. The isolator will allow any alternator to charge all three batteries “ON” is the recommended switch position for normal boat operation. This position allows maximum use of 12 volt equipment on the boat.

Emergency Start Procedures:
If one of the designated engine batteries fails to start its respective engine, engage the “EMERGENCY START” switch at the helm and attempt to start the engine. Current is drawn from the other batteries to start the engine. Once engine has been started return the “EMERGENCY START” switch to the “OFF” position. Once back at port, be sure to have the failed
engine battery checked out for possible service or replacement.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:30 am 
Sting Ray

[quote="LVChris"]From the manual here: http://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/2017/2/318-Vista.pdf

Thanks for the info Chris. I am assuming this setup on the 318 will the same on my 288.

Using the ON position on PORT engine does nothing. Engine will not crank. When I go to PORT it starts. Any ideas as to what may be going on?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm 

I have spent way to much time looking for a pic of your set-up. Finally found one. It looks as though the Port label you described is connected (see the line) to the Emergency start. So My guess is a dead batteries as they need to be tied together to start.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:43 pm 
Sting Ray

LVChris,

Thanks fpr reply. This is what I have on my 288 and the documentation is not clear. In the ON position the engine is dead. Like a dead batterry (3 month old). When I switch it to PORT is cranks and turns on b ut at a lower speed.
https://flic.kr/p/Vdjbz9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 pm 

So I understand that the label is poorly designed. The Port switch is labeled below not within the bracket, the emergency start is anywhere within that bracket I think, there is no "port" setting. So if there is no start in the on position...there is something wrong with the electrical i.e. battery, cables, etc. I had a lot of trouble with my boat when I first got it, simply because the battery cables weren't snug. If you looked at it, everything seemed fine. Had to tighten them with channel locks to fix all the problems.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm 
Sting Ray

So I did a little trouble shooting today.

I checked the PORT battery at West Marine and its good.

With the Port switch in ON, when I turned the key, it was dead. I rechecked connections to battery, no change. I removed the ground from the PORT battery. No change.

I removed the Black(neg) from the Ships Battery and connected it to the Port Battery. Left the Switch on Port Engine in ON position, engine cranked but no SHIPS SYSTEM power. Put to Port Black(neg) to Ships Systems Negative terminal and had no Ships Power.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:20 pm 

I have not reread all the posts above, but in addition to checking that the battery connections are snug, also make sure that a battery cable is not laying behind a battery or beside a battery that you don't easily see.

My set up is similar to yours and for a couple years in a row when my marina disconnected all battery negative cables during fall lift out and winterization they failed to connect all negatives in the spring. I ended up replacing what was likely still a good starting battery just due to this battery connection issue and age of battery. If I remember correctly one of my batteries had two ground battery connections to it and one of these two grounds was laying between the batteries so it was difficult to notice and each battery still did have one ground connection so one didn't immediately suspect a missing ground connection. The engine would "click" but not turn over until you manually paralleled battery switches then engine would fire up. Hook up missing ground connection and engine starts as it should.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:00 pm 
Sting Ray

Thanks Decision... I am checking the switch tomorrow.. start over