www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trim tabs 01 298 Vista
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:46 pm 
Shark

Are the trim tabs electric or hydraulic on a 01 298? If they are hydraulic do they run off the same pump/reservoir as the power tilt of the outdrives? I have a power trim 1 power trim guage not working, and I hate not knowing position of trim tabs. Was thinking of installing a bennet trim tab pro, and getting both trim guages working.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm guessing a majority of the Vista owners (myself included) with models in the 2001 year range don't have outdrive trim gauges that actually still work. Annoying a bit, but I think most owners just trim outdrives all the way in before getting up on plane and then in equal amounts just trim drives out according to wave conditions and best GPS speed.

Trim tabs, we leave fully raised until needed for rough waves or balancing load and we don't have a monitor for them. A monitor would be interesting, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay the price for installing them.

Most members here would be interested in hearing what you decide to do. Maybe something new out there with a reasonable price? Good luck.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:39 pm 
Shark

I just bought the boat, my first. I hate not knowing where they are, both the drives and tabs. I had to rebuild the trim cylinders when boat arrived. They seem to raise at different speeds/levels no matter how I press buttons. It affects steering and control. I don't understand why the 2 drives are not locked together. Why would i want to run them in different positions? The tabs I know you want them separate. I just want to see their positions. I am an electrician so I don't mind doing the work myself-other than getting into that crowded engine bay. I have the gen set too. Nobody has accurate, working trim guages??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:56 pm 
Sting Ray

I bought my 288 last year with the same issue, not knowing where the tabs where. Mine are hydraulic. Just last week I purchased the Bennett Auto trim tab PRO and paid 4 hrs labor for install. I read through the docs and it seemed very easy to install but I did not have the time. Now I know where my tabs are at all times and the AUTO feature is great. Takes care of all the trimming for me and the boat gets on plane and off with ease.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 am 

LUBA wrote:
I just bought the boat, my first. I hate not knowing where they are, both the drives and tabs. I had to rebuild the trim cylinders when boat arrived. They seem to raise at different speeds/levels no matter how I press buttons. It affects steering and control. I don't understand why the 2 drives are not locked together. Why would i want to run them in different positions? The tabs I know you want them separate. I just want to see their positions. I am an electrician so I don't mind doing the work myself-other than getting into that crowded engine bay. I have the gen set too. Nobody has accurate, working trim gauges??

Luba, I understand your concerns with not knowing the actual position of your outdrives and trim tabs especially with the 298 being your first boat. If I may, I'd suggest you use your boat this season as is and then decide over the winter months if needing to know by gauge where your outdrives and trim tabs are is worth the cost to you.

For this season, just always make sure when starting to get up on plane that you trim your outdrives fully in, after your boat climbs over its bow wake while getting up on plane just trim both outdrives up about 1 - 2 seconds at a time when your at your cruising RPM and you should be fine. If you trim up too far your bow may "bob" up and down or you may hear your props "Cavitate", if so, just trim outdrives back in a bit.

For the trim tabs, if you feel you need them to help get on plane then, just start with them both fully extended up, so you know they are equal and then trim them both down in equal time amounts. I'd then get up on plane and fully raise them, so you know there equal and then just simply adjust them individually for balancing boat (port to starboard) and for wave conditions if you think you need the trim tabs to help your ride. Personally, I don't need to use our trim tabs to get on plane or run our boat in light wind and wave conditions, but I sure use them when it gets rougher out on the lake. I'll bet by the end of this season you'll have a much better feel of where your outdrives and trim tabs actually are without gauges.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:07 am 
Livin' the Dream

Decision wrote:
LUBA wrote:
I just bought the boat, my first. I hate not knowing where they are, both the drives and tabs. I had to rebuild the trim cylinders when boat arrived. They seem to raise at different speeds/levels no matter how I press buttons. It affects steering and control. I don't understand why the 2 drives are not locked together. Why would i want to run them in different positions? The tabs I know you want them separate. I just want to see their positions. I am an electrician so I don't mind doing the work myself-other than getting into that crowded engine bay. I have the gen set too. Nobody has accurate, working trim gauges??

Luba, I understand your concerns with not knowing the actual position of your outdrives and trim tabs especially with the 298 being your first boat. If I may, I'd suggest you use your boat this season as is and then decide over the winter months if needing to know by gauge where your outdrives and trim tabs are is worth the cost to you.

For this season, just always make sure when starting to get up on plane that you trim your outdrives fully in, after your boat climbs over its bow wake while getting up on plane just trim both outdrives up about 1 - 2 seconds at a time when your at your cruising RPM and you should be fine. If you trim up too far your bow may "bob" up and down or you may hear your props "Cavitate", if so, just trim outdrives back in a bit.

For the trim tabs, if you feel you need them to help get on plane then, just start with them both fully extended up, so you know they are equal and then trim them both down in equal time amounts. I'd then get up on plane and fully raise them, so you know there equal and then just simply adjust them individually for balancing boat (port to starboard) and for wave conditions if you think you need the trim tabs to help your ride. Personally, I don't need to use our trim tabs to get on plane or run our boat in light wind and wave conditions, but I sure use them when it gets rougher out on the lake. I'll bet by the end of this season you'll have a much better feel of where your outdrives and trim tabs actually are without gauges.

Great advice, imo. That's what I do and my outdrive trim gauge works, I do not have a gauge for the tabs. With being a new boat to me this spring, I really wanted the trim tab gauge or the auto trim feature .... after 25 hours on the boat, I am not going to spend the money adding the gauge.... thanks

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:11 am 
268 Vista

Great advice, and I will 2nd it.
Both boats we had with Bennett tabs (now owned by Yamaha) were used as Decision has mentioned. Our 268 had no position
indicators, our 282CR had indicators, but I never really paid attention to them. It's actually quite easy to just do as Decision mentioned and /or go by feel.
After a few trips, you may find the cost is not worth it just to "see" where your tabs are. That money could be better used for more fuel, or beverages.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 pm 
Shark

Thanks guys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:12 pm 
Dolphin

LUBA wrote:
I just bought the boat, my first. I hate not knowing where they are, both the drives and tabs. I had to rebuild the trim cylinders when boat arrived. They seem to raise at different speeds/levels no matter how I press buttons. It affects steering and control. I don't understand why the 2 drives are not locked together. Why would i want to run them in different positions? The tabs I know you want them separate. I just want to see their positions. I am an electrician so I don't mind doing the work myself-other than getting into that crowded engine bay. I have the gen set too. Nobody has accurate, working trim guages??

My previous Regal had individual port / starboard thumb controls for the drives - I usually operated both in tandem. My Four Winns has one thumb control, and the port drive will be several inches higher than the starboard if lifted up so the props are exposed, such as anchoring in shallow water. I wish there were dual controls, so I could compensate for the difference in speeds. Is there any way to make dual controls from the single control? There must be a splitter somewhere in the wiring.

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:47 am 
Shark

So are the stock tabs on an 01 electric? I don't see any hydraulic lines or fuses/breakers....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:50 pm 

LUBA wrote:
I hate not knowing position of trim tabs.

In rough water, I am working my trim tabs constantly to keep the boat balanced and with time, you will get the feel of your boat and not think twice about it. If you think not having trim tab gauges is bad, just wait until your trim sender gauges go out. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:48 am 
Shark

298VISTA2000 wrote:
LUBA wrote:
I hate not knowing position of trim tabs.

In rough water, I am working my trim tabs constantly to keep the boat balanced and with time, you will get the feel of your boat and not think twice about it. If you think not having trim tab gauges is bad, just wait until your trim sender gauges go out. :D

One of my trim sender gauges doesn't work now, and the other one seems slow and inaccurate. It sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 am 

LUBA wrote:
One of my trim sender gauges doesn't work now, and the other one seems slow and inaccurate. It sucks.

Both mine are out and have been for years and you really don't need them either. Again, after using your boat a while, you will develop a feel for what angle the out drives need to be at for maximum performance at a certain speed. As for making sure they are in sync, you can look back at your prop wash and each should be similar in size.